Are there any guitarists that actually max out all of their settings on the amp (treble, mid, bass)? I do, and on the ultimate settings thread, ALL of the guitarists have SOMETHING turned down. and is there a reason why some stuff might have to be turned down, or is it just personal preference?

by the way, mick thompson of slipknot is on the ultimate settings thread twice.
Because with it maxed out it usually sounds like ****.

-or-

Because when everything is maxed out, it makes it seem like your a n00b.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
lol, my amp goes up to eleven! nah, jking. heck whatever floats your boat. if you like the sound thats all that matters.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

usually people who don't focus on their tone do so. my friend has his fender blues deluxe with all the knobs to 12 except for volume. he knows it sounds like crap, but doesn't care to tweak it.

it's annoying
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by slash4114
lol, my amp goes up to eleven! nah, jking. heck whatever floats your boat. if you like the sound thats all that matters.

thank you for actually responding in an intelligent way unlike some other posts here.
I use to do that with my MG and my Bad Dog. Until I realized it sounded like crap. So I turned the mids to zero. Then I got a real amp and found out what tone is. So, I don't max it out anymore, or cut the mids. Sometimes I'll max my amp just for the hell of it, but it's really freaking loud. I wonder what a 100W tube full stack would sound like maxed out...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Well, you turn them down or up to tweak your tone to your liking.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
My friend does that on his spider, which is pissing annoying because no matter what i never can hear myself over him because his signal is so big.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
usually people who don't focus on their tone do so. my friend has his fender blues deluxe with all the knobs to 12 except for volume. he knows it sounds like crap, but doesn't care to tweak it.

it's annoying

he might not have a good amp/effects, unless you just like it tweaked.
the blues deluxe is a fine amp. it wasn't meant to be flabby (bass at 12) and piercing (treble and presence at 12) at the same time.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^That's a perfectly fine amp unless you don't want to play clean.

But, they're there for a reason. If EQ didn't need tweaking, then there would be no need for EQ knobs on basically every amp made.

EDIT: Your post beat mine! And we both called the amp "fine." O_o
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah, I agree with Slash4114.

It's your tone, do what you want with it. As long as you like it, that's the only thing that matters.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by UnsignedRecords

it's annoying

i think the knobs only work on the gain vchannel lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

it depends on the amp, on marshalls (especially early Marshalls) its very common to max out mids and treble and keep the bass around 0-2 (and presence around 5-8)
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Angus set everything to 10 if i remember correctly...

Not a chance, the bass on JTM45's gets super flabby and farts out as soon as the bass gets passed 2 with humbuckers, and when the volume gets to 10, the gain is far beyond Angus territory and getting into Black Sabbath level.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Not a chance, the bass on JTM45's gets super flabby and farts out as soon as the bass gets passed 2 with humbuckers, and when the volume gets to 10, the gain is far beyond Angus territory and getting into Black Sabbath level.

I thought he basically boosted his treble and volume and had the bass and mids on half or so.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I thought he basically boosted his treble and volume and had the bass and mids on half or so.

Sounds reasonable but when I think of Angus tone, I think of a JTM45 with the volume at around 7. Rolling off the volume on the guitar a bit gives you that "Jailbreak" type of crunch.
I think the treblyness of his tone is basically the use of an SG which is kind of thinner sounding than an LP. That is probably why I need to push the treble a bit more on my LP to get his tone. Granted, I'm not using a JTM45 but I guess my amp is voiced similarly enough.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^That's a perfectly fine amp unless you don't want to play clean.

But, they're there for a reason. If EQ didn't need tweaking, then there would be no need for EQ knobs on basically every amp made.

EDIT: Your post beat mine! And we both called the amp "fine." O_o

it has to be true then!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by jess2112
Are there any guitarists that actually max out all of their settings on the amp (treble, mid, bass)? I do, and on the ultimate settings thread, ALL of the guitarists have SOMETHING turned down. and is there a reason why some stuff might have to be turned down, or is it just personal preference?

by the way, mick thompson of slipknot is on the ultimate settings thread twice.

Well, if I were to give you an explanation, it would be that simply maxing out everything would kill the note definition and clarity of the amp, since everything is fighting for prominence, ESPECIALLY with a tube amp. Solely turning the gain up to 10 by itself is overkill usually, as you lose a lot of tone undr all that fuzzy, fizzy mess. Also, with the EQ, different EQ settings equal completely different tones, such as the metal sound GENERALLY having scooped mids and accentuated highs and lows. On tube amps, the volume is usually put quite high to get a more crunchy, pleasant and powerful sound.

That is the main reason why things have to be turned down, where your tone lies is your personal preference as long you take those fundamnetals into account. I mean, that's why thereis an endless amount of tones available from the one amplifier, why about 5000 artists can use Mesa Rectifiers and sound different from the next.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Some people do it if they need to get more volume out of their amp (eg. jimi hendrix). However, this only works if you have a tube amp (otherwise it sounds like ****) and your speakers can handle it (which means you need at least a halfstack designed for high volume playing).

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I think Tom Morello does it? ALthough I'm not completely sure.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.