I have been playing for almost a year and I still screw up a lot on songs that I learned even when I first started playing. I see my friends play and they don't really even miss a note or lose rhythm once!! Is that something that comes with time or is it something that I can get some suggestions on... It almost feels like it might be the fact that I feel like I will screw up so I keep doing it... the music I enjoy listening to is very fast metal and my fingers have not caught up with that yet so songs i'd like to learn are hard for them to be inspirational. Any tips or ideas for me?

Thanks UG
practice more, and learn jazz
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
comes with time, dont worry
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Most of the reply are correct but it's not the main reason why you're messing up. I'm almost certain you mess up a lot because when you learn a song , you rush to learn it. You try to play it at full speed way to early. Slow it down, and learn it very slow.

Think of it like playing a song until you can't get it wrong, rather then until you get it right.
im surprised some smart ass didnt say "yeah, dont screw up" yet...
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
practice practice PRACTICE
remember, amateurs practice til they get it right, pros practice til they can't get it wrong
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
yeah dont screw up

edit: lol. if you cant get it down right away go learn something else. when you go back to the song a couple weeks later you'll find out that its easier to play. take things slow and make sure you practice everyday. also going back and relearning a song by looking back at the tabs/notes will get it fresh in your head again. i still go back and look over stuff that i play all the time just to etch it into my brain even more.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Last edited by NSHSpolevault at Jul 29, 2008,
Practise a song at a slower speed until you can play it through once (or a bunch of times, no flukes!) with no mistakes or slipups. If you keep making mistakes go slower. When you perfect it at one speed, bring it up and continue to do so til you've reached the original tempo.
Also, look at the particular points where you screw up and, whilst playing, check your technique as you get to those points to see if there's anything specific you're messing up on. For example, if you always mess up when you get to barre chords then structure your practicing to spend some time focusing on barre chords until you can play them better. Sometimes it's the techniques that you need to improve and not just the playing of the song itself.
Try to keep in mind that one of the biggest factors in nailing a song is confidence...unwaivering, drug-induced confidence.
Your Signature: