Alright, learned this song a few days ago and thought I played it decently enough to try and record it...well I sorta did on the computer, and then I got thinking: I need UG to rate my playing, like literally playing (pick holding, fingering, etc)

I want you to rate the cover, as well as tell me what you believe is wrong with my "guitar playing form" and what I can improve upon.
I already know I am going to get **** for anchoring, but in my defense...I only anchor when I am palm muting, otherwise the hand is VERY CLOSE but not touching.

So... I like providing an optional template for those who don't know what to say
-sound compared to song being covered?
-good cover?
-accuracy?
-various things about said "guitar form", if any.

Things I've already noticed:
-anchoring when muting
-messed up on transition to chorus
-sloppy bridge
-some bad chords
-a bit out of tune

But please, I'd like others opinions on this. Thanks in advance

HERE IT IS
Other than what you have already mentioned, the song was pretty good. How are the Valveking 112? I was thinking about getting one to use at college, since I need something small, but loud enough to gig with.

Also, crit my cover? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920798

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Other than what you have already mentioned, the song was pretty good. How are the Valveking 112? I was thinking about getting one to use at college, since I need something small, but loud enough to gig with.

Also, crit my cover? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920798

Thanks for the crit!

Yes, the VK112's are pretty good... after you replace the speaker, which many people who "hate" this amp series exaggerate the price.
If you buy used, you might get it for less than $350 (I got mine for $287), and with another $80 you can get a speaker from Warehouse Guitar Speakers that is just as good as the speaker it is cloning.
Just make sure that if you do go used...it works and the tubes aren't bad, that'll really jack up the price.

Oh, and it's not good for REALLY heavy metal...I'd say heaviest without any upgrades is Iron Maiden or Metallica. With a new speaker, I can get As I Lay Dying's newer tone. With an EQ and OD...it's tons better.

But it's a pretty versatile amp, otherwise.

*check out the demo I have my profile, if you want to hear the Veteran 30 with it... there's also a song in my skills section playing through single coils.
Quote by dudey5691
Thanks for the crit!

Yes, the VK112's are pretty good... after you replace the speaker, which many people who "hate" this amp series exaggerate the price.
If you buy used, you might get it for less than $350 (I got mine for $287), and with another $80 you can get a speaker from Warehouse Guitar Speakers that is just as good as the speaker it is cloning.
Just make sure that if you do go used...it works and the tubes aren't bad, that'll really jack up the price.

Oh, and it's not good for REALLY heavy metal...I'd say heaviest without any upgrades is Iron Maiden or Metallica. With a new speaker, I can get As I Lay Dying's newer tone. With an EQ and OD...it's tons better.

But it's a pretty versatile amp, otherwise.

*check out the demo I have my profile, if you want to hear the Veteran 30 with it... there's also a song in my skills section playing through single coils.

Thanks man, that's probably the best answer I've gotten about the Valveking.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
i think it's good, the mistakes are just that, more practice then you'll play it with your eyes closed but it's a good cover, but like i said just practice you will get it. i was having problem with constant motion from dream theater but as i keep practicing it turn pretty easy for me.
lol put a shirt on.

As you mentioned there are a FEW mistakes, but practice makes perfect. How long have you been playing?

Don't worry about the anchoring, it doesn't make anything sound worse. Slightly out of tune, but overall it's pretty solid. Don't be so hard on yourself!

You have pretty good tone too! I need a new amp

c4c if you want? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924826
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
Quote by mooshoepork
lol put a shirt on.

As you mentioned there are a FEW mistakes, but practice makes perfect. How long have you been playing?

Don't worry about the anchoring, it doesn't make anything sound worse. Slightly out of tune, but overall it's pretty solid. Don't be so hard on yourself!

You have pretty good tone too! I need a new amp

c4c if you want? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924826

Thanks for the crit!

Sorry about that, it was seriously 103*F when I recorded this, and we didn't have our air conditioners on yet

I have been playing four years, but I recorded this song after learning it the day before, if that makes a difference.
I know I need to work on my picking hand... I'm a bit too slow.

I think it's just my strings... they are like 3 months old, and the B and G strings are locked because I strung them wrong.
Otherwise, if I manage to sell my semi-hollow, I'm buying new tuners and pickups... if I don't already have $300 by next week... then new guitar

I have a low self-esteem... it makes me work more efficiently.

Thanks, but this is with a new speaker... so it's not the amp stock. But, yes, if you're not happy with your current amp, save up and buy one that has the tone you're looking for... and don't really just too much off youtube, it's compression turns most everything bad. Close, but not exact... something to do with mono-stereo stuff?