For about the past 6 months i have not been able to write the song. no matter what way i try to write a song nothing comes up. i am soon realizing that i cant write if my life depended on it and the riffs ive written within in my first year of playing guitar are better than the riffs i ve written within my third year of playing guitar
can anyone help me get out of this hole?
Learn music theory, listen and play outside of your normal genre, experiment with crazy stuff, etc. A lot of things can help get you out of a rut.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
dude we all go through periods of suckiness and uncreativity, and its going to keep happening until you expand your horizons. What i mean by that is try learning some things that may not exactly fit your style. Many times you can incorporate many things you learn into your own songs. So if you can't write at the moment, try to learn some new stuff, and really challenge yourself to become a better player. Once you attain some new skills you will be pleasantly suprised.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Learn music theory, listen and play outside of your normal genre, experiment with crazy stuff, etc. A lot of things can help get you out of a rut.

thats what i try to do
i listen to a lot heavier stuff now
ill try to right some expirmental **** but nothing flows
Quote by ubtguitarist
dude we all go through periods of suckiness and uncreativity, and its going to keep happening until you expand your horizons. What i mean by that is try learning some things that may not exactly fit your style. Many times you can incorporate many things you learn into your own songs. So if you can't write at the moment, try to learn some new stuff, and really challenge yourself to become a better player. Once you attain some new skills you will be pleasantly suprised.

yea i dont learn anything new because i dont know what songs to look up
the ones i do i get tired of playing
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Even buying a new pedal can change the way you write.. Go buy like a delay pedal and set it to some funky delay time or a flanger..it is always fun to experiment with new gear and 90% of the time will produce fresh ideas.
Quote by trivium166
thats what i try to do
i listen to a lot heavier stuff now
ill try to right some expirmental **** but nothing flows

Yeah try to listen to some progressive stuff, maybe like Opeth or Porcupine Tree, and just try new stuff. I know it's generic advice but it helps.

Edit: I'd also like to add Dream Theater to that list. The past few times I've hit a boring period I just listened to or learned a Dream Theater song and that helped me recover.

I P R O G

Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Dude, this is the wrong place to post this.

*Reported*

Damn I see *Reported* all over the place these days. Loosen up.

I P R O G

Quote by MetalGS3SE
Yeah try to listen to some progressive stuff, maybe like Opeth or Porcupine Tree, and just try new stuff. I know it's generic advice but it helps.

Edit: I'd also like to add Dream Theater to that list. The past few times I've hit a boring period I just listened to or learned a Dream Theater song and that helped me recover.

the dream theaters helping a bit
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Damn I see *Reported* all over the place these days. Loosen up.

No. You should tighten up and read the rules.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by trivium166
the dream theaters helping a bit

Glad to hear it. You can also try listening to some of Petrucci's solo work (Glasgow Kiss is amazing) or his other band Liquid Tension Experiment.

I P R O G