Hey guys,

I was just wondering if the Epiphone Les Paul Standard is more popular (and hence maybe a better guitar?) when compared to a Fender Strat MIM. The reason I say this is the amount of reviews for the Epiphone Les Paul on say, Musician's Friend (~2700) reviews) compared to the Fender Strat MIM (~910) is pretty large, with them both getting a 4.5/5.0 overall. I also noticed that the Fender Strat MIA has ~80 reviews but it's the best selling guitar... I find this somewhat strange.

Fender Strat MIM:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

Fender Strat MIA:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515748

Epiphone Les Paul Standard:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

Maybe it could be that more people like the "heavier" music that the humbuckers are capable of? Right now I'm leaning towards the Fender Strat MIM (to me it's comfortable, fairly priced, has great cleans, fairly good distortion) and debating it between the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (tried it only abit). Now I do know that a guitar preference is very subjective but I was just curious what you guys thought. I might be hitting up a guitar store tomorrow and will definitely be trying both (and more!).
Last edited by xeodragon at Jul 29, 2008,
Which model of the Epi are we talking here.

If you like heavy music, get the Les Paul, if not, still try out both guitars, and all the others in the price range, don't get a guitar just cause it's popular.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
i have an epi les paul and i absolutely adore it!!! however, if your more into blues, id definitely go with the strat
The LP is definately more capable at modern rock/alt rock/stuff with distortion than a Strat is. Altho the Strat is definately better than the LP at stuff like '60s sounds and indie stuff. As far as popularity, Id say the LP is more popular b/c of its distortion-handling capabilities, and the fact that blues/country/jazz arent as popular with ppl who can afford a guitar at that price.
strats are known for having a more bluesy sound and lps are known to be heavier. it does matter on the model and u should try out the guitars instead of just buying them based on reviews from musicians friend because some people do get faulty guitars giving them worse ratings
They are both very different guitars, one designed for harder music and vice-versa, but both of those guitars have a great variety of tone. It is really up to what the musician's genre of choice is.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I own a MIM strat and I gotta say, it's great. But as mentioned before both guitars can achieve quite different sounds. For me it also came down to a comfort thing with the neck and the body.

I'm a fan of Hard Rock/metal, however I'm still a learner and the Start is perfect atm, plays everything I want to (Mostly Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Eric Clapton and a few others..) It's really each to their own with what feels more comfortable for the player.

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

In all honesty, Strat fan myself.

Here's another thing: Do not take those reviews seriously. You should see some of the hilarious/sad things said about certain products. I just use that site to see what's available. If I wanna know if something's half decent or not, I come right to UG.
You can most definitely get a heavy sound from a strat. It's only a pickup swap away.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Updated to include links + which epiphone lp (the standard). I know that those reviews are general "guidelines" but I can't help noticing how much more reviews the epiphone lp standard has! I have no idea why though - maybe there's alot more people that like heavier music? And I thought the Fender Strat would have just as many reviews!

For me, I don't play blues or jazz (I've never tried), but I play "acoustic" songs and sometimes alternative/soft rock so nothing heavy like hard rock or metal. I used to have a Squier Strat so I'm comfortable with the Fender Strat so I'll definitely have to test the Epiphone LP Standard to get out of the Strat habit and see if I like it.
Quote by wolfy808
You can most definitely get a heavy sound from a strat. It's only a pickup swap away.

Exactly & to note I wasn't all that thrilled with my G400 stock pups either so that is the option on both IMO & depending on model to. My MIM pup swap did wonders
Gibson SG Std / Agile 3100 LP / MIJ Ash Strat
Ibanez TSA15>1x12(G12-65)
Orange OR15H>V212(Vet. 30/ET-65)
Quote by HonorableGoat
I own a MIM strat and I gotta say, it's great. But as mentioned before both guitars can achieve quite different sounds. For me it also came down to a comfort thing with the neck and the body.

I'm a fan of Hard Rock/metal, however I'm still a learner and the Start is perfect atm, plays everything I want to (Mostly Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Eric Clapton and a few others..) It's really each to their own with what feels more comfortable for the player.

Yeah I definitely agree that the Strat is a great all-around guitar that's great to learn on. For me, I really dig the SSS config as opposed to the HSS one, due to the looks and the fact that I don't play anything really heavy, but to each their own .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Personally, I like oranges.

you realize these are completely different guitars. Go play an Epi and see what you think. You have a Squier and you like it.

Uhhh...okay?

I said that I know guitar preferences are subjective and that I'd definitely try a bunch of guitars when I'm at the store in my first post.
Last edited by xeodragon at Jul 29, 2008,