I recently built a Stratocaster and noticed that my 1st string sounds dead (even when played open) compared to my other strings.

Any advice?

All of my other strings ring out great. I play my B string and it rings like a bell, but my e string just sounds dull.

I thought that maybe the string wasn't aligned correctly over the pickup, but realized that my pups have no posts (They're Lace Sensors). I don't know if that makes a difference or not....
How long ago did you string it? After a few weeks (crappy strings) to a few months (good strings), they will wear out and become dull and lifeless. Try replacing it. They may wear out one at a time, which would also explain the just once string.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
chances are its hitting something in the bridge,..stock fender tremolo??..fixxed bridge??
If it was hitting something I doubt it would make any sounds at all. Or, maybe that's what thredstarter means.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Everything is stock Fender Stratocaster. It has a Fender Tremolo bridge, which is "locked" down with 5 springs in the back, so I don't use a tremolo bar.

The strings are about 2 months old. They are Ernie Ball Regulars (the neon green package). I'll probably start with a new set of strings, then I'll have to look to spots of contact.

Just to make me feel better, what are the odds that it would be a pickup or wiring issue? I don't really recall noticing this before, but then again I wasn't exactly focusing on it...

I really noticed it when I was playing a part of a blues scale at the 9th fret, and went from the b string to the e string and noticed that the e string sounded dull compared to the bell like sound from the b string.
With 2 month old strings I would say that they are the issue. If it has been working up until now it is rather unlikely that the electronics would just malfunction all of a sudden, and only on one polepiece.

I have actually never heard of and issue with just one string if it's electronic. See how a string change goes.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
The action could be set up to low and just be touching the other frets possibly.
New strings should help.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
I have a strat with lace sensors and my B string doesn't ring out it just sounds muffled. Turns out the nut was cut to low. Options are buy a new nut or put a small piece of kitchen foil in the slot. Worked fine for me. If you are unsure of the cause it may be this...
I'm thinking that it may be a nut issue. I also get vibrations on the 6th string (low pitch E), which I blame mostly on the nut being cut too low. The vibrations only occur when played open and on the first few frets.