Original question answered, Now I need help eliminating the buzz

// Original question
I'm using this diagram: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w

But it shows a Gibson style selector. I don't know exactly how a fender 3 way is supposed to be wired. Here is a picture of what my fender 3 way switch look like:

It has 4 metal things (sorry i don't know the correct terminology) on both sides. And there is one that is always touching regardless of what position the siwtch is at.

So if anyone has a good diagram, or can explains this I would appreciate.
/////
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Last edited by vizun at Jul 29, 2008,
Awesome, that helped a lot. I finished wiring it up and tested it out.

The bridge pickup works, but there is a buzz.
The neck pickup does not work, and there is a loud buzz.

I'm done for tonight, i'll work on this some more tomorrow, and i'll post pictures so you guys can help me get rid of the buzz, and get this stuff working.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
I can't help with wiring. Ask SomeoneYouKnew, he helped me a lot with my guitar.

Also, the metal tabs are called Lugs. Good luck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Have you wired it up as per the diagrams exactly??

Are you sure you have the ground/live wires around the right way?
I'm pretty sure. It was late last night when i finished, and I'm working right now so I haven't had much of a chance to go back over it.

But, I do have one problem. My neck pup is a SD 59 custom, and it's a single conductor pickup. Meaning the wire coming from it is a braided wire (the ground) and just one wire inside. I was a little unsure how to do that. It said to directly solder the braiding to the vol pot (or any ground), but I had trouble with this, I just did not want to stick. I was also having trougble getting solder to stick to the top of the pots.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Scratch the top of the pots up a bit first, that'll help the solder to stick.

If the neck pup doesn't work, it's probably had the ground fall off the pot. While you are checking that, check you don't have the output jack wired backwards
if i had the output jack wired backwards would it work at all? I assume you mean have the ground and the hot output backwards.

What I ended up doing was just soldering a wire from the braided wire (just on the metal braiding) to the vol put (ground). And I don't have the pickguard attached or anything i'm justnow putting this together, so the ground didn't come loose.

Can I do it like that though? Solder a wire from the braiding to the vol ground, or do i have to solder the braiding directly for it to work?

Also, I just have the ground from the bridge is just taped to the bridge. I'm returning that bridge because i got a different one, so I don't want to solder the wire to it. But that shoudl work just fine, it's definitely making contact with it, so does that work?

And one last thing, could part of the hum be coming from the fact that i didn't the pickguard all the way down onto the body and that the body cavity isn't shielded?
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
H'ok so here's a picture. It's a bad quality picture, and you probably can't tell anything from it, but I will try and get a better quality one later. This is just incase yall see something that i have just done terribly wrong. This is my frist time wiring a guitar, so I don't really know what i'm doing

.. Picture Removed ..
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Last edited by vizun at Jul 30, 2008,
Ok, I got both pickups working! Awesome. Now there is a little buzz when there is sound, but it's quiet when no sound, so that's a lot better than yesterday when there was buzzing allways.

So what can I do about the buzzing / what do I need to check to eliminate the buzzing? There is one layer of shielding tape that is on he back of the pickguard, but it doesn't quite cover teh whole pickguard. And there is no shielding in the cavity. When i'm testing this i'm just setting the pickguard (loaded) on top of the body and just playing on my ohter guitar and holding it really close. The pickguard isn't flush with the body, it's sticking up like an inch, so it's not sealed (I have to put all the wires in the right place so it'll go down.

So, what do I need to do to eliminate the buzzing?
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH