how does satriani get that sound in "surfing with the alien"? it sounds like a combination of pinch harmonics and wah.

can someone enlighten me?
I often see Satriani reach under and grab the whammy bar with his left hand and get a high squeal out of his guitar. (Ex., see Surfing With The Alien or Flyng In A Blue Dream - live. ) His hands aren't on the strings, so... What's he doing to get that sound?

.............. _
|/ _ o_|_ |_ .|_ | _ ._ _|_ ... _ ._ ._|
|\(/_| |_ | | | .|(/_(/_ |_\/\/(_)(_)(_|

Quote by kfleetwood
I often see Satriani reach under and grab the whammy bar with his left hand and get a high squeal out of his guitar. (Ex., see Surfing With The Alien or Flyng In A Blue Dream - live. ) His hands aren't on the strings, so... What's he doing to get that sound?

It's a Satch Scream. You grab the whammy bar with your left hand, and make a pinch harmonic on an open string. Pull the bar down and then back up and you get instant Satchiness.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 29, 2008,
He also used a broken Eventide harmonizer for the lead in Surfing. It actually completely broke the minute he finished the outro solo.
what the two guys above me said... the Eventid harmonizer was jumpin randomly during the recording, and broke the minute Satch finished the outro solo, as wasp2020 said. the harmonic screams are as Iron_Dude said, and they´re kinda hard to do... I do them with natural harmonics around the 2/3rd frets. hope I helped
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
natural harmonics are harmonics you get when you touch your finger LIGHTLY over the string at certain node points (example: 12th fret)
Quote by AvengedFoghat
natural harmonics are harmonics you get when you touch your finger LIGHTLY over the string at certain node points (example: 12th fret)

like the beginning of metallica's sanitarium?
I don't listen to much metallica. but if it has a bell like tone, its probably a natural harmonic.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
I don't listen to much metallica. but if it has a bell like tone, its probably a natural harmonic.

i think i know what you're talking about. thanks.
Quote by J.A.M
Sanitarium's naturals, yeah.

thanks. interesting username/avatar combo, by the way.
Quote by Iron_Dude
It's a Satch Scream. You grab the whammy bar with your left hand, and make a pinch harmonic on an open string. Pull the bar down and then back up and you get instant Satchiness.

Isn't this a classic Dimebag technique? I can see him with whiskey in one hand and the whammy bar in the other...
"I sorta don't trust anyone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"
-Jack White
Quote by lespaul5391
Isn't this a classic Dimebag technique? I can see him with whiskey in one hand and the whammy bar in the other...

Dimebag Squeal uses a natural harmonic.
Satch Scream uses a pitch harmonic on an open string.
Quote by lespaul5391

It's the same sound, but I think Satch looks way cooler doing his.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR