I am looking for some new pickups to put in my PRS SE Custom. The pickups in it aren't hot enough for my style, however, pickups like the Dimarzio (pardon spelling) Super Distortion seem like they would be a little too hot for the small body on the guitar. I did some discussing with a friends dad and he recommended a Steve Vai humbucker from the eighties, however that pickup is no longer in production. Anyway, could anyone recommend a new set of passive humbuckers for me? I play metal/rock/blues and I want to be able to pull off jazz (not necessary though). I'm just looking for something a little hotter than the ones I have.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
In my opinion, it is best if you get an EMG 81/85 set, like what Zakk Wylde uses. If you put the 81 on the bridge position, and the 85 on the neck you'll sound awsome since you'll be able to play nice clean solos, but also crazy metal riffs. If you vist the EMG website, they have samples of what the pickups sound like. I hope this works for you. Cheers!
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Quote by FlyingV666
In my opinion, it is best if you get an EMG 81/85 set, like what Zakk Wylde uses. If you put the 81 on the bridge position, and the 85 on the neck you'll sound awsome since you'll be able to play nice clean solos, but also crazy metal riffs. If you vist the EMG website, they have samples of what the pickups sound like. I hope this works for you. Cheers!
Personally, I don't like the sound of EMGs. They sound way to artificial to me.
-Bugera 333XL 212
maybe some Dimarzios.
EVOs are great.
check out differetn ones.
duncan jb/59?
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by doctorcheeze200
maybe some Dimarzios.
EVOs are great.
check out differetn ones.
duncan jb/59?
I'll check some of those out, I just wish you could try pickups before you buy them...somehow.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by forsaknazrael
Be more specific. What do you feel is lacking about your pickups right now?

Do you want hotter pickups because you feel your current ones don't sound "beefy" enough?

Yes, we need more information, since this can probably be remedied by alternate and easier means, like tweaking your amp or guitar settings. EVen though SE guitars are low-range PRS guitars, they are sitll pretty well designed for a cheap guitar so I think the pickups should be fine. What amplifier do you have?

Still, if you want something hotter, try the Bill Lawrence website. Someone mentioned a SD JB/'59 combo which is always nice and hot. If you want to go the extra buck, go Barekncukle Nailbombs or the Paul Reed Smith HFS pickups (quite low output but very powerful). I personally agree with the guy that said he hated EMG's because they are very average and false like he said. To the guy who suggest EMG pickups, the TS said passive pickups.

Remember also, some of the most powerful and fattest tones, like the famous brown sond, were created with relatively low output pickups.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM