Hey UG, I've been having an issue getting a good sound out of my two single coil pickups on my Fender HSS Highway One strat. I'm not talking about any cleans or anything, they sound great when the distortion it turned down. Well, any distortion I do I automatically switch to my humbucker since it has the best clarity/sustain/etc. When I use the same settings on my single coil pickups (neck and mid) they sound muddy, unclear, use less distortion, and have less sustain. I'm wondering how guitar players like David Gilmour and John Frusciante can get so much out of them.

So my question is, what do you guys do when it comes to distortion and a single coil pickup? I use a Roland Cube 30X by the way, and that may be the problem since it's not a "tube" or something.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Last edited by TheReFiller at Jul 28, 2008,
So, eh, anybody?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Well if you're talking about David Gilmour then you need to realize he used tons of effects and didn't just use his Strats. A few of his more well known solos are recorded with LPs and 339s I think, either way, with humbuckers. Even in his Strat there was a long stretch where he was using EMG pups and the speculation was because of his effects chain and resulting signal loss. I'm no expert on any of this but that's the gist of it so to speak.

Now if you're expecting to just flip the selector on your guitar and have it sounds good with the single coils when your amp has been tweaked for the humbucker then I think you might be disappointed. It doesn't quite work that way. Also, as someone who owns a HWY1, they're not really the best pups out there IMO. I find them somewhat one-dimensional.
I would have to say the Roland is an alright amp, but it's no tube amp.

Don't HWY 1's have the Greasebucket tone circuit that makes it more, err, trebly or something? Is that what they do?