Well, I need some advice on what to do. In my band I'm sort of the go to guy. Were pretty much a pop punk/hardcore band. Recently we acquired a new drummer who was done with the whole metal-core thing, and well, lets just say the lead guitarist is a complete metal head. If anything is too punk, he speeds it up tenfold, and makes it incredibly chunky which doesn't fit in with the style. Well recently I've been told to talk to him (which I have) about this, and still no result. This guy has been my best friend since I was in grade school (college now) and I have no clue what to do, cause I do not want to kick him out. Any advice?
Well, if talking doesn't help, then maybe you can work around it. Sort of mold your ideas into one. My band has this kind of problem sometimes. Sometimes I play stuff that is hardcore and the others want to tone it down. We just work around it and mold our ideas together. It's a great way to breach the stereotypical music genres.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
True could try that, its also just that well, he's pretty much amazing compared to the rest of us, I can keep up with him, but not doing all the soloing and what not, and our bass player, well lets just say I have had to stop the song and show him the right notes to play (on lines that he wrote). But yeah, some how we could try that. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.
Aw, I feel for you lead guitarist...

Hardcore music just gets annoying after a few minutes and I hate it with a passion. For the best for your lead guitarist kick him out so he can grow as a musician with another band.

No offense to your band or the genre.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Disturbed137
Well, if talking doesn't help, then maybe you can work around it. Sort of mold your ideas into one. My band has this kind of problem sometimes. Sometimes I play stuff that is hardcore and the others want to tone it down. We just work around it and mold our ideas together. It's a great way to breach the stereotypical music genres.

Agreed.
You really don't want to stick strictly with the same old genre all the time, because that way, you end up sounding like a clone of every other band in that genre, which is completely unoriginal.
If you take elements of other genres however and mix them up with your own, you make new genres of your own, which is very original and is generally criticaly acclaimed.
Trying to be original when there are six billion people in the world isn't going to work folks..

If he doesn't want to play your kind of music, kick him out, if he can be reasoned with, do it. He sounds like a solid guy and if you still want him you'll either have to slow him down, or speed up. Or meet in the middle somewhere.
Dorkus.
Maybe if that is his thing, maybe that is all he knows. It has become ingrained in him and is now part of his playing style, but his playing style is kind of stilted due to a lack of experience with other genres.

Your original post seems to suggest that he is willing enough to cooperate, at least on the surface.

Have him learn some songs from a genre closer to what your band is doing. Sit down with him and just jam on *those* songs - just you and him - and help him work on things that are a little more idiomatic to YOUR genre as opposed to where his experience base is.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by herman ri2
No Blues is, you jackass.

Depends on what you call metal really, If you're talking about classic metal like Sabbath, then yes, blues (and quite a bit of jazz too) is the route of metal, but all of the modern hardcore versions of metal stem from the rock/punk crossover of the 80s.
But then again, take punk back far enough and you'll find it's a decendant of blues anyway.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by herman ri2
No Blues is, you jackass.

lol ****ing hilarious blues is in fact the root of all music even though metal now is MIXED with punk and other genres

but bringing it back to your guitarists problem sometimes playing guitar with your best friend is not as great as first thought so kick him and let him explore his style more or start trying incorporating his influences too.
Haha... they BOTH got banned!

Blues is the root of *all* music, though? Uh.... no. Pop music and its permutations, okay. All music... no.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by supafreak

blues is in fact the root of all music

Yeah, blues is even the root of music that came before blues, it's that old.