Bought my first fender strat the other week (always been and SG guy). It's a 60's reissue, real real sweet. I wanna draw-paint, whatever some flowing paisley on the pickgaurd. How do i take it off, i've heard the pick ups pop out and stuff. I'm clueless on fender set ups.
take off the strings, unscrew the 11 screws around the pickguard, take it off. Unscrew the pickups, set them back in the guitar to just sit there till you put it back together. Then you'll have to clip the grounding wire, a long thin black wire that runs through the guitar to the trem claw. Then take off the knobs and switch tip, unbolt the pots (the sticks under the knobs) and unscrew the switch.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You'll also need to clip / unsolder the wires to the output jack
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
You shouldn't have to cut any wires if your just taking the pickguard out. Just unscrew everything and pop the knobs off the pots. Just be sure to remember where each screw goes and don' loose them.
Quote by vizun
You'll also need to clip / unsolder the wires to the output jack

why would you clip anything if you're just taking off the pickguard ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Oh wait yeah. My bad. You are right, don't need to do that part.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You can probably get away without taking off the strings too - I done it without in the past.
Quote by mark_wuk
You can probably get away without taking off the strings too - I done it without in the past.

Proper fiddly though, but yes, no need to unsolder/clip anything, just screws to be taken out, and make sure you mark the pickups and pots so u dont forget what goes where
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical