Hi.

I'm looking to get rid of the constant hiss of gain. Both of my guitars are shielded very well by me. as far as i know, there are no breaks in my cables, nor ground loops. The wiring in my house is VERY old, and noisy, like when i leave a cable unplugged, then plug into a guitar with the amp on, it sounds like a gunshot. That isn't right. My chassis on my amp/transformer is properly grounded by me. I have a Fender Roc Pro 700 amp. Tube Driven with a 12AX7.

I don't usually use pedal effects either.

i was thinking this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Power-PowerCenter-PRO-200?sku=180018

OR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-Hum-X-Hum-Exterminator?sku=150452

that could buffer the power going to my amp, and clean it up a bit. would this take a little edge off the noise of gain, you think?

or perhaps, if there is a fault in any grounds, could i run this in my chain to the amp to clean it up?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ebtech-2Channel-Hum-Eliminator?sku=150450

what do you all think, have any opinions?

(greetings from GB&C) =]
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
the pop when you plug your cable in always happens, it happens to everyone, and it means that you shouldnt do it cause it can damage your equipment, try using just a plain outlet splitter that should take it out if the hum is coming from the outlet
Gear:
Schecter Omen-6 with EMG 81/85
Peavey Valveking 2x12
Quote by dubes216
good place to look ---> http://www.google.com
no worries.
dont unplug/plung your guitar in with the amo on.
it can possibly damage the amp.
not to mention your ears.

get a power strip.
it will cancel the hum (most) and it has a built in fuse, so it better for your amp as well
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
no, it isn't a 'pop' is it a GUNSHOT sound. I build damn amps, i know what it is. It's bad power/wiring.

pop used to happen with my little solid state practice amp...but with more watts, its rediculously loud gunshot on a little past zero setting. it shouldn't damage equipment either, cables don't carry 120 vac power.

anyone have anything to comment about the issue at hand?

EDIT: It's already plugged into a powerstrip
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Last edited by THE Saint Jimmy at Jul 29, 2008,
when u plug / unplug a guitar when the amp is on the gunshot noise is telling u **** ME TUNR THE AMP of .. if the amp is up loud enough it could blow ur speakers

as for those humming sounds, just turn ur body in a 360 degrees slowly until the hum dies down

no need to waste money there
my amp is only a little past 0..that isn't loud at all, tube doesn't even kick in...I know it's bad wirring, the house is like 80 years old.

I have shielded my guitar perfectly well, doesn't matter if i put the thing right in front of my amp, it doesn't make it much better or worse.
Quote by Invader Jim
Im living in a house with 2 conductor cloth covered wires and dont have any "gunshot" loud noises from my amp. Hiss and gain are just something that go together. I have shielded guitars with star grounds, using mogami and goergeL cables. But still have some hiss when the lead channel is on. Maybe you need to fix just the outlet your running your amp on with modern wire thats properly grounded. Trying to get all the noise out of 80 year old house wiring that doesnt have a proper ground will get you no where.
Yeah I've got the two conductor wiring running all over my house. cloth covered too Thank you sir, i thought this was the problem, you aways seem to give the most sensible answers around here.

instead of "Don't PLgu urr cable iN The WaAlL:"

or stupid **** like that. you get me.

I'll do some research, but chances are, I won't be allowed to do it myself, although i could. And i doubt my parents want to spend money on an electrician. **** it.

thanks everyone.
Quote by Invader Jim