Page 1 of 2
im just wondering i havent found anyhting about how he developed his technique, theres no way he did it by practicing kiss songs all day, he has amazing technique and he plays flawlessly live, how did he get that ability?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Perhaps you mean 'played' flawlessly live? He's not around anymore, you know.

I really don't think there's any explanation other than that he just practiced his ass off.
he used the searchbar
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
yea i know hes dead, and searchbar came up with a thread saying how its good that hes dead because now theres krank and razorbacks. i just wish there was something talking about what exercises he would practice to get his alt picking and legato technique so well, im sure he used a metronome.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
well even he admitted he played alot, so surely he practiced alot. the basics of guitar playing can be picked up by learning lots of kiss covers (not a big kiss fan personally but they do write solid riffs and some good leads) he was also the biggest van halen fan so between those 2 you have quite a bit of talent to learn from. also his dad worked in a recording studio down here (i live in tx about 20 minutes from where he used to live, im a big dimebag fan) since his dad worked in a studio darrell had the opportunity to pick stuff up from MANY different musicians.
Quote by burn the stars
heres a secret, all due respect to the man, he wasnt that good

heres a secret, you have no idea what you're talking about.
i just want to know if anyone knows an interview of him talking about WHAT he would practice kind of the way steve vai does.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by GoDrex
wrong

Quote by z4twenny
heres a secret, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Isn't that a matter of opinion?

I personally can't stand his music, and it's hard for me to appreciate technical ability when I can't enjoy the style. No offense intended towards any fans.

TS, if you're looking for exercises to improve your technical ability, I would suggest looking at Stevie Ray Vaughn's practice schedules.
^ fair enough, you don't like his music, thats your right. but don't say the man wasn't "that good" when he obviously was..... next you're going to tell me satch, vai, petrucci, vic wooten, cliff burton, none of these guys are/were "that good"
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i just want to know if anyone knows an interview of him talking about WHAT he would practice kind of the way steve vai does.

Can you sent me the link to the Steve vai routine video?
^That lughting thing in your sig in AWESOME. I wish I was that creative.

Dime practiced scales and exercises and that boring stuff. Guess what else he did...he knew his theory!
Quote by Donswald
Isn't that a matter of opinion?

I personally can't stand his music, and it's hard for me to appreciate technical ability when I can't enjoy the style. No offense intended towards any fans.

TS, if you're looking for exercises to improve your technical ability, I would suggest looking at Stevie Ray Vaughn's practice schedules.

Where do I find this?

bangoodcharlote, thanks
In all honesty, he died.

People only really cared after he was dead.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
In all honesty, he died.

Let's see, you joined the UG in August 2007. Let's assume you browsed the website for a year before joining. That means saw your first "Dime if God" in 2006. Mr. Darrell Lance Abbott was slain in 2004, so how do you have any idea what the UG thought of him before his murder?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Let's see, you joined the UG in August 2007. Let's assume you browsed the website for a year before joining. That means saw your first "Dime if God" in 2006. Mr. Darrell Lance Abbott was slain in 2004, so how do you have any idea what the UG thought of him before his murder?

Actually, I never lurked before I joined.

I was just stating my opinion based off of what I've seen and heard.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, I wont argue with you.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by herman ri2
Can you sent me the link to the Steve vai routine video?

idk, i just use the 10 hour workout he posted in the october issue of guitar world,

Did dime know much about theory? because my friend keeps saying that you dont have to know theory to practice scales or practice that much or do theory to be a good shredder and he keeps using dime as an example but i think dime must have done some sort of scale practice to get that good.

also i dont really care what you think of dime or his legacy or any of that ****, i hated his tone and the products released after his death were crap, but he was a great player and theres no denying that.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by valennic
In all honesty, he died.

People are more appreciated when they are dead because they can only live in the memories of their fans. You are not all fans so, don't generalized jackass. So, what you are saying is that SRV, Hendrix,and Cobaine fans didn't care when they were alive? If you are, you're an idiot.

"In all honesty, he died."

what?

Yeah, good to see that you are honest about him dying.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You're completely wrong.

Ok then, I obviously need to do a bit more research, I wasnt stating that he wasnt a good guitarist, I loved his work, I was just saying that a lot of his fame came after he died, just like many legends, that's all I meant

Sorry for any misunderstandings.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

He was surrounded by music all the time. He practiced alot....... his father owned a studio which also influened him to different techniques and styles of music. He was talented indeed and if someone says he aint good god damn think again
He sat around and played music all day.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Donswald

No one's asking you to appreciate technical ability, rather to simply recognize it. Regardless of your feelings towards his music, surely you would say that the man was a great technical player?
Quote by valennic
In all honesty, he died.

what an @$$
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^That lughting thing in your sig in AWESOME. I wish I was that creative.

Dime practiced scales and exercises and that boring stuff. Guess what else he did...he knew his theory!

Yup.

He knew more theory than people think, he was more into playing by ear though.

Also, are you sure you searched very hard? There is a great video on Youtube that is about an hour long in 6 parts where he talks about playing, practicing, band stuff, and jams a couple times. Also, all of his Guitar World columns usually contained excercises and licks that he used a lot, and can be found in the little compilation book "Riffer Madness" which you can probably get at a local music store.
Speaking of Dimebag, are the chords in Floods add9 chords? My chord theory is pretty noobish...
Quote by GerGuam
Speaking of Dimebag, are the chords in Floods add9 chords? My chord theory is pretty noobish...

If you mean the ones during the solo and at the end, no. They are sus2 chords.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Whoever says dimebag was only famous beacuse he died is completly wrong, ofcourse his fame level had to have gone up a little bit before his death, pantera was an amazing band.. probably my favourite metal band, i love the hint of blues they have in their sound.

Dimebag had STYLE, which takes you farther than technical ability any day of the week. He played the guitar with passion, and most definantly didn't suck. If you think dimebag sucks, chances are you're the one who sucks
Quote by Iron_Dude
If you mean the ones during the solo and at the end, no. They are sus2 chords.

Well that destroys everything I though about chord construction. I read in the UG lesson that 9 was the same as 2 but an octave higher. Or is it because it's missing the 7/3rd?
I don't think he knew any theory. Then again, I'm probably wrong.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
He was a great player because he practised a lot obviously - that and a bit of natural talent.

And to add my two cents to the ongoing argument - Dimebag wasn't nearly as revered and appreciated (on UG and probably in general) until after his death - there was a huge "Rip Dime , my hero" bandwagon. How many 13 yr olds (who were 8 or 9 when he died) go around with their rip Dime bs. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
Quote by valennic
Actually, I never lurked before I joined.

I was just stating my opinion based off of what I've seen and heard.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, I wont argue with you.

So, basically you don't actually have your own opinion on this.

FYI people were raving about Darrell several years before you were even born. I was never a massive Pantera fan myself but yes, he was that good. And he got that good by practicing a lot and studying a lot. It doesn't so much matter what he did, you can't just say "I will practice the exact same things Dime practiced then I will be as good as him", it doesn't work that way.

What is important is HOW you practice...approach the guitar methodically, don't get too far ahead of yourself and make sure you focus on what's important. That means playing music, being innovative and also being accurate.

So, don't obsess over playing straight scale runs or chromatics - instead construct exercises from scales and practice those. Make them practical too, things you can actually use in your playing, anything with some horizontal movement is usually good, as is anything that gets you used all the intervals of the scale as opposed to just how they sound one after the other, so sliding up and down in 3rds, string skipping, legato runs, "braids" etc. Approaching things like this benefits you twofold, not only does it get you practicing things that are actually useful, but it also helps you learn the scales practically because you're working with them.

And above all, be disciplined, don't settle for good enough, make sure you're practicing correctly. If you're playing something wrong or sloppily then you're trying to play it too fast and you need to slow down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2