Okay so I've been painting my guitar for the last week. I have had this problem with the paint being very soft early this week so I wet sanded it back down the the initial color coat and removed the clear enamel. The paint was hard under the clear and I just sighed and said maybe four hours of drying time wasn't enough to handle . Now I'm done, besides buffing and wet sanding, but I need to go to college soon and would rather wait. I have the same problem with the clear coat being very pliable and soft. I have had my guitar hanging inside at about 60 degrees with very little humidity with a fan blowing the paint. How long will the paint still be soft and impressionable? Will it ever harden? I don't want to be playing it and then put it back and have a textured pattern of my jeans or shorts on it or an impression of my arm in the side .
p.s. I used the search bar and many different searches and couldn't find an answer to my question.
as close as you can get to Baileys without getting your eyes wet
i persnally after the final clear, waited a day, wet sand and buffed, then waited two more to assemble and play, but thats me so i could be wrong, i had no problems though
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Enamel can take months to fully cure. You should wait a few weeks after painting to do the final sand and buff.

Once that is done, then you simply need to be gentle with it.

EDIT: If it is really so soft that you are leaving cloth textures on it and stuff, then I don't know what to say. Are your clear coat and colour coat compatible?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i really dont know i just bought some generic paint for the black and i got rustoleum crystal clear enamel. they seem to be okay or atleast not incompatible. It's kinda tacky still but I think it's been quite a while for it to still be tacky. (like..27hours)
Tacky? That is really strange. Sounds like a problem for Ippon.

(Maybe he is like Towelie, where when you mention him he shows up?)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Tacky? That is really strange. Sounds like a problem for Ippon.

(Maybe he is like Towelie, where when you mention him he shows up?)

Yep!

Quote by Lampen69
i really dont know i just bought some generic paint for the black and i got rustoleum crystal clear enamel. they seem to be okay or atleast not incompatible. It's kinda tacky still but I think it's been quite a while for it to still be tacky. (like..27hours)

I'd re-do the whole thing and start from scratch. Enamel is a b!tch to do well because as you discovered, it takes a long time to cure enough to wetsand and do your other layers.

Go with Acrylic Lacquer: Duplicolor or Krylon (old, not the new Enamel) or any bigbox DIY house brand.

Make sure to use Acrylic lacquer for the Sanding Sealer/Primer, Colorcoat, and Clearcoat.

ugh, thanks. this sucks alot. before I started this I had already painted with lacquers on the same guitar so that'll be breezy. I'll probably just use it as it for now and when I return from college in thanksgiving I'll re-do it. There's a week and 30bucks gone. It does look very nice as is...except if you touch it...
You are going to school in the summer? I have never heard of that lol, but I'm a n00b at life...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
well i leave aug 20 and i have better things to do than paint a guitar I'll be able to use for a the better part of two weeks probably
ok. It doesn't really take that long, and if you paint it right now it will have cured and hardened by the time you get back.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo