a guy who usually seems to know his stuff suggested i get a compression sustainer and an equalizer so i can tighten up the voice of my pretty vintage voiced amp (orange AD30).

any suggestions?

i'm sure either would work fine for what you're trying to do...i'd probably suggest the equalizer over the comp/sust pedal though or go for broke and get them both just in case.
do this... ibanez tube screamer. nothing else....if your recording..just eq your guitar after you record so you can go back and change it. seriosly though...just a simple tube screamer will tighten up your sound..
Well, a Tubescreamer would tighten up your tone a bit, as well as round it off. What styles do you play?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp