I'm selling my Spider III to my friend for about $75, my parents are also giving me $100 to spend on an amp and I also have money (obviously). I want to get an amp that can do blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock, thrash metal (think early Metallica).

The total budget is $300. I want something preferably new.
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Used will be your best value, especially in that range. Do you have a particular sound that you play more than the others? With that budget, you're either going to have to sacrifice versatility or overall quality.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Used, and Peavey Classic 30.

I no longer own my 50, but I still recommend it for those on a budget and need something which can handle anything less than death metal.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Used will be your best value, especially in that range. Do you have a particular sound that you play more than the others? With that budget, you're either going to have to sacrifice versatility or overall quality.

I play metal and rock mainly but I also want some decent cleans
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
With a Tubescreamer, a peavey classic should be able to get some early metallica tones.
But, it handles everything else wonderfully.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Yeah, it's just not a metal voiced amp, at all. If the TS can deal with a more vintage sounding gain, then I'm sure he'll be fine.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
If you can't find a Classic 30 in that range try a Valveking 112. It sounds pretty good with a tubescreamer or bad monkey OD. There are some UG'r clips if you have not heard them yet.

What can you find on craigslist.com?
There's nothing good on craigslist in my area. The Classic 30 and Valveking are kinda outta my price range (though I want one so bad). I don't really want a big amp just something to use at home.

Someone on another forum suggested I use the $100 my parents are giving me to get a new amp and not use any of my money. He suggested this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Raven-RG20-20W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481618

Is it any good?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Not so much.

I would pump as much of your money as you can into this project of yours so you can thank yourself later and not regret it and end up buying something different anyway.

You can look for Crates, Roland Cubes, Valvetronix, Blackhearts, Epi Valves. For Metal you will probably need something more like the first 3 I mentioned. Did you get any responses when searching for Amps on craigslist? Just wanted to make sure you are searching right no offense.
Someone just posted an RG75G2 for $200 on craigslist but it's a lil too loud. Are there any smaller amps that are good?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Be patient, it took me a month and a half to find the amp I wanted off of Craigslist. VK-112's for $300 often. Classic 30's for $325-$375. B-52 AT 112 for $400 ish.
Quote by gregs1020
Be patient, it took me a month and a half to find the amp I wanted off of Craigslist. VK-112's for $300 often. Classic 30's for $325-$375. B-52 AT 112 for $400 ish.

Yeah, but those amps are way too loud. I want something a little smaller but still good
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
You could always pull a pair of power tubes from the classic 30, or just wait for the BH handsome devil to come out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Get a tube amp. It's cool to recommend tube amps to everyone and their mother. Owning a tube amp makes you God.
These go to eleven...
Any more help?

Hmmm, I could let my parents pay for that Raven and I get some sort of pedal to get it into metal territory. It would save me some money as well. Good idea or just use all of my money?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Last edited by Don Tonberry at Jul 29, 2008,
OK, so I've narrowed it down to the Roland Cube 30x, Valvetronix AD30VT, or the Peavey Vypyr 30W.

I've tried the Valvetronix and I love the cleans and lower gain models but didn't mess around with the hi gain stuff so much. I wanted to try the Roland Cube but I couldn't find one at any of the music stores around me. As for the Vypyr, I'll wait until people review it and it hits my stores so I can try it out.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with these amps so I can make a good decision?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals