Page 1 of 2
Out of these amps which one has a better 'shred' sounding distortion?

Bugera 6260
Peavey 5150
Mesa DC
Mesa F-50

I know the 6260 is a copy of the 5150 but I've heard they have distinct differences.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
mesas will give you super heavey tones like the metallica "scooped" sound, and the 5150 will give you like an eddie van halen tone. im not too sure about the bugera. if you want to shred i would say the peavey 5150.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
mesas will give you super heavey tones like the metallica "scooped" sound, and the 5150 will give you like an eddie van halen tone. im not too sure about the bugera. if you want to shred i would say the peavey 5150.

Dude, if you don't know anything about what's going on, don't post. EVH didn't even use a peavey 5150.

You suggested someone with $1000 dollars to spend a valveking...

@TS,
As i have not played the Mesa DC, i cannot offer you advice there, but from the clips i've heard of the F-50, it would probably be pretty good for shred...
But what exactly do you mean by shred? There are a lot of different tones. If you're going more for a satch, or vai type, more mellow tone, i've heard the carvin legacy amps have a really nice lead tone, But if you mean more of a metal solo like tone, then a 5150/6260 should be just fine
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Dude, if you don't know anything about what's going on, don't post. EVH didn't even use a peavey 5150.

I agree.

Ts, out of those selections, the ebst for shred would probably be the 5150, consideirn git's got that lead grit one would need to shred, but it can be a bit hollow. Mesas are too rhythmic as they further emphasise low end and are better for modern rock type solos and rhythm tones. If you were solely into shred, I would look at a Peavey JSX or XXX personally, or maybe an Mesa Road King as a maybe.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
DC is an extremly tight low end amp almost like a Mark II C+ type sound AND has parametric eq for super adjustment.

F-50 is extremely warm and is the opposite of tight in my opinion.

5150 is brutal distortion that might get a bit flabby as it goes higher volume...needs some eq-ing to stay tight.

Bugera is kind of a rip off of the 5150 if i m not mistaking it with the other model and people say it doenst have as much gain.

I d go with the mesa DC or with a Mark 2/3/4 if u can find one
Bugera 6260.... tone and price wise...you can't beat it..... tigh distortion, huge bottom end, searing highs and nice mids... honestly, this has more gain than you will ever use....

Everyone is talking about reliability...but really, there are few in numbers.... only a couple on this forum actually out of the 900,000+ registered members (yes I know not all are active).....in fact... I'm pretty sure there are more people on this forum with marshall or mesa problems than bugera amps......
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
yes but only because more people buy marshall or mesa amps i m not saying anything tho since i havent tried the bugera but i have tried the other 3 and they re all different...

i still must say the least chunky and tight one is the f-50....its abit too warm and bluesy for shred unless u really crank it and i m sure u want to have an at least GOOD tone even at low volumes
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Bugera 6260.... tone and price wise...you can't beat it..... tigh distortion, huge bottom end, searing highs and nice mids... honestly, this has more gain than you will ever use....

Everyone is talking about reliability...but really, there are few in numbers.... only a couple on this forum actually out of the 900,000+ registered members (yes I know not all are active).....in fact... I'm pretty sure there are more people on this forum with marshall or mesa problems than bugera amps......

Then again....there just might be more people on this forum with mesas and marshalls than bugeras right...? Nah couldnt be.

Anyway look at a Mark IV should have a super tight tone, its almsot the pinnacle of tightness really haha.
Quote by kool98769

You suggested someone with $1000 dollars to spend a valveking...

@TS,
As i have not played the Mesa DC, i cannot offer you advice there, but from the clips i've heard of the F-50, it would probably be pretty good for shred...
But what exactly do you mean by shred? There are a lot of different tones. If you're going more for a satch, or vai type, more mellow tone, i've heard the carvin legacy amps have a really nice lead tone, But if you mean more of a metal solo like tone, then a 5150/6260 should be just fine

what are you talking about? EVH didn't even use a 5150?. have you ever seen them live? i saw them on the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour in 91 and the Balance tour in 95. and what do you see on stage, a wall of 5150s. EVH used the **** of of them for recording and all.

i have been around man. im 30 years old and have seen Van Halen a few times during the 5150 era

he used modified Marshall JCM 800s for along time until Peavey came along and he and them designed an amp for him in 1990. and then left peavey in 2004 and that when the 5150s became the 6505 series

now he uses the EVH 5150 IIIs made by fender but sold under the name EVH
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Last edited by AndyRevenge at Jul 29, 2008,
The 'shred' sound I'm looking for is a rather thick sound with good attack and intonation, something like Yngwie's tone. I also like to play a lot of older metal and some newer. (To be honest I play everything but I appreciate a great distortion much more than a great clean).

I'm looking to spend around $500-$600 and I can buy used.

