So i've been playing for two years now. I'm mostly learning Iron maiden and Judas priest. My family keeps asking me to play something but i don't know any full songs, and I felt really discouraged. I mean i can do 3-4 string sweeps pretty well, i improvise a lot from what i have learned from these two bands, and becoming a legato user. I tell them that I'm working hard, because when i started playing. I got the basics down, and jumped straight into Maiden and now priest also. I could play easier songs, but i love to practice and practice harder stuff so i can play and improvise better in the future. Is this ok for 2 years? or should i push more...! thanks
LOL
i got the same problem

just play what you want so you can actually enjoy playing guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwoods
Rudd is a moron. All the people who voted for him cost us the best thing that ever happened to Australia.

...so HE killed Steve Irwin???
try some scales and dont just switch to iron maiden, try something like metallica...
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Make your own song and show it to your family, they'll be more impressed when they ask who its by, and you say you made it yourself :P
well you should jus nail an easier song like "breaking the law" and play ir for them you seemed to havethe kind of family who supports music so just plan easy song for them maybe sweet child of mine so they can see you made some progress and can pull of a compleat song this will also encourge you to play a littel bit more and you will enjoy it too! this is the main reasone of bying any musical instrument to have fun and rock and roll a bit
I know what you mean aswell. I think as myself as a alright guitarist with alot to learn but I was playing Floyds wish you were here and everyone was asking me to play greenday so I played brain stew but afterwords they kept asking me to play alot of pop punk/pop rock music and they didint think I knew how to play guitar... It makes me angered that just because you dont know a song people may look at you like you dont know how to play when you can tare it up with your own stuff from what TS said he seems like he knows his way around the guitar and thats not good enough.

So yes its good for 2 years.
But always push your self on guitar.
Not for others for yourself. Its not meant to make people hear stairway from every guitarist lol.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
well i thinks thats good u dont need to learn millians of songs when ur in a concert perfoming ur own stuff the audiance wouldnt judge u on the amount of covers u can do but more on actully ur own songs
Playing other people's songs is the easy part of playing guitar.

Being able to improvise and compose is slightly harder. I'd say you're doing alright

Also, don't be discouraged. Non-musical people will always rate your ability on how well you can play random popular songs by request. But just bare in mind that they don't really understand what goes in to playing the instrument, so their judgement is void
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I'd say you learn some solos and riffs, not necessarily whole songs. If someone asks you to play something just pull out a solo.

Keep at what you are learning now because you can get songs down easier than expected just as long as you consistantly practice.
Buckcherry - Lit Up, is a fun song to learn. Not too hard, and it has three increasingly difficult solos, so it's a good one to work up to. If your messing around with Maiden this should be easy. Have fun with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks guys, the reason I'm not learning whole songs is because i like to take the harder parts and learn from that. I mean i could just play whatever in front of them, some scales and turn it into some fast solo's but you know...I've been working to learn Alexander the great and Caught somewhere in time and by priest I've been trying to learn one shot of glory. I'm also trying to learn basic finger picking before my school starts. Thanks for your answer guys!
LOL
Learning other people's material is a valuable exercise, and after all, the whole point of playing the guitar is to play songs. Exercises are just a means to an end, not the goal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree as soon as i got my guitar home after a few months of having it at uni my brother was like play some pink floyd, play some cky..... im like i dont know them. And he just assumes that i cant play because i dont know songs, but im actually getting quite good at chord changes and improvising in scales (im mainly learning Am pentatonic) I enjoy playing and learning new little things so i aint too bothered about what they want me to learn. My brother is getting a guitar soon (says its nothing to do with me getting one lol) so i hope he then realizes that learning a whole song can actually be very boring and its much more fun to learn how to play and make up your own tunes.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Playing other people's songs is the easy part of playing guitar.

Being able to improvise and compose is slightly harder. I'd say you're doing alright

Also, don't be discouraged. Non-musical people will always rate your ability on how well you can play random popular songs by request. But just bare in mind that they don't really understand what goes in to playing the instrument, so their judgement is void

+92382938232392323983498544594765489545995845495457326472323423423424.9349234872934
oh yes
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
personally, I think its a good idea to learn whole songs....first, because when you do join a band, youre expected to play songs perfectly for however long it is. So if youre not used to playin 6 minutes straight without making a mistake, then you may have trouble. I agree, Lit up by Buckcherry is a good idea. I also think you should be able to play some songs for people, maybe even sing some (doesnt have to be good), to entertain people around you...its fun.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by 1232
i got the same problem

just play what you want so you can actually enjoy playing guitar

We have a winner.

There's not really a reason to learn an entire song unless you're playing with a whole band. Just learn what you want and be happy.

I honestly can only play a few songs all the way through, but I can play hundreds on bass. I don't know why it's so different but it is.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Have you tried playing over a backing track of yours favorite songs? That hell of a fun. Even more when you're recording it and later listen it.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Do what makes you happy, end of thread. What makes me happy is learning full songs and playing them in front of people. But if what makes you happy is practicing difficult **** and improv, then by all means, do it.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert