Page 1 of 2
How do I get that nice pantera tone? That crunch. I've got an Agile 2000, stock guitar. What pickups could I use to get that kind of tone? I'm running through a Fender SuperChamp XD (15w all-tube)
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
I'm running through a Fender SuperChamp XD (15w all-tube)

haw.

Fender amps rock, but you're not going to get a Pantera with that amp. sorry.
Pups: Bill Lawrence L500XL with the blades rversed (put in backwards)

Effects: Get a Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Wh-1 Whammy
A noisgate of some kind

Amp: Randall Warhead stack. Use the built in gain.
Also, a MXR Zakk Wylde Distortion. I just looked it up and that's what he used in his live touring.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
And, pickups. Dimebucker.

Dude, not to flame, but you're retarded. Dime NEVER used those (because they sound like ****), and they're overpriced. Prove me wrong. They are $100 and the BL's are only $55.
so the amp is **** for pantera? Can I make due with replacing the pups in my guitar for now and later on down the road get another amp?
Quote by RabbidWolf
so the amp is **** for pantera? Can I make due with replacing the pups in my guitar for now and later on down the road get another amp?

Yeah dude, I'm sorry but you can't get a Pantera tone from a tube amp.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Line 6 = worst amp in the world. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Line 6 isnt an amp, einstein. Line 6 makes great amps, such as the Vetta. But you're probably just going along with the bandwagon and saying Spiders suck so much that you would rather play without an amp than play with a Spider. They arent BAD amps, they were meant for practice, and practice only. Dont ask me why they made 120 watt versions.

To TS: you're not gonna have much luck getting a good Pantera sound out of your amp. The most you could do is get a good distortion pedal and scoop the mids. That's the closest you will probably get.
Quote by DimebagRIP93

Is there something cheaper than the Randall Warhead that I could get to get closer to that tone? I'd like it to be able to get over a drum kit.
Quote by headbanger703
You need a line 6 amp for that sound dude

Quote by SDZAKKMF
And, pickups. Dimebucker.

No and no, actually. For the amp, a Randall is obviously going to get you much closer to the tone you want; try a bunch of good solid state combos and you'll get much closer than you would with a Line 6.

SDZAKKMF - His name on the pickup does not mean he used it. He used the L500XL's, never a Dimebucker. They were installed in reverse position as well.
Quote by RabbidWolf
Is there something cheaper than the Randall Warhead that I could get to get closer to that tone? I'd like it to be able to get over a drum kit.

Idk any particular models, but you have to go solid state. Only advice I can give is avoid marshall solid states!!! You have been warned.......
Quote by :-D

No and no, actually. For the amp, a Randall is obviously going to get you much closer to the tone you want; try a bunch of good solid state combos and you'll get much closer than you would with a Line 6.

SDZAKKMF - His name on the pickup does not mean he used it. He used the L500XL's, never a Dimebucker. They were installed in reverse position as well.

You're awesome because you actually know what you're talking about!
Quote by DimebagRIP93

*CoughKrankenstein*cough*
Quote by DimebagRIP93
You're awesome because you actually know what you're talking about!

This is why it's nice when gear threads come up; usually it's just assumed that any artist whose name appears on equipment must have used said equipment.
Ok, who said I used them. I haven't even played them so no big deal. If you say so. I am a fan of pantera, I have every album, and love their music very much. So I am not updated on the literature of pantera, I will run circles around you in Netzsche and Locke literature. How about postmodernism? Do you know anything about critical theories on race and law?
Quote by SDZAKKMF
So I am not updated on the literature of pantera, I will run circles around you in Netzsche and Locke literature. How about postmodernism? Do you know anything about critical theories on race and law?

Not much, and that's why I'm not posting in a forum about those topics. In short, do your research before posting.

/owned
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Ok, who said I used them. I haven't even played them so no big deal. If you say so. I am a fan of pantera, I have every album, and love their music very much. So I am not updated on the literature of pantera, I will run circles around you in Netzsche and Locke literature. How about postmodernism? Do you know anything about critical theories on race and law?

*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
Quote by :-D
Not much, and that's why I'm not posting in a forum about those topics. In short, do your research before posting.

/owned

((((((()))))))

That was funny.
Owned? Alright. I am a musician, and music is my passion. I have been playing for 8 years, and know many Pantera songs. Again, just a fan, not much of someone who reaserches every artist he listens to.
Three good amps that come with that sound:
Line 6
Randall (tube)
Krankenstein (any of them)
I'm not familar with Line 6 or Randall, and sadly I don't remmber how I got it out of my Krankenstein I tinkered A LOT for a bout a month on it and I managed to get it. Also with my Dean ML, and my Razobacks, I switch the pickups really quick while playing, adds a HUGE bass to the "crunch" sound..

If you ask me... Krankenstein is the way to go. They're tubed, huge power awesome "Kleen" channels, and every switch and knob you could imagine to make your own sound.. But.. Expensive
Last edited by Filter at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Owned? Alright.

Okay, that's all I needed to hear.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
I am a musician, and music is my passion. I have been playing for 8 years, and know many Pantera songs.

Translation: For the second time, I'm sidestepping the fact that I was wrong.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Again, just a fan, not much of someone who reaserches every artist he listens to.

You don't have to research everyone you listen to, but don't post when you don't know the answer. Should be a simple idea for somebody with firm grasps on both Nietzsche and Locke.
Quote by herman ri2
*CoughKrankenstein*cough*

True, the krankenstein may come close, but he never actually use it on recorded material. For the vast majority of his career he used Randall solid states.
If you looked at what guitar and amp I have you should kno I can't afford a $1500 amp lol,
Quote by DimebagRIP93
True, the krankenstein may come close, but he never actually use it on recorded material. For the vast majority of his career he used Randall solid states.

True.
Quote by DimebagRIP93

Yeah, but I think he occasionally used them live, as a "Field test".. Think I seen them once behind dime, when Damageplan was doing "Walk".

Oh and the Randall (tube), was a type-o
So I guess the next thing on my guitar gear list is a Randall solid state then I'll probably be modding my Agile AL 2000 with those pickups.
I get a pretty good pantera tone with my Danelectro Black Cofee distortion pedal. its not perfect, but it works. That was on my MG, too havent actually used it with my other amps yet.
When Dimebag Darrell of Pantera first exploded on the scene, he ushered in a new era of tone and attitude. When it comes to guitar, Dime doesn't need a "warm" or "pretty" sound. He can't be bothered with "vintage" this or "boutique" that. He wants a heavy, aggressive, razor-sharp tone that can slice through a loud band and a louder crowd. It's a tone that rages with distortion but remains tight and focused enough to keep up with lightening-fast rhythm lines and face-melting solos. Finally there's a pedal that can deliver all that: the The Dime® Distortion from MXR. With its 3-band EQ, proprietary Scoop switch, and ungodly output, this stomp box from Hell has the guts and the muscle to stand up to your heaviest displays of power. Crank the gain, boost the lows and highs, and hit the Scoop switch for a rhythm tone that will annihilate. Dial the mids back in and mow down the competition with a lead sound that can penetrate steel. If it still hasn't gotten heavy enough for you, stick the Dime in front of a distorted amp and experience sustain and sonic mayhem that’s so over the top it should come with a warning label. The Dime® Distortion—not subtle, not pretty. Power: Two 9-volt batteries (some early models may not have this feature), or Dunlop ECB-004 18-volt AC Adapter...
Quote by Filter
When Dimebag Darrell of Pantera first exploded on the scene, he ushered in a new era of tone and attitude. When it comes to guitar, Dime doesn't need a "warm" or "pretty" sound. He can't be bothered with "vintage" this or "boutique" that. He wants a heavy, aggressive, razor-sharp tone that can slice through a loud band and a louder crowd. It's a tone that rages with distortion but remains tight and focused enough to keep up with lightening-fast rhythm lines and face-melting solos. Finally there's a pedal that can deliver all that: the The Dime® Distortion from MXR. With its 3-band EQ, proprietary Scoop switch, and ungodly output, this stomp box from Hell has the guts and the muscle to stand up to your heaviest displays of power. Crank the gain, boost the lows and highs, and hit the Scoop switch for a rhythm tone that will annihilate. Dial the mids back in and mow down the competition with a lead sound that can penetrate steel. If it still hasn't gotten heavy enough for you, stick the Dime in front of a distorted amp and experience sustain and sonic mayhem that’s so over the top it should come with a warning label. The Dime® Distortion—not subtle, not pretty. Power: Two 9-volt batteries (some early models may not have this feature), or Dunlop ECB-004 18-volt AC Adapter...

what do you have one for sale or something? lol
Page 1 of 2