So far:
Bugera 6260
The poster that wrote about this amp said it didn't have a lot of gain which made me disregard his post... No one else has said anything about it.
Peavey 5150
Some people have said it's too hollow for shred and a bit too loose.
Mesa DC
Some said that this amp was extremely tight and others have said that it is too warm sounding.
Mesa F-50
People have posted completely different answers regarding this amp. Some say it's extremely tight and some say it's extremely warm and bluesy....

As regards to the other amps:
Peavey XXX
This is also within my price range but I've heard it's a love or hate relationship with this amp.
Mesa IV
I believe this amp is out of my price range...but you guys say it has a nice and tight distortion.
Mesa Road King
This amp is defidently out of my price range.....

So far there hasn't been too many clear posts regarding these amps. More opinions is must!
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Last edited by thriller4life at Jul 29, 2008,
ok, what do you mean by tight?

an amp can be both tight and warm sounding.

in fact one of the main purposes of tube amps is that they are warmer than solid state amps.
Quote by al112987
ok, what do you mean by tight?

an amp can be both tight and warm sounding.

I know that...I guess your reffering to the F-50? In there I typed 'warm and bluesy'.... I don't mind a warm sound at all but bluesy isn't really meant for shred.......
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
I know that...I guess your reffering to the F-50? In there I typed 'warm and bluesy'.... I don't mind a warm sound at all but bluesy isn't really meant for shred.......

The F-50 is not voiced for blues at all, whoever said that is an idiot.

I mean, you could probably play blues on it, but you could play blues on a 5150 too. Its not voiced like a Fender bassman or super reverb or Marshall JTM45 or something.
None of these amps sound Marshally though, something that is required for Yngwie-ish tones imo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by thriller4life
The 'shred' sound I'm looking for is a rather thick sound with good attack and intonation, something like Yngwie's tone. I also like to play a lot of older metal and some newer. (To be honest I play everything but I appreciate a great distortion much more than a great clean).

I'm looking to spend around $500-$600 and I can buy used.

So far:
Bugera 6260
The poster that wrote about this amp said it didn't have a lot of gain which made me disregard his post... No one else has said anything about it.
Peavey 5150
Some people have said it's too hollow for shred and a bit too loose.
Mesa DC
Some said that this amp was extremely tight and others have said that it is too warm sounding.
Mesa F-50
People have posted completely different answers regarding this amp. Some say it's extremely tight and some say it's extremely warm and bluesy....

As regards to the other amps:
Peavey XXX
This is also within my price range but I've heard it's a love or hate relationship with this amp.
Mesa IV
I believe this amp is out of my price range...but you guys say it has a nice and tight distortion.
Mesa Road King
This amp is defidently out of my price range.....

So far there hasn't been too many clear posts regarding these amps. More opinions is must!

hahaha the 6260 and 6262 HAVE huge amounts of gain. i have the 6262 and it has enough for shred metal and then some. even the 333. it has that Mesa tone to it( not saying it sounds like a mesa) just has that compressed OD in it. the 333XL has that the Modded Marshall tone with super gain. more like the JSX by peavey
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by kool98769

Are you sure about that man? I'm pretty sure he did under Peavey's sponsorship......

And TS, I would think the 5150 probably has the tightest... But I don't have a ton of experience with the other amps...

can you go try the amps?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
Are you sure about that man? I'm pretty sure he did under Peavey's sponsorship......

And TS, I would think the 5150 probably has the tightest... But I don't have a ton of experience with the other amps...

can you go try the amps?

yeah he did.
he had peavey design an amp for him in 1991 and used the 5150 series until about 2004 when he left peavey all together and started designing the EVH 5150 III with fender. the 5150 II was just a modded version of the 5150 that EVH started useing to get better cleans during his time with Peavey

when he left peavey still owned the rights to the amp design so they swaped the name to the 6505/6505+, since EVH owns the trademark to 5150
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

I don't give a **** if EVH played the amp or not.... So the 5150 has got a lot of votes and andy put in a good word for Bugera.

Anyone else?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Go for the Mesa! I love Mesa's, truely my favorite brand of amp. They can even nail softer tones.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
in my experience the mesa DCs are a little loose sounding for extreme shred. of course it is still playable, but i would imagine some of the others would be better choices
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
I put a huge word in for Bugera....go read my post.
I don't gig as of right now and I probably won't turn the volume nob up past .5-2. Is it worth it to buy these amps? I still want a good tone but I just can't turn it up loud.

The Bugera is 120watts tube so I think they may be a huge overkill? What do you think and what do you reccommend?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
The thing about that is:

IMHO it is worth spending the extra money now. Who knows man, hoenstly, you could end up playing arenas in the next 2 years....anyways...

I really think that if you buy the Bugera, buy a non-bugera cabinet. Something from Vader or Mesa/Boogie.....

Also, you should save enough cash to buy a power attenuator so you can get those good tones at lower volumes....totally worth it IMO
Quote by thriller4life
I don't give a **** if EVH played the amp or not.... So the 5150 has got a lot of votes and andy put in a good word for Bugera.

Anyone else?

i was just making a point to the guy that posted saying EVH never used the 5150 amps
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by Brendan.Clace
The thing about that is:

IMHO it is worth spending the extra money now. Who knows man, hoenstly, you could end up playing arenas in the next 2 years....anyways...

I really think that if you buy the Bugera, buy a non-bugera cabinet. Something from Vader or Mesa/Boogie.....

Also, you should save enough cash to buy a power attenuator so you can get those good tones at lower volumes....totally worth it IMO

I'm looking at the combo versions actually. Do you think a head and a cab will sound better? That would cost me significantly more money though and I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

So for the price is the Bugera going to be the best for what I'm looking for? - Tight shred tone with good intonation (probably a compression pedal to help). I like Yngwie's tone, Slayer, Children of Bodom, EVH, Led Zepplin, GnR, etc...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
I'm looking at the combo versions actually. Do you think a head and a cab will sound better? That would cost me significantly more money though and I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

So for the price is the Bugera going to be the best for what I'm looking for? - Tight shred tone with good intonation (probably a compression pedal to help). I like Yngwie's tone, Slayer, Children of Bodom, EVH, Led Zepplin, GnR, etc...

i would say hell yeah man. my bugera 6262 shreds ass..haha. im actually getting a compression pedal soon for mine and a EQ pedal just to beef it up and get my punk sound like my 5150 II gives me.

id say a combo for sure cause you can always pick up a 2x12 cab later on down the road if you need it. i run a 2x12 mesa cab with mine on stage with G12t-75s in mine
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Personally, I have always liked the head/cab vs. combo because of speakers... plain and simple...speakers.....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Personally, I have always liked the head/cab vs. combo because of speakers... plain and simple...speakers.....

i know what you mean man. i love both my half stacks. 5150 II and Mesa dual rect.

but with a 120watt tube 2x12 combo you really don't need a full stack at all. its all preference i guess. just throw a 2x12 on the bugera combo and you got yourself a stack. i mean i could understand if you are playing arenas and stuff, but even then put a cab on the combo amp and problem solved
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
i know what you mean man. i love both my half stacks. 5150 II and Mesa dual rect.

but with a 120watt tube 2x12 combo you really don't need a full stack at all. its all preference i guess. just throw a 2x12 on the bugera combo and you got yourself a stack. i mean i could understand if you are playing arenas and stuff, but even then put a cab on the combo amp and problem solved

Speakers and construction are different.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Thanks for the fast replies Andy. Unless anyone reccommends me another amp soon I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Bugera. But does anyone think there's a better amp for the price?

How different will the amp sound if I go with the head/cab instead of the combo? And will the head/cab still sound good at lower volumes?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
The amp will sound immensely better with a head/ca (especially with Vader cabs). I'm not saying that it won't sound good with the stock speakers of the combo, in fact it will sound incredible, but I think if you spend the extra money on the 2x12 cab from Vader ($399) it would improve upon awesomeness...which is hard to do.
Quote by thriller4life

I hit the front of my Bugera 333XL with a BOSS DS-1 set as an OD and it compresses the signal very well. I play a lot of the same stuff you've got listed. Love the classic metal tones.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Speakers and construction are different.

yes i know. speaker swap will make it sound just as good with a 2x12 cab as well
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by Brendan.Clace
The amp will sound immensely better with a head/ca (especially with Vader cabs). I'm not saying that it won't sound good with the stock speakers of the combo, in fact it will sound incredible, but I think if you spend the extra money on the 2x12 cab from Vader ($399) it would improve upon awesomeness...which is hard to do.

well yeah.. thats a given. but you could spend like $100 later on swap the speakers in the combo like i did problem solved. its all preference. some people like the half stacks some people like the combos.

im a little of both myself. if he has the money to spend and wants to, go with the head and crap you a good 2x12 cab or 4x12 cab, but if not go with the combo.

i have heard both of them and they sound fantastic!
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by Brendan.Clace

You use a 5150 II for punk?

TS, do yourself a favor and get a 5150/6505 if you want very tight distortion. You won't regret it.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
My Bugera 333xl has a smoothish distortion when used right, but farty when used at low volumes (durh)

It has el34s (marshally sound apparantly) which you can swap to the 6l6s (same as in a 6505) but i havent done that yet.

Theres my input.
Quote by rwalby9
You use a 5150 II for punk?

TS, do yourself a favor and get a 5150/6505 if you want very tight distortion. You won't regret it.

yes i use a 5150 II for punk. its the best amp i have ever used for my band and style of music. i love the tone, plus mine is modded a bit. check out my profile, i have my bands tunes on there. i used my 5150 II for recording in the studio and my other guitar player uses a Mesa dual rec.

i also have a Mesa Dual rect as well, but use it on stage somtimes and i use it to record stuff in my little studio we have.

so i mostly use my 5150 II and my Bugera 6262 on the road

alot of good punk bands use 5150s and 5150 II. like No Use For a Name, The Briggs, Hot Water Music, The Draft...etc.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Page 1 of 2