(Puts on flame suit)

I bought a Line 6 Spider III 75watt.

I'll be honest, the amp sounds fine to me. It's just that I hate/have no need for the song/artist presets, and you have to get a special line 6 foot pedal for it. Not to mention I really don't need the "Clean --> insane" settings... I can dial those in myself easily...

So yeah, that's why I'm ditching that amp. Now, about a new one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-65R-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481599

is what I had in mind. What do you think?

But, if you guys can think of an amp that's just as good around the same price, (300 is probably max), I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Quote by al112987
what styles do you play?

All forms of rock, light, hard, alternative, classic... That's really about it(for the most part).
Inb4

TOOOOOOB.

do it to it.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
look at a small tube amp, like 15w, 18w, 25w. you will eventually want to buy a tube amp, cause they sound alot better and you will get a better rock tone out of one too. if you didn't know tube amps sound way louder than a solidstate, so a 15watt would probly be good, maybe even to loud if you only play out home. i'm actually waiting for Blackheart's Handsome Devil to come out. its a sweet little amp you should check it out.
Quote by The_Quiet_Man
look at a small tube amp, like 15w, 18w, 25w. you will eventually want to buy a tube amp, cause they sound alot better and you will get a better rock tone out of one too. if you didn't know tube amps sound way louder than a solidstate, so a 15watt would probly be good, maybe even to loud if you only play out home.

I play with my friends frequently, it can get pretty loud, you know a rough watt conversion for tube to solid state? :P

Because I was looking for a solidstate around 60-75 Watts. How many watts on a tube amp would be equivalent to that you think?

edit: You also mention it has a great rock tone, is this to say it is not as good as a solid state for other genres of music?(Yes I know I stated above that I only play rock, but on occasion I'll fool around)
Thanks! =)
Last edited by negativnancy at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by The_Quiet_Man
look at a small tube amp, like 15w, 18w, 25w. you will eventually want to buy a tube amp, cause they sound alot better and you will get a better rock tone out of one too. if you didn't know tube amps sound way louder than a solidstate, so a 15watt would probly be good, maybe even to loud if you only play out home.

wrong wrong wrong wrong....wrong wrong wrong wrong...you're wrong...you're wrong..you're wrooonnnnnng.

/singing.

if at home, 5W will be PLENTY when cranked.

Tube doesn't sound better, it is better. Not solid state circuit, yet nautral distortion, clipping.

not rock tone, could be blues, jazz, metal, death, whatever the **** you want.

they only FEEL louder, not really louder in terms of decibels.

15 watts would be decent to get above a drummer,. that's plenty for at home. i say 5 watts all tube, unless you're gigging TS.

EDIT: at least 15 watts TS. Most likely more. but not like 100. im between there, check around stores, find maybe a class A/B
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Last edited by THE Saint Jimmy at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by The_Quiet_Man
look at a small tube amp, like 15w, 18w, 25w. you will eventually want to buy a tube amp, cause they sound alot better and you will get a better rock tone out of one too. if you didn't know tube amps sound way louder than a solidstate, so a 15watt would probly be good, maybe even to loud if you only play out home. i'm actually waiting for Blackheart's Handsome Devil to come out. its a sweet little amp you should check it out.

For 300$ he's not going to a very good (if any) 15w tube amp.

TS, do you really want it now? It really pays to wait. I suggest wait, save up and buy a cheap tube amp like a Laney VC15 (bad idea if you're in the US though), or a Fender Blues Jr. It really is no use wasting the saved up 300$ on yet another sold state. Elaborate more on your position and maybe I can help.

EDIT:wrong wrong wrong wrong....wrong wrong wrong wrong...you're wrong...you're wrong..you're wrooonnnnnng.

/singing.

if at home, 5W will be PLENTY when cranked.

Tube doesn't sound better, it is better. Not solid state circuit, yet nautral distortion, clipping.

not rock tone, could be blues, jazz, metal, death, whatever the **** you want.

they only FEEL louder, not really louder in terms of decibels.

15 watts would be decent to get above a drummer,. that's plenty for at home. i say 5 watts all tube, unless you're gigging TS.

Uh, no. Not if he's gonna be playing any clean whatsoever.
To the bit I bolded, NO. A 5W tuber will not do death or any form of metal. A 5W all tube might be a good idea, but only if you're in a tearing hurry TS, and you want an amp NOW. Otherwise, save up and buy a 15W.

TS, where do you live? And how much more money can you muster up in the time you are willing to wait?
Last edited by akack at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by akack
For 300$ he's not going to a very good (if any) 15w tube amp.

TS, do you really want it now? It really pays to wait. I suggest wait, save up and buy a cheap tube amp like a Laney VC15 (bad idea if you're in the US though), or a Fender Blues Jr. It really is no use wasting the saved up 300$ on yet another sold state. Elaborate more on your position and maybe I can help.

I'm in the US, why would that be a bad idea? =P.

No, there's no rush to get an amp for me. And my money pool is growing.

I don't gig, yet. But the plan is to eventually. Right now I just jam with my friends, pretty loud too.
no, put any pedal in front of the thing, and i KNOW i could easily achieve metal. Metal =/= loud.

like my edit, i say at least 15 watts all tube. or class A/B.
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by negativnancy
I'm in the US, why would that be a bad idea? =P.

No, there's no rush to get an amp for me. And my money pool is growing.

I don't gig, yet. But the plan is to eventually. Right now I just jam with my friends, pretty loud too.

In the US, Laney's are notoriously costly and really beat the purpose. I have the same situation too, and IMO a 15W should be enough if you're just planning still. Later you can mic it or PA it or whatever. A 15W should have enough headroom for a small gig (pub size) anyway. How much money can you build up in the time you're willing to wait. Maybe we can help you plan something that way.
Why do people insist that tube amps are louder than solid state amps, they are not. The only difference is that when tube amps start clipping, it sounds good, but when solid state amps start clipping it sounds bad. Thus you can turn a tube amp to 10 and it will sound good whereas a solid state amp will sound like its dying. They are NOT louder volume wise.
i agree with akack there. wait, save up. look used also, it's the same thing. goggle class A/B amps.
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
no, put any pedal in front of the thing, and i KNOW i could easily achieve metal. Metal =/= loud.

like my edit, i say at least 15 watts all tube. or class A/B.

IMO, it's not worth it for TS to a buy a small tube with negligible headroom (no pedal can bring headroom ) and stick a pedal in front of it when he can put that money toward a better amp.

Quote by al112987
Why do people insist that tube amps are louder than solid state amps, they are not. The only difference is that when tube amps start clipping, it sounds good, but when solid state amps start clipping it sounds bad. Thus you can turn a tube amp to 10 and it will sound good whereas a solid state amp will sound like its dying. They are NOT louder volume wise.

We know they aren't louder. Atleast I, and hopefully TS do. That's not the only difference though. Sound quality itself is a massive jump. A low volume clean tube will still sound better than a low volume equal wattage SS.
The max volume I would ever need... for a very long time.. would be enough so everyone in a average-sized gymnasium could hear(School talent shows, battle of the bands, gigs, etc.)

So I don't know, is getting a tube amp with that power feasible for me? I've been playing guitar for about 2 years. I play about an hour a day on average. Obviously alot more if I'm jamming with friends.
Last edited by negativnancy at Jul 29, 2008,
Quote by akack
15W is enough. Not more, definitely not less. You ever going to give us a money figure so we can finish off this thread?

Yeah, 300 is the max I want to spend.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Skip the Frontman. It's not an upgrade from your Spider.

Name a couple of bands you'd want to sound like.

Bruce Springsteen
White Stripes
Foo Fighters
Eric Clapton
Weezer
Led Zeppelin
^Way out of his budget.

Well, aside from Springsteen and Foo Fighters (who have a fairly "American" sound to their guitar tone), those artists sound pretty "British" to me. White Stripes and Weezer are a bit on the Fence. Jack White uses random Silvertones and Ampegs, and Rivers Cuomo uses Marshalls, but it's kinda generically dialed in.

At your price level, there's not much going on.
Save up a bit more, look into a Line 6 Flextone II or III, and look for a used model, to save some bucks.
There's also the Vox AD50VT, that'll do nicely.

As far as tube amps go, your best bet would either be a Traynor YCV40WR or a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Both amps are on the used market for around 400-500 bucks.
The YCV40 is more "American" and the YCV50 is pretty "British".
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I know, you get ripped with Orange stuff...well we get ripped, but you get ripped more

Well, good thing we aren't in Australia... Those poor bastards get sodomized. I still think a V18-112 or 212 would be good for the music he plays, especially for a new amp. But on Craigslist he can do better with a Classic 30 from time to time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
here this is the amp im gonna get when it comes out in like 2 months the head version is $300 and the combo is $400 it is a 15watt tube amp that is switchable to a 7watt mode too. im gonna get the combo version. Blackheat Handsome Devil