Is it any good?

I played it with an rbx-775 in the store,
but the mid strings were dull on it,
b-e-g sounded killer though.
When I flicked a switch on the bass, the mids were good and the e and b were dull.

The guy in the store said I should bring my own bass next time
Which will sound much better (he blamed the rbx).

Another 5-string sounded average on all strings except for the G.
But that might be because it's a metal amp and it was a jazz-bass (no I'm not talking about the pickups).

I am an amp noob, so can you guys please give me other suggestions in the same price range (180-220 euro's) + tell me if the amp is any good.

ty DVI
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

The guy in the store said I should bring my own bass next time
Which will sound much better (he blamed the rbx).

But that might be because it's a metal amp and it was a jazz-bass (no I'm not talking about the pickups).

#1 - Yes, bring your own bass. But the store guy was a jackass. Nothing at ALL wrong with the RBX775's.

#2 - It isn't a metal amp. It's an amp. Whether it's metal or not depends on you. You control the amp, you control the bass, and everything in between. Set it right and it can do any genre whatsoever. Same with almost any amp.

Take your own bass in and see how it sounds. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

And as for recommendations, I recommend you save your cash and/or look in the used market. I bet you can find a used Ashdown MAG or something for around the €250-300 mark.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
its pretty good, i actually quite like the sounds from the smaller ashdowns, but then they are both still great
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
If I were you, about to dish out a lot of money on a new amp, I'd get something better than what I think I need.

I have an ashdown abm evo II 900 amplifier, which as far as I know is the "flagship" amp for the ashdown line, and I found a terrific price for it on zzounds.com ala scratch and dent sale. A $1500 amp knocked down to $800 because of "cosmetic flaws". Then the warehouse screwed up and sent me a brand new amp but only charged me for the scratch and dent one, so I got a brand new ashdown for like $700 less than I should have.

I can attest that the tones you can get with that amp are going to almost all warm sounding. The two basses I've managed to play through it are my warwick streamer standard and my american p-bass, and it sounds fantastic with both. Its got a lone tube built in for overdrive, which is whats up if you're trying to do scorching bass solos.

But no seriously, just save your money. You'll be soooo much happier that you just waited and got a legit, professional amplifier, rather than spending a so-so chunk of change every 3 or 4 years.

Thats what I think, at least.
FOR IRE
Quote by Tabula_Rasa
If I were you, about to dish out a lot of money on a new amp, I'd get something better than what I think I need.

I have an ashdown abm evo II 900 amplifier, which as far as I know is the "flagship" amp for the ashdown line, and I found a terrific price for it on zzounds.com ala scratch and dent sale. A $1500 amp knocked down to $800 because of "cosmetic flaws". Then the warehouse screwed up and sent me a brand new amp but only charged me for the scratch and dent one, so I got a brand new ashdown for like $700 less than I should have.

I can attest that the tones you can get with that amp are going to almost all warm sounding. The two basses I've managed to play through it are my warwick streamer standard and my american p-bass, and it sounds fantastic with both. Its got a lone tube built in for overdrive, which is whats up if you're trying to do scorching bass solos.

But no seriously, just save your money. You'll be soooo much happier that you just waited and got a legit, professional amplifier, rather than spending a so-so chunk of change every 3 or 4 years.

Thats what I think, at least.

I only use it for practising, don't need a 500 euro's amp...

wanna save some money for college next year etc.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I only use it for practising, don't need a 500 euro's amp...

wanna save some money for college next year etc.

Then I wouldn't be even bothering with ashdown, to be honest. They're a bit on the expensive side to be used exclusively as "practice" amps.
FOR IRE
Quote by Tabula_Rasa
Then I wouldn't be even bothering with ashdown, to be honest. They're a bit on the expensive side to be used exclusively as "practice" amps.

200 euro's... new the five fifteen

Here it is cheaper than in hthe US apparently,
+ I am a loyal costumer of that store
(we have probably spend more then 2500 euro's on guitars, strings etc there), that I can get a nice discount.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