So I have a chance to pick up a JC 50 w/ an upgraded evm speaker in it for 200 dollars. Is this worth it, and would this be able to do alternative sounds w/ pedals like foo fighters or incubus?
Yes. If you don't want it I'll buy it.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Not really but it is one of THE best amps for cleans. I'd pick it up and use it for clean intervals e.t.c £100 is nothing.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
It's a good price, I would buy it if I had the money. But the Jazz Chorus is great for cleans, I'm not sure how well it would work for what you described.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
^Have you tried one with pedals? I've been told they're a bit uninspiring with a tubescreamer or something of that sort. (maybe it was slats that said that?)
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Have you tried one with pedals? I've been told they're a bit uninspiring with a tubescreamer or something of that sort. (maybe it was slats that said that?)

I have the JC-77, and yeah, it is underwhelming with a tubescreamer. But it's really cool with the Fuzz Factory, especially combined with the built in chorus. I could see it doing some decent pedal assisted Incubus type stuff, but the high gain Foo Fighters stuff maybe not so much.

Still, for $200, it's a nice amp to have.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by guitaruboy
isn't a tubescreamer a overdrive though which is meant for tube amps

Yep. Distortion would be better for a solid-state.
Quote by HICKORYsmokes
So I have a chance to pick up a JC 50 w/ an upgraded evm speaker in it for 200 dollars. Is this worth it, and would this be able to do alternative sounds w/ pedals like foo fighters or incubus?

Thats a great deal for a great amp. Get yourself a tonebone tube distortion pedal to sit in front of it and you will be good to go.
Not taking any online orders.
Great price. Won't quite handle what you want without a pedal but it's a deal worth jumping on.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
guitaruboy: Yes, it's an OD pedal. That doesn't mean it's just for tube amps. It emulates a tube amp. It's just fine to use it on SS amps.

werty22: That's just plain wrong, sorry. OD pedals work just like they should on SS amps.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Alright, thanks for the help, I think I am going to pick this up this weekend and let everybody know how it turns out
Quote by TNfootballfan62
guitaruboy: Yes, it's an OD pedal. That doesn't mean it's just for tube amps. It emulates a tube amp. It's just fine to use it on SS amps.

werty22: That's just plain wrong, sorry. OD pedals work just like they should on SS amps.

Sorry. I guess I've been misinformed.
^ Hope I didn't come off as being mean about it, just trying to get my point across.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Sort of.

The purpose of an overdrive pedal is to overdrive a tube amp into power stage saturation. You CAN use them for solid state amps, but they're really mnade for tube amps.
^They are made to sound like an overdriven tube amp. If you want something to simply push the amp harder, that's a clean boost. Can OD pedals help push the amp? Yes, and that's part of why they're so popular with tube amps, but what they are made to do is to sound like an overdriven amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
So I played the amp today, and it is amazing, and in really good shape, I am going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions about which dirt pedal I should get to run in front of this thing, I am looking to get a tube pedal, So I need some suggestions, I need some suggestions for the sound I am looking for (Like Foo fighters)
I like the pedals made by radial. The tonbone classic is probably my favorite.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by al112987
Sort of.

The purpose of an overdrive pedal is to overdrive a tube amp into power stage saturation. You CAN use them for solid state amps, but they're really mnade for tube amps.

Overdrive pedals use transistor, or valve (those pedals with valves in them) clipping to sound like an overdriven valve amp. Raising the volume of one would overdrive a valve amp, but their purpose is to introduce slight distortion to the circuit.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
^

How can you deny that? The man listens to BB King.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
You're being sigged, Mr SRV listener . To stay on topic... um, I like the Jazz Chorus. Have you got it yet, TS?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
^

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by UpTheIrons!
You're being sigged, Mr SRV listener . To stay on topic... um, I like the Jazz Chorus. Have you got it yet, TS?

I am going to pick it up in the next hour or so I'll let you know how it is.
Just got home w/ the amp and was jamming for a while. This thing is everything that I was looking for, I also feel that the ev speaker adds alot to the amp, once I got it w/ my pedals it seems like it is going to be just want i am looking for, Thanks for all the help everybody.
Nice. I really want a Jazz Chorus . One of my dream amps at the mo. Next time I go to the music shop I'll try one .
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah