http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878002&type=product&id=1210379087572

I can't afford Laptops that cost more than $500 as I've got about $6,000 to pay in tuition. Therefore, I've been looking into the Dell Outlet store and I'm waiting for something in my price range. However, this is $500 brand new.

So a few details. I'm an English-ish major(three writing classes out of 5) I'll be riding a bus for 2 hours to and from school each day, I've been through 3 30 gig mp3 players since December, I don't plan on gaming ever, nor burn DVDs, and most importantly, I get a 12% discount as a university student(that still puts Macs at around a thousand in case you were wondering.)
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
That thing is crap, but if you only need it for like the internet and word processing i say go for it.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Processor is weak...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Munchlaxatives
Ooh, thanks. I have no idea what a Processor does. All I know is to stay away from Celeron.

The processor is the brains of your computer and processes data into useful information. If you get a retarded processor, you get a retarded computer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
The processor is the brains of your computer and processes data into useful information. If you get a retarded processor, you get a retarded computer.

What's a good one to look for? Is Toshiba any good?
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Yeah thats fine. It's way better than mine, which admittedly is 2 years old, and I use it for the same stuff as you will.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Munchlaxatives

Toshiba doesn't make processors. Companies like Sony, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc really only serve as a medium of assembling computers. The actual components that go into a computer are made by specialized companies.

The two top processor manufacturers are Intel and AMD. Intel's current medium-end line is the Core 2 Duo and AMD's is the Athlon 64.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Munchlaxatives

i don't think you're getting it. there are two different processor brands available to the consumer. one is intel and the other is AMD. they both have what you can call a ladder for processors. for intel, the worst to the best would be:

celeron > pentium > core 2 (or centrino)

for AMD:

sempron > athlon > turion

right now, the intel processors are completely out performing the AMD processors. at least the core 2 processors are.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Toshiba doesn't make processors. Companies like Sony, Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc really only serve as a medium of assembling computers. The actual components that go into a computer are made by specialized companies.

The two top processor manufacturers are Intel and AMD. Intel's current medium-end line is the Core 2 Duo and AMD's is the Athlon 64.

I meant the laptops, they're the cheapest ones I'd buy from Best Buy. Acer, Gateway, and Compaq just don't seem reliable to me.

Jeff

Quote by Munchlaxatives
I meant the laptops, they're the cheapest ones I'd buy from Best Buy. Acer, Gateway, and Compaq just don't seem reliable to me.

HP seems to be pretty good these days. Buy from a store that specializes in computers, such as www.newegg.com. They don't rip you off as much as Best Buy or other general electronic stores.

Quote by paintITblack39

right now, the intel processors are completely out performing the AMD processors. at least the core 2 processors are.

Isn't the Phenom better than Core 2 Duos?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by paintITblack39
i don't think you're getting it. there are two different processor brands available to the consumer. one is intel and the other is AMD. they both have what you can call a ladder for processors. for intel, the worst to the best would be:

celeron > pentium > core 2 (or centrino)

for AMD:

sempron > athlon > turion

I get it, I just don't know much about them. I guess I'd be better off with a middle of the line one. The most advanced program I'd use is Guitar Pro, or maybe Photoshop if I have to minor in photography for my journalism degree.

Jeff

I was thinking about getting this laptop too. How would it stand up to using photoshop?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
I was thinking about getting this laptop too. How would it stand up to using photoshop?

Probably laggy. It will run Vista on a Core (not Core 2) cpu.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by clincher09

Should be fine.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .