Page 1 of 2
Okay hopefully the title sums it up for you: I want to see how many sellout bands you guys can list I will start it out with an easy one...
Sellout #1 : Nickelback.
Just doit like that. Voice your opinion, it has no use otherwise.
These bands don't give a **** about your opinion.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
any one of those ''bands'' you see that made it through disney, i.e. Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers etc........
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Hm...

Uh...

Looks like I'm done.

Changing styles =/= selling out.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Green Day
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by tr3nt
These bands don't give a **** about your opinion.

And did I say I care if they do? No. I am saying that these bands suck now cause of what theyve done and this thread was about sellouts and the opinions of the people not of the bands.
Quote by Orbit91
Metallica.

no bob rock drugged them all...well that theroy gives me hope!
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Quote by Maggot3000
any one of those ''bands'' you see that made it through disney, i.e. Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers etc........

given the opportunity, I'd probably take a contract with Disney
whooooo caaaarrrreeeesssss

honestly what does this list accomplish except to serve as a reminder of the success of an artist you aren't fond of.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
All bands that make money off making music are sellouts. Since making music is their livelihood, not being a sellout would mean they'd be poor and have to get regular jobs and not be professional musicians. Before you criticize bands like Nickelback (albeit, Nickelback sucks more than Paris Hilton in a hotel room) remember that's how they can afford to ****in' eat.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I honestly don't care what bands release, if I like them I'll listen, if I don't I wont buy the CD.

I admire anyone who can make money doing what they love, as long as people like their stuff but don't push it on me I'm fine with it.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Selling out is a necessary requirement to get your music to places outside of your reach. Unless you are wealthy, some form of musical contract must be signed along the way to stardom.

PS: Nickelback sucks tits on a whale!
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
(albeit, Nickelback sucks more than Paris Hilton in a hotel room)

bam.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
well, i agree bands do 'sell out' but theyre the ones who end up being rich mother****ers so im willing to be a conformist and NOT diss them.

but back on topic, im gonna say pretty much any band who actually wishes to make a living off of their own music qualifies to be a 'sellout'
Since when did successful = sellout? Dude, just leave them alone. Live and let live.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by ufossuck
All bands that make money off making music are sellouts. Since making music is their livelihood, not being a sellout would mean they'd be poor and have to get regular jobs and not be professional musicians. Before you criticize bands like Nickelback (albeit, Nickelback sucks more than Paris Hilton in a hotel room) remember that's how they can afford to ****in' eat.

Dude its foamy the squirrel! Haven't seen him in years!
Koo avatar.
yeah saying bands sellout was soo 2 years ago...
Quote by IbanezSA160
I farted in class once, but that's about as close i've got to a sexual experience in school.

Quote by duncanxdonuts
B2daR2daA2daD you win at life

DEAR GAWD!!!
i dont mean to sound like an ***hole but just because bands want to change or do there own thing doesnt mean there sell outs, doing the same thing everyday for 20 years can get pretty dang boring and i find myself changing alot, i play anything from johnny cash to between the buried and me and being stuck in just one genre would bore me to death, music is all about exploration and a band shouldnt be labeled a sell out because they choose to explore music as it should be.
Quote by mercedesisbenz
whooooo caaaarrrreeeesssss

honestly what does this list accomplish except to serve as a reminder of the success of an artist you aren't fond of.

No this serves as a notice of how things can change with a band. They can come out as completely devoted to a view and then sellout to make more money. And why attempt to blow this off? If you dont want to reply to this then pass it up, dont waste the time of others with useless talk like in the quote above.
to all the people that say metallica:

no, they weren't sellouts. for load and reload, they had a more "rock" sound then metal, which some people like, and maybe that's what they felt like doing, since they're major influences are mostly rock bands, not metal. And as a larger fan of rock, i really enjoyed those albums.

about St. Anger, i didn't enjoy it that much. it was alright, but definitely not great, especially for metallica. But, it was solely for the purpose of saving the band from breaking up as they were about to do, and they were going through some hard times with james goin to rehab and all.... i dont think they were 'sellouts' at all, and i think Death Magnetic will be great
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Green Day

+19389841328718927438087239841738748273840178407848473847191707489017087317340918743091743891274829374912374817483714289378971
Like that other guy said, changing styles DOES NOT equal selling out. That term is used far too often, how the hell do you know if a band has consciously sat down and thought, 'if we play like this we'll get more money'.

People get bored of playing and writing the same music over and over again, how do you know they aren't really feeling that music in their soul? Maybe they are just evolving and growing as a band, and the music changes with that, and then just because they stumble upon wider commercial success they are accused of plotting the whole thing for record sales.

Let me ask you something kid, if a band kept making the same music all the time just to please their fans, wouldn't that be selling out?

So i guess we can turn this little game around and say that any band who has found a bit of success, and then milked their style for all they can without taking the risk of changing anything is the sell-out, rather than bands that change their sound.
Quote by Anom
No this serves as a notice of how things can change with a band. They can come out as completely devoted to a view and then sellout to make more money. And why attempt to blow this off? If you dont want to reply to this then pass it up, dont waste the time of others with useless talk like in the quote above.

Why WOULDN'T you blow it off? What successful musician do you know of thats worth anything that sits around all day dwelling on how he doesn't like the decisions of another band. If the music is bad, don't listen to it and forget the band.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by rich420
Like that other guy said, changing styles DOES NOT equal selling out. That term is used far too often, how the hell do you know if a band has consciously sat down and thought, 'if we play like this we'll get more money'.

People get bored of playing and writing the same music over and over again, how do you know they aren't really feeling that music in their soul? Maybe they are just evolving and growing as a band, and the music changes with that, and then just because they stumble upon wider commercial success they are accused of plotting the whole thing for record sales.

Let me ask you something kid, if a band kept making the same music all the time just to please their fans, wouldn't that be selling out?

So i guess we can turn this little game around and say that any band who has found a bit of success, and then milked their style for all they can without taking the risk of changing anything is the sell-out, rather than bands that change their sound.

Totally agree.

How many people can honestly say that their taste in music hasn't changed over 5, 10 or 20 years?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Bentheemo
Everybody that isn't dead, and some were when they were alive...

Wow, you're a ****ing idiot. Unless you're joking, then I'm the idiot.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Sellouts - Sorry for repeating
Metallica
Green Day
Deftones (Don't like them so much anyway)
Korn (with only 3 original members left)
Music to ease the soul.
I can honestly say I ****ing hate the term "selling out", mainly because it's used if

1.-a band has comercial success
2.-a band starts playing different music

seriusly, what the hell is so wrong about a band being succesfull? and how can you expect a band not to change it's music? If people change, the music they write will obviously not be the same as before. I see no point in resenting a band for growing up

/rant

Quote by rich420

well..this is actually what i was thinking while I wrote the original comment...so I'll just say +1
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Last edited by tincho729 at Jul 29, 2008,
Well going by how many times they've changed thier style Radiohead must be sellouts, or is your idea of selling out moronic and infantile? i think it is, If a band is sucessful they must be doing something right, if they change style then maybe it's because they're bored, they don't have to keep playing the same songs you like. They owe you nothing.
Quote by CiReMaN
Sellouts - Sorry for repeating
Metallica
Green Day
Deftones (Don't like them so much anyway)
Korn (with only 3 original members left)

How are Deftones sellouts?
^^ he is, but it doesn't mean he doesn't rock...and kiss are not sellouts.
fall out boy.
lol @ people saying some of these bands are sellouts.

Nickelback aren't sellouts because they've never changed. Always been pricks making ****ty music for money.

Fall Out Boy never lost their ethics either. They still play the same pop rock that sells records.

To sell out you actually need to change your views for the purpose of making money. The only bands I can call "sellout" are Chumbawumba and Against Me.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Last edited by JustMimes at Jul 31, 2008,
I'd say that bands that DONT change their style and put out the same sounding album time and time again for cash are MUCH MUCH more of sellouts than those who experiment.

BTW I dunno how many times I have to say this to anti-metallica people who claim they're sellouts BUT: their first 5 albums are also their top selling ones. To say they sold out for the fame and money isn't correct: because their album sales dropped!!!!!! Look it up if you don't believe me. How dare a band actually be true musicians and try something new, and try to broaden their horizons by trying other styles! I like narrow minded bands that don't even respect their fans enough to try new things to keep it fresh and interesting!
Quote by Maggot3000

As far as I can tell, those "bands" never sold out, they always cared more about money and fame than making good music.

And although it doesn't seem like many of you would know them (based on what bands y'all have listed) the Dead Kennedys (-Jello) were pretty big sellouts.
Page 1 of 2