I've been playing bass for about a year and I have had my fair share of finger injuries but, this one is by far the worst. I have a giant blister on each of my plucking fingers that I just popped. (That little issue thus hinders me from playing with my fingers so I thought I would work on my pick skills.) So my question is Do you guys have any particularly bad finger injuries? Post pictures(so we can feel your pain) if you have them. Sorry I don't have any but, I assure you it looks disgusting.
i never got gross blisters but my calluces wore out once when i studied abraod for a month so the tips of my fingers got kinda peely. that was kinda gross.
No pictures, but I chipped a bone in my right (plucking/picking hand) index finger, right on the joint of the second knuckle. The skin around it has gone a beautiful mixed shade of blues and yellows, it's twice the size it oughta be, and I've gotta play a gig in a few days.

Fuck anyone complaining about blisters.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by trevorjps
umm i play guitar ive made my fingers on my left hand bleed?

A guitarist has his/her fingers on sharper little strings so that's probably why a guitarist would probably have bleeding left hands before a bassist. But it does suck either way because you can't play for a few days.
Quote by Caustic
No pictures, but I chipped a bone in my right (plucking/picking hand) index finger, right on the joint of the second knuckle. The skin around it has gone a beautiful mixed shade of blues and yellows, it's twice the size it oughta be, and I've gotta play a gig in a few days.

Fuck anyone complaining about blisters.

I think you have everyone beaten unless someone says they lost part of their finger.
If a gig was in jeopardy I would play but, if not I wouldn't intentionally hurt myself just to play finger style.
And by the way I think you have everyone beaten unless someone says they lost part of their finger.
i cut my calluses off with a knife when they get too big, and if it starts to hurt too much I wear driving gloves or use a pick
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Zephyr-Chills
I think you have everyone beaten unless someone says they lost part of their finger.
If a gig was in jeopardy I would play but, if not I wouldn't intentionally hurt myself just to play finger style.
And by the way I think you have everyone beaten unless someone says they lost part of their finger.

I'm playing practices using a pick (EVH style, middle finger and thumb), but for the songs that I play fingerstyle on, I'm going to have to grin and bear it for the gig. Unfortunately that's most of them, and they're pretty busy lines. After the gig I'm resting it up like crazy though.

Hate to say it, but I'm used to this kind of shit at gigs though. I'm the cursed bassist. In the past couple of years, I've played:

• With a massive fever, tremors and pouring with sweat.
  • When I had stitches in my leg, which bust open mid gig. I felt an odd pulling sensation when it happened but didn't realise they'd bust because it was dark and I was bugged out on painkillers... shoe full of blood and a return trip to casualty for that one.
  • After taking a punch to the face from an ex-girlfriends brother (who let that asshole in?) which split my septum (the bendy bit of your nose that seperates the nostrils). Had to get a septoplasty for that.
  • After tripping over a patch lead and twisting my ankle, played the rest of the gig perched on my amp and knocking down whisky for the pain.
  • With my fretting arm wrapped in bandages and superglued together after an encounter with a knife wielding mugger (Hey, it's Nottingham) a few days before. That one stung.

If this was a job I'd demand hazardous environment bonuses. Oh well.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I put a B string through my finger, mostly just the core, but up till it started to be the wound part.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
I had huge blisters...
when they popped...
playing was even more a hell than with the blisters

But I kept on playing with a lot of pain!

For after all... I've no life besides of bassing and computering

just kidding ofcourse :P
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by trevorjps
umm i play guitar ive made my fingers on my left hand bleed?

Great, your now an idiot for 2 reasons.

1) This is the bass forum, we don't care

2) This isn't a "worse injury with an instrument wins" thread, the guy is asking for help, stop being a dick
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
perhaps you dig in too much with your right hand when you play. i have had similar problems, because my bass teacher was a big jaco fan and subsequently taught me the joys of playing very hard near the bridge unless the song would sound awful with that style of playing. obviously this can be punishing on your fingers!
i used to find that i would always blister at gigs, no matter how much i'd practised, because i got nervous and played harder than i should have been. so i would say that before you pick up your bass, always make sure you are 100% relaxed, and make sure you pay proper attention to your right hand attack.
Quote by Zephyr-Chills
I've been playing bass for about a year and I have had my fair share of finger injuries but, this one is by far the worst. I have a giant blister on each of my plucking fingers that I just popped. (That little issue thus hinders me from playing with my fingers so I thought I would work on my pick skills.) So my question is Do you guys have any particularly bad finger injuries? Post pictures(so we can feel your pain) if you have them. Sorry I don't have any but, I assure you it looks disgusting.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Great, your now an idiot for 2 reasons.

1) This is the bass forum, we don't care

2) This isn't a "worse injury with an instrument wins" thread, the guy is asking for help, stop being a dick

do you not know how to read, what part of asking for pics of blisters is asking for help?
stupid
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA