I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and i still have the same crappy amp that came in my squier strat package. I want to get a new amp and was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions. It's only going to be for practice, thats it, so nothing TOO loud. I play classic rock and blues stuff, mostly Led Zeppelin. IT MUST HAVE: *great cleans *under $800 *ALL tube *no more than 15W, I WOULD LIKE IF IT HAD: *line out *good crunch(NOT DISTORTION). Thanks.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

“I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to”
That's an interesting situation. Usually people looking for small amps are looking for cheap amps. You could look at something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (used, probably). It's 22 watts with fantastic cleans, but you'd have to play it loud or get an OD pedal to overdrive it, and it's probably not british enough for Zeppelin. Ceriatone makes some smaller Marshall-based amps, but i'm not sure of their quality. Look around and do a lot of research. You may find some boutique-type amps that fit the bill perfectly.

EDIT: Slats has a Laney Lionheart (5 watts, maybe?) that he seems to like. And his sound clips sounded very nice. Those are worth looking into.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
That's an interesting situation. Usually people looking for small amps are looking for cheap amps. You could look at something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (used, probably). It's 22 watts with fantastic cleans, but you'd have to play it loud or get an OD pedal to overdrive it, and it's probably not british enough for Zeppelin. Ceriatone makes some smaller Marshall-based amps, but i'm not sure of their quality. Look around and do a lot of research. You may find some boutique-type amps that fit the bill perfectly.

EDIT: Slats has a Laney Lionheart (5 watts, maybe?) that he seems to like. And his sound clips sounded very nice. Those are worth looking into.

Better than the reissue garbage Marshall is spewing out, nowadays.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
A good first tube amp for practice would be a Blackheart Little Giant. Switchable from 3-5w, good classic rock sound, and is small enough to be a practice amp. Altho it is a little on the cheap side tbh.
what about a Vox AC-15? Laney VC-15??
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

“I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to”
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481861
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718 (more wattage on this one, but it'll be pretty nice)

i'd send more links, but fender makes a LOT of nice amps (i'm not a marshall guy myself), and the price is right. personally, if you're considering joining a band in the near future, i'd get one with a bit more power (40-60 watts ought to do it). otherwise, you'll wind up having to buy a new amp anyway. for what you want, the blues jr or fender champ would do the trick, but i'd strongly suggest going for a hot rod deville or deluxe. you can still practice with the little guy.
even if you're a marshall guy, they don't get into all tube stuff until you put down a few more bucks. and while peavey makes a couple nice ones (i have a classic 50, wish it was a fender), i'm in love with fender.
Quote by sublimezeppelin

after working at guitar center for awhile, i'd never reccomend vox to anyone. their low end or midrange equipment had some massive reliability issues. display models frequently broke, and we got a lot of returns because they'd stop working within a month.
i'm sure the high end stuff isn't so bad, but i just don't trust them.
Quote by sublimezeppelin

It's either the AC-15 or AC-50 that has a bad reputation. I don't remember which.

And I haven't tried the Laney, but it may very well be the right amp for you.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
There is a common misconception about the quality of Vox CC amps. From what I've heard, they are actually more reliable than the TB reissues in the 90s. Many artists who were using those have now gone to using CC. There were a lot of problems in the beginning but during 2006 a new revision came out which (according to a vox tech I read posts by) sorted problems with ghost notes, motorboating, added a speaker jack and so on.

The only issue I have heard of from the newer models is that the AC30 chews through rectifier tubes in weeks (the AC15 has got solid state rectifier). The solution for this is to get a Weber Copper Cap which will last forever if used correctly.

The AC15 is a good amp. The cleans are what you would expect from a vox and it takes pedals decently. It has some problems with some distortion pedals but most of the time it works just fine. A bright cap modification will also help combat those issues.

It will however not give you much gain at lower volumes so either get overdrive pedals, attentuator, a less powerful amp (but even 5w is extremely loud if you want it to overdrive naturally) or a set of earplugs.
^it could be that the things were just blowing rectifier tubes left and right. and don't get me wrong, the amps sounded great...when they worked. and i didn't start gc until late 2006, so anything they sent out would have included these new fixes.
still, i don't see much reason to buy one of those when you could get a better, more reliable amp, and not have to send it out for repairs or mods right away.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/766818161.html Mesa 22 watt all tube. I know, 15 watts max, but that's worth a try. I would say search craigslist daily, you never know what you would find. Look for some of the older Vintage Club Crates too. They sound great but run a little hot. (Dirt cheap, room for effects Page uses). On the pricier side, you see some boutique stuff near that price range and wattage range, but they are rare. I have seen Tophats and Matchless but usually around $1000 and up.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
^it could be that the things were just blowing rectifier tubes left and right. and don't get me wrong, the amps sounded great...when they worked. and i didn't start gc until late 2006, so anything they sent out would have included these new fixes.
still, i don't see much reason to buy one of those when you could get a better, more reliable amp, and not have to send it out for repairs or mods right away.

Yes I think so as well.

If you just get a weber copper cap, they are very reliable. New set of tubes once every year or so and you'll be fine. The copper cap costs just $20 and is a direct replacement for a GZ-34 tube. Not any different from swapping rectifier tubes. So if you're willing to do that, then it'll be reliable forever.

I wouldn't say better amps exist in that range. There are a lof of great amps in that range but if you are looking for the vox sound, there you have the real thing. If we were choosing amps by reliability, we would all use transistor amps wouldn't we?
I'd say for you, a Laney VC or Lionheart half-stack. Both are kickass for classic rock. If you could stretch your budget a bit, maybe grab an Orange Tiny Terror head, and the Orange 1x12? It has a V30 and is fairly cheap.
grr, ug crashed when i did my last post.

Like kyle says, with your budget and low wattage requirement, you should be able to get something which is pretty nice. the laney lionheart would be cool, but it's quite dear for what it is. It is a very nice amp, though, and you could do far, far worse.

The fargen miniplex might be cool, I've heard they're meant to be really good, but the problem is that (a) i haven't tried it, (b) i have no idea of the price, and (c) just going to the website has given me instant GAS for one.

EDIT: ok, scratch that, i finally found a price. $2100. i guess to put a positive spin on it, my GAS has disappeared...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/766818161.html Mesa 22 watt all tube. I know, 15 watts max, but that's worth a try. I would say search craigslist daily, you never know what you would find. Look for some of the older Vintage Club Crates too. They sound great but run a little hot. (Dirt cheap, room for effects Page uses). On the pricier side, you see some boutique stuff near that price range and wattage range, but they are rare. I have seen Tophats and Matchless but usually around $1000 and up.

How'd you know i live in Sac? haha. But thanks everyone for the help

Quote by johlin
There is a common misconception about the quality of Vox CC amps. From what I've heard, they are actually more reliable than the TB reissues in the 90s. Many artists who were using those have now gone to using CC. There were a lot of problems in the beginning but during 2006 a new revision came out which (according to a vox tech I read posts by) sorted problems with ghost notes, motorboating, added a speaker jack and so on.

The only issue I have heard of from the newer models is that the AC30 chews through rectifier tubes in weeks (the AC15 has got solid state rectifier). The solution for this is to get a Weber Copper Cap which will last forever if used correctly.

The AC15 is a good amp. The cleans are what you would expect from a vox and it takes pedals decently. It has some problems with some distortion pedals but most of the time it works just fine. A bright cap modification will also help combat those issues.

It will however not give you much gain at lower volumes so either get overdrive pedals, attentuator, a less powerful amp (but even 5w is extremely loud if you want it to overdrive naturally) or a set of earplugs.

Hey thanks for all the help, but where can i find information on the bright cap mod? i've searched all over the net and can't find anything on it.

Quote by sublimezeppelin
Hey thanks for all the help, but where can i find information on the bright cap mod? i've searched all over the net and can't find anything on it.

http://www.voxmods.com/wiki/Top_Boost_Channel_%27Treble_Cap_Mod%27

You'll have to be handy with a solder iron though, and know what you are doing (don't touch the filter caps, lethal voltages). Experiment with different values.