Alright guys.

I am shopping for my first tube amp, and I have not gotten many solid responses in the past.

I need some good opinions.

My budget is up to about $700, but I don't have it as of right now. (I would like to spend less than that if possible)

I play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal (AC/DC, Sabbath, Ozzy) Blues,Alternative, a tiny bit of jazz, and some shred.

My favorite guitarist right now is Steve Vai. (I dunno if that matters)

I am wanting a combo amp, because I may have to go places for jamming.

I need a giggable amp, with a lot of headroom.

I would like an amp with a good bit of gain, but it's not a necessity.

Please help.
Last edited by Explorer125 at Jul 29, 2008,
Peavey classic series has always been solid. Probably the best amp for that price. Use whatever is left over for some good stompboxes.

Heres the thing:

$700 is a good place to be for an intermediate amp but is (imo) right between entry level tube amps ($200-$500) and the next level (around $1000ish+). But the Classic 30 is solid. Definitely a good buy. You might be able to find a Marshall DSL401 used for around that price, maybe a little more. Overpriced amp, but pretty good if you can get it to around that price ($700-800ish).
Eh, I can't agree with the Classic 30 guys. It's a good amp for some styles (lighter rock, blues, country, pop) but it can't get as heavy as you might want it. A JCM 800 combo might be more down your alley.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by al112987
Peavey classic series has always been solid. Probably the best amp for that price. Use whatever is left over for some good stompboxes.

Heres the thing:

$700 is a good place to be for an intermediate amp but is (imo) right between entry level tube amps ($200-$500) and the next level (around $1000ish+). But the Classic 30 is solid. Definitely a good buy. You might be able to find a Marshall DSL401 used for around that price, maybe a little more. Overpriced amp, but pretty good if you can get it to around that price ($700-800ish).

Do you have any other suggestions?

I really don't care that much for Marshalls actually.

I have looked at the classic 30, and I feel that I could do better for my money.

One promising thing I have seen is the B-52 AT-100 combo. It looks really cool, and versatile, but I haven't heard any strong opinions on it.

But like I said, I am still wanting suggestions!
Quote by VoodooCow229
Eh, I can't agree with the Classic 30 guys. It's a good amp for some styles (lighter rock, blues, country, pop) but it can't get as heavy as you might want it. A JCM 800 combo might be more down your alley.

Idk, the classic 30 can get pretty heavy, and with a good boost, could certainly handle the stuff the original thread starter mentioned.

JCM800 is also a good suggestion, but if the poster is not a Marshall guy, then... idk.

I've heard ok things about Carvin, but I've never played one, and they're hard to find in stores. But they are priced well.

Traynors are also very good, but are voiced similar to Marshall's.
Jul 28 - Kustom '72 Coupe 212 all Tube Guitar Amp - $650 - (Concord, NC) pic

Jul 27 - Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary Tube Amp - $450 - (South Charlotte) pic

Jul 23 - Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Guitar Amp 40W Tube Amp - $400 - (Charlotte, NC)

Jul 20 - Brand New Fender Deville guitar amp! - $600 - (Fort Mill/Charlotte)

Jul 3 - Washburn HB30/Fender Stage 112SE/Foot Pedals/Misc - $600 - (Charlotte/Midwood) pic

Jul 1 - New tubes, upgraded speakers, Carvin 50w amp - $570 - (oak ridge)

Jun 25 - Washburn HB30/Fender Stage 112SE/Ibanez TS-9 - $600 - (Charlotte/Midwood)

Jun 25 - Crate 50 Watt Guitar tube amp - $500 - (Kannapolis) pic

Jun 18 - Tweed Blues Jr. NOS - $475 - (Charlotte)

I live in a really crappy area for buying this kind of stuff. I'm pretty much limited to Amazon or Ebay....
I found a Traynor YCV 50 blue on ebay inside of my price range, and that looks like a really good possibility. The reason I don't like Marshalls is because of the reliability issues, and the fact that they are so overpriced. You can get a much better amp for the money in almost any case with Marshalls.

What are everyone's opinions on the Traynor?

Btw, I don't have a problem buying used.
Get an old Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster head.

Does a great imitation of the 1986 bass JMP, and can be had for a VERY good price. It IS a head though so you'd need to buy a cab, but if you can get one for around $300-$500, jump on it and get an avatar 2x12 to go with it, and you will come out to around $700-$800.

some soundclips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c6VgxNb_y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sf2o-CgZvk

here are some on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=Traynor+Bassmaster&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Although perfect for the type of tones you are looking for, its a non master volume amp so it will be loud and you will need an attenuator if you want to play in your bedroom or at band practices. Also, its 2 channels but nonswitchable (like all vintage Marshalls) so if you're not using your guitar's volume to clean up the sound you will need to learn how to do so. (Todd Duane shows it in the second vid I posted, it cleans up exceptionally well). However, its a better amp than the current YCV50. But seriously, plexi-tone at that budget?
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah Traynor's get a lot of respect and you do have some nice amps to look at off your Craigslist search. Good luck...

I'm really trying to stay away from a halfstack here guys. I think I'm going for the YCV50 Blue. It sounds great, and it's all I would need. I mean, it's better than the VK right?
^ well, i haven't tried the 50, but if the 50 is as good as the 40 and 20, it's far superior to the valveking.

i'd also consider that kustom coupe which is in your list. i really liked the one i tried when i tried it, just over here the pricing is ridiculous (it's like twice what it goes for in the USA).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ well, i haven't tried the 50, but if the 50 is as good as the 40 and 20, it's far superior to the valveking.

i'd also consider that kustom coupe which is in your list. i really liked the one i tried when i tried it, just over here the pricing is ridiculous (it's like twice what it goes for in the USA).

Isn't the Kustom Coupe a very high gain amp? Or am I wrong? I saw some pretty br00talz tests on Youtube.
it can get high gain... i think it did the classic stuff quite well too. could be wrong though, it's a while since i tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it can get high gain... i think it did the classic stuff quite well too. could be wrong though, it's a while since i tried it.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Traynor, because it's in my price range, and I don't really like the concept of Craigslist. I'd rather buy from Ebay, but that's just me.

Thanks for the help, and I'm still open to suggestions.
good luck man and let us know...

side note simply to say that I like the concept of Craigslist because you can actually meet the person you are buying from, often times they are musicians or a dealer, and you can try before you buy and look it over real good, take your guitar, etc.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
good luck man and let us know...

side note simply to say that I like the concept of Craigslist because you can actually meet the person you are buying from, often times they are musicians or a dealer, and you can try before you buy and look it over real good, take your guitar, etc.

I suppose it's cool, but I'm not sure my parents would give me a ride to go meet some guy who is selling an amp.. lol.

Anyway, once I do get my amp, I'll put up some pics, and videos on Youtube.
On a sidenote...

Are you openly admitting to being a multi in your sig, or am i mistaken?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Explorer125
I found a Traynor YCV 50 blue on ebay inside of my price range, and that looks like a really good possibility. The reason I don't like Marshalls is because of the reliability issues, and the fact that they are so overpriced. You can get a much better amp for the money in almost any case with Marshalls.

What are everyone's opinions on the Traynor?

Btw, I don't have a problem buying used.

the jcm 800 is very reliable (if you get the verticle input model, the horizontal input model has some problems), is pretty much perfect for hard rock and metal, can do classic rock and even blues crunch pretty well and only lacks in cleans but can be helped with a chorus, used the combo goes for $500-$900 and 50 tube watts is all the power you will ever need

don't say you hate marshalls cause the jcm 900 is sub par and the mg and valvestate suck, there are a tone of other marshalls out there
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jul 29, 2008,
Of course the upside to the YCV50 is that you can afford a brand new one with Traynor's very respectable warranty, and it'll cover most of the JCM800's territory very convincingly.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by cmakkidguitar
On a sidenote...

Are you openly admitting to being a multi in your sig, or am i mistaken?

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.

Anyway, I think JCM 800 combos are a bit out of my price range and hard as hell to find.
Dude, jump all over that Kustom Coupe. It's a very versatile amp.

I just found this Traynor YCV80 for $500+shipping.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jul 29, 2008,
I think you've be happier with the ycv50Blue over the ycv80. The ycv80 to my knowledge is better for cleans but you're looking for a good Marshall tone right? Get the Blue. Or even the YCS (custom special) 50 which is Traynor's new lineup. I've had one for about 6 months now and I'm quite happy with it. Has a larger cab than most 1x12's so the bass rewsponse is surprisingly good for a semi open back combo.