I was thinking about getting a 5 string bass, but instead of having a low B, I would put a high C. Would there be any problems with the bass if I do that? Am I not supposed to? Any advice about the idea?
Also, what strings would you suggest?
------------
OhMyGosh123
might need to change nut lol
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
i tried that once
make sure you get strings that come with a high c, instead of tuning up (does not end well)
and you may need to ajust the truss rod, for less tension
your best bet is either get 6 string bass pack, and remove the lowest string
or get 4 string pack, and buy the higher gauge sepperate (idk if the have 5 string packs, with a high c)
OH also would you suggest a good bass for this? The main reason I am doing this is cuz I'm in a band with two bassists (please, no suggestions for taking the other guy out) and it would help to be the high end, doing melodies and solos, while he is the low end. Is there a good bass for what I'm doing?

Just for clarification, I would be getting the 6 string pack and taking out the B, so I was wondering if there was any "pack" in particular.

Also, don't base your comments off of the "sum 41" icon. I am definetly not going for that sort of thing.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Go for DR's...they own for bass
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by OhMyGosh123
dr's? Is that a string or a bass?

Strings(plural)

yes they are handmade strings and really nice ones at that. Rated number 1 in Bass Player Magazine.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by OhMyGosh123
OH also would you suggest a good bass for this? The main reason I am doing this is cuz I'm in a band with two bassists (please, no suggestions for taking the other guy out) and it would help to be the high end, doing melodies and solos, while he is the low end. Is there a good bass for what I'm doing?
I don't normally say this, but look into playing guitar.

Outside of that... You can make most basses sound the way you want it to. Maybe get a Fender Jazz 24 V and switch the nut and string it with a high C? That or an Ibanez/Warwick. Imo, I'd probably go with the Warwick, but those three companies are prob. your "big three" options.

DR's are a type of string.

Also, don't triple post. You could have easily fit that all into one post. There's an edit button next to the posts you've made, that allows you to edit if you've accidently posted and need to change a post.

Sorry if I sound like a butt.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge

Also, don't triple post. You could have easily fit that all into one post. There's an edit button next to the posts you've made, that allows you to edit if you've accidently posted and need to change a post.

TS, I edited your postings into one post. You're welcome btw. ATB is right, please use the edit button. Its as easy as posting another post.

String choice is really going to be a personal matter. I personally don't like DRs but love Rotosounds, and I've used EBs and D'addarios as well. And sometime this month, I'll try a set of Elites .

As far as brands, check the threads on 5 string basses that have been posted in the past. Personally I like the Spector, the already mentioned Jazz V 24 and if you don't mind the string spacing the Ibanez SR505 - SR905 series.
tell me how it worked out please

I wanna have a high c too,
but are too comfortable with a 5-string to get a 6-string
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by AboveTheBridge
I don't normally say this, but look into playing guitar.

Outside of that... You can make most basses sound the way you want it to. Maybe get a Fender Jazz 24 V and switch the nut and string it with a high C? That or an Ibanez/Warwick. Imo, I'd probably go with the Warwick, but those three companies are prob. your "big three" options.

DR's are a type of string.

Thanks for your help!
Would you suggest a Corvette Standard or Double Buck? Those two seem like would suit what I am looking for.

Also, are "DR Hi-Beams Medium 6 string" (30, 45, 65, 85, 105, 130) good? Remember, I want bright, but not saturated highs. I want to be able to have bright/mid-y tones, but not like a guitar either.
------------
OhMyGosh123
Last edited by OhMyGosh123 at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You can do it to any five string bass. I'd just recommend that it has a 34" scale as opposed to 35".

I am sorry, what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the nut?
Also people keep saying I need to switch the nut but I am not sure what to switch TO.
------------
OhMyGosh123
1)I prefer Warwicks with single coils (i.e. the standard) over the double buck, as I feel the tone of humbuckers distracts from the 'Warwick tone'. Not to say they don't still sound great. I just feel the standard sounds far nicer.

2)The scale length is the distance between the bridge and the nut. Longe3r scale lengths are often used on 5 strings to help give extra tension inthe low B string, which is not what you want when trying to tune up to have a high C.

3)You need to get a new nut fitted as the old one will have grooves sized for low B tuning, so all the slots will be too big, and the strings are likely to rattle around in them.

4)Personally, I am not a fan of DRs. If you want bright strings, get steels. I personally like WArwick EMP strings, as they hold their brightness fora very long time. Rotosound swing 66 are also very good, and even brighter than Warwicks, but lose their brightness a little quicker.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by OhMyGosh123
I am sorry, what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the nut?
Also people keep saying I need to switch the nut but I am not sure what to switch TO.

neck length: 35 inch is sometimes used to make the b-string really tight!

But when you use a c-string it will be too tight!

On internet it is on the description how large it is, and in the store you can always ask! + they can change the nut for you! So you shouldn't worry about that!
Just say your plan! and if they know what they are doing (here they know that ) you should be fine! they will probably even lay the strings on it!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jul 31, 2008,
You should look into piccolo tuning.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
You can get 5 string sets with a high C. As others have said, you'll probably want 34" scale.
Quote by solid_moose
You should look into piccolo tuning.

what is that?
------------
OhMyGosh123
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why? That's completey different to having a high C instead of low B.

Because in his post he talked about having two bassists in a band, and he needed a high range.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Because in his post he talked about having two bassists in a band, and he needed a high range.

Victor Wooten managed it with a high C against a 6 string bass when he plays with Steve Bailey. A high C will do the job and also requires less work to get into- New bridge, new nut- whilst stringing something to a high C may only require a nut change. And even then not always. Then there's string spacing to take into account. The E string in a piccolo set is gauged at around .052. Comparing that to a standard gauged E string, there's a huge difference. Spread that across all the strings, and you've got a vastly increased string spacing which may be difficult to adapt to. It's easier, and viable, to go with the high C.
break the other bassist fingers... or kill him
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by OhMyGosh123
i agree

You Necropost with something useless to say, way to go!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I don't mean to be off topic, but what kind of music will you be playing with two bassists, and what other instruments are in the band?
Quote by smb
You can get 5 string sets with a high C. As others have said, you'll probably want 34" scale.

Show me!

Also, I realize this is already dead, but just FYI, a nut change is mostly unnecessary. it works fine with the standard nuts. Also, 35" or 34" also won't make a difference, at least not where the high C is concerned. It's not as if 35" scales won't support a high C it'll just have more tension across the board.

I've done a similar project to this and let me tell you; the high C is a god send when you have a second low end instrument to contend with. An absolute god send.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
I don't mean to be off topic, but what kind of music will you be playing with two bassists, and what other instruments are in the band?

I'm not in a band with another bassist but I've had the chance to jam with one and we played jazz, rock, funk, and pretty much anything else.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by slaptasticdave
You Necropost with something useless to say, way to go!

You're welcome
------------
OhMyGosh123
Don't they already make five strings that come set up with a high c? I thought they were called tenor basses or something to that effect. I could be unknowingly high...
^I can't think of any five strings that come with a high string. Tenor basses are generally set up after the fact with a higher set of strings. But I'm not sure a fiver with a high C could be considered "tenor", I've only heard that applied to fours with ADGC. I guess it doesn't really matter what you call it.
I thought I read that in one of the many bass books I got when I first started...