hello all!

ive been looking at guitars and amps for a complete overhaul

im nearly positive im going to get the fender classic series 70's stratocaster

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--70s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-510471-i1146385.gc

i was going to get a fender frontman amp but i heard they sucked so ive been thinking about a peavey classic 30

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Classic-30-112-Tube-Combo-Amp-104003132-i1171332.gc

im in a band so i need something for practice and small-medium gigs
mostly alternative rock/soft rock stuff but id like something that could get heavier if ever wanted

any advice would be greatly appreciated
I like the '70s Strat, its a good choice, but a Fat Strat with a coil tap put in (perhaps) would be a good choice. A '70s will only get up to an Albert Hammond Jr. with the Strokes level, which isnt tooo heavy really. And a Classic 30 will do some nice cleans and good light OD, but wont get up to metalcore/metal levels.
those are some pretty good choices, the peavey classic thirty absolutely kills the frontman.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
A albert hammond sound is kindof what i was aiming for
and im not really into metal so that shouldnt really be a problem

a fat strat was another guitar i was considering actually..

any recommendations on pedals?
i want to find some reverb, delay, and overdrive ones, but dont want to pay 200 dollars apiece
Sounds like you've made some excellent choices so far.

Don't ruin it by cheaping out on pedals. Your classic 30 will have it's own reverb, and you shouldn't need an OD pedal right away, as your amp should have plenty of gain. In any situation, save up for good pedals.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
haha thanks mr vaughn

what pedals do you think i should buy later on?
^

Depends on what you're going for, I suppose. A nice tubescreamer-type of pedal would be a good OD selection. Everyone can use a good wah. I love my RMC Picture wah for the vintage stuff, but they have an excellent selection (which are all around $200). There are good selections for cheaper, though. If you want to get a reverb pedal to replace your Classic 30's reverb, the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail seemed good the small amount of time I spent with it. I'm not to up on Delay pedals, quite honestly. If there are any other effects you're interested in, I'm glad to give my opinion, and I'm sure lots of other people are willing to help, too.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i really dont know much about pedals
i looked for that RMC wah on guitarcenter.com but couldnt find it, could you find a link for me?

pedals i am going to look at:
CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail
TS9 Tube Screamer

as for wah's, im completely clueless
^Here's the link to RMC wahs. They're boutique pedals, hence the price: http://realmccoycustom.com/

Chorus? I used to have a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus that I liked a lot. I really hate that it's gone.

I also used to own a Blues Driver. It's not the best pedal, stock at least. There are better overdrives for tube amps. My biggest beef with it is the poor bypass which sucks some tone. That's the story with most boss pedals, though. The TS9 tubescreamer would be better, and if you like that, check out the Maxon OD9. Maxon were the original makers of the tubescreamer, and their OD9 is true bypass. Either is a step above a BD-2, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
alright, ill have to check the maxon and voodoo lab out
thanks man

No problem.

Voodoo Labs make a lot of really cool pedals. Their OD pedal is a tubescreamer clone with a "clean" feature that blends your amp's orginal tone in with the OD tone, to your liking, or you can just turn that all the way down for a standard OD pedal sound. That's probably my favorite feature about that pedal.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^Sparkle Drive. I would've posted that originally, but I couldn't remember the name until now.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86

Try as much as possible.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
i was so worried about feeling noobish when i made this thread XD
thanks 311!