So I was listening to some shuffled stuff on my mp3 player, first song was Gardenia by Kyuss, then Sucking my love by Diamond Head.

And it hit me...
Diamond Head really sounds like the beginning of stoner rock, in the same way Led Zep and Deep Purple are widely recognized as the beginning of hard rock.

I know Diamond Head isn't that famous of a band, but I listen to them quite alot and love them, awesomely catchy riffs that have you inevitably nodding your head along with the music. And listening to some of their stuff really gives me that stoner rock feeling.

Any takes on this? Would be interesting to discuss, especially with someone who really knows stoner rock (I barely do).
Quote by Mazujev
No...

Jimi Hendrix.

No...

Drugs.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Whoa man I love Diamond Head.
Where did you find their album?

And they aren't really stoner rock at all, listen to more songs (like The Prince or Dead Reconing). They are the definition of NWOBHM, and they are definitely metal.

But I really don't know what stoner rock is either. I just know that Diamond Head is way more metal than Kyuss.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
But yeah, I think Jimi Hendrix is the beginning of stoner rock, Jimi Hendrix is all I listen to when Im stoned, sometimes Bob Marley or Tool or something too, but mainly, its Jimi. And Jimi was before Diamond Head ( I think Diamond Head formed in 1976 while Jimi died in 1970) so I would say its Jimi Hendrix
Stoner rock, maybe, but Black Sabbath will always be the original Stoner METAL/doom metal band to me. Honestly, Sweet Leaf is pretty much the definition of stoner metal. :P
Yeah, for Metal I also think Black Sabbath is the BEGINNING, but I dont listen to them that much, like I said before, TOOL is more my thing, and Jimi surely is the beginning of Stoner Rock... ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?
I actually disagree about the whole Jimi thing being stoner rock. His music is much too bluesy and melodic to be stoner rock imo. I think you're just saying that because he was a stoner :P

But yeah, the part about Sabbath perhaps being more of the beginning of what would become stoner rock makes sense.

And jthm_guitarist, I know Diamond Head have loads of songs that aren't "stoney" whatsoever, but I think a couple of them are, that's why I wanted to discuss this
So far, only 1 person has given the impression that he knows what the hell he is talking about, and knows what the hell stoner rock/metal is.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Heh, no kidding...Do you have an opinion on this dead-fish?
Opinion? My opinion is fact. Fact: Diamond Head got nothing to do with stoner metal.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.