I've been having trouble with bends for a while and was wondering a efficient way to practice them or correct my current problems. When I go to bend a string (w/ ring,middle, and index finger) I tend to get other strings caught on my fingers which gives of a terrible ring sound. Any help appreciated thanks
practice keeping those other fingers off the strings. go slow and then do fast bends. oh and make sure your fingernails are always short because sometimes they can get caught on strings and accidently pluck them.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
practice keeping those other fingers off the strings. go slow and then do fast bends. oh and make sure your fingernails are always short because sometimes they can get caught on strings and accidently pluck them.

for sure this is so true i know by experience
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMGs
when you bend, try and angle your fingernails down to the fretboard so the ends dont touch other strings
For the sound, you can mute it with other fingers(usually fretting index), or with your picking thumb or palm.

A song I found helpful for bends was Final Countdown by Norther. It involves a few half and a few full bends. Or Black Magic Woman by Santana.

Start up with the half ones, and when you can get the timing and all perfect(if it's not perfect, it sounds like crap), like really it has to be the exact same. When you feel more confortable, move on to full.

A good trick is to pluck the next fret so you get the sound, remember it, and reproduce it on the original fret. When you get it perfect, remember it and try playing them slowly along the songs. At first they can be a pain, but once you get the hang it's not so hard.

You might want to try doing bends with your second and third finger. This way your index is free to mute the strings next to it. Good luck with that
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6

A good trick is to pluck the next fret so you get the sound, remember it, and reproduce it on the original fret. When you get it perfect, remember it and try playing them slowly along the songs. At first they can be a pain, but once you get the hang it's not so hard.

You might want to try doing bends with your second and third finger. This way your index is free to mute the strings next to it. Good luck with that

A much better trick is to turn on your tuner(if you have one) play the note you are bending then bend it so it goes up a half-step/semi-tone(for a half bend) or a full-step/tone(for a full bend)
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
A much better trick is to turn on your tuner(if you have one) play the note you are bending then bend it so it goes up a half-step/semi-tone(for a half bend) or a full-step/tone(for a full bend)

So he develops no musical ear whatsoever? If he ends up having to use his tuner at every single bend he tries, it will be trouble. It's a much better bet to train his ear. Not that what you said is wrong tho. Just it will be much better for him to use his ear.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
So he develops no musical ear whatsoever? If he ends up having to use his tuner at every single bend he tries, it will be trouble. It's a much better bet to train his ear. Not that what you said is wrong tho. Just it will be much better for him to use his ear.

It helps you notice how much of a bend is needed to reach that point. After a while you can tell the amount of bend you would need thus helping you reach that point much faster. The ear will then follow, plus you can still hear the guitar even with a tuner on. It is not as loud but you can still hear it.