Poll: What should i do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should i do?
Re-tube and re-cap it. It wont decrease the resale value.
13 93%
Keep it original, don't touch a thing! Buy a tube combo for gigs.
1 7%
Voters: 14.
I have a 1964 Fender Bassman half stack that was passed down to me by my father. The amp is in dire need of a re-tubing and possibly the replacement of caps. I personally have never needed to re-tube any of my amps but my bassmann obviously needs care due to the low "humming" sound and "dull" or unwarm sound. The humming is defiantly the head and not the cab.

My main concern is, would re-tubing and re-capping my amp decrease it's value due to non original parts? Should i do this myself or would a shop be better off doing it for me? Would it be worth it to keep the amp all original and buy a separate combo tube amp to gig with? My concern is to try to make the amp sound great and original, but my highest priority is to keep the value.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
It shouldn't affect the value, those are only small repairs. I'd have a tech change the caps ,but you can probally retube it yourself.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Seek out a real amp craftsman, and tell him of your concerns. If you're willing to spend, you can have your caps replaced with original quality caps, and tubes replaced with NOS tubes. It's worth the investment both for maintaining the value of the amp AND enjoying it before you sell it.

An amp that's making humming and other noises isn't worth as much as one in complete original working order - whether the parts are original or not.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Trust me, i have no intentions of selling my baby anytime soon, i'm just trying to keep it at its best so if sometime in the future it comes time to sell, i get my moneys worth.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
Most certainly get it up and running at full speed. I agree with slats about the original quality caps and NOS tubes, too.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Hi,
You need to replace the filter caps. They will not likely decrease the value of the amp, and it is a necessary step if you want to avoid blowing something else up (like the transformers, which will destroy the original tone and value of the amp).
I would also retube the amp. You can always keep the old tubes and put them back in if a buyer wishes.
Well it CAN decrease the value. However this is only important if you try and sell it to a collector, who's not really going to play the amp (yes they exist!) who wants EVERYTHING original. But for every player out there, a well maintained amp is MUCH better, so to them it might INCREASE the value! My tip is that if you can't afford NOS tubes, get some good filter caps in there (Sprauge are good from what I hear) and some Tung-Sol preamp tubes and JJ tubes. You can then keep the amp like this and POSSIBLY (if even necessary?) put in NOS parts if you are to sell it.

Generally thing like maintenance won't affect the value and if it would, it's so small. Generally a well maintained amp will be much easier to sell, because the condition will be better anyway, so it MIGHT increase the value. I wouldn't worry at all if I were you.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
Hi,
You need to replace the filter caps. They will not likely decrease the value of the amp, and it is a necessary step if you want to avoid blowing something else up (like the transformers, which will destroy the original tone and value of the amp).
I would also retube the amp. You can always keep the old tubes and put them back in if a buyer wishes.

I could replace the tubes myself, but could replacing the filter caps be difficult? My dad is a computer technician and knows how to sodder and knows all the ins and outs of technology/computers/mechanics. Could he do it?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
^ If your dad knows his way around electronics, and knows how to mess around safely with the voltages in an amp, then sure.
Could anyone recomend or link me to a specific tube or caps that i could use in my bassman? There are so many tubes out there, i would not invest in NOS tubes just yet.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
^Check the tube sticky for good reviews there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Roc8995
Hi,

Yes. The bottom line is to preserve the chassis, cab, and transformers. Tubes and speakers are expected to wear out. Quality parts are a good idea, but I wouldn't go crazy. No need to get $20 a pop paper and oil caps with Sprague Atoms or Mojo Vitamin T's will do just as well.