My band are recording a demo and want you use sound clips of the september 11 new footage, are we aloud to do this legally?

The demo will not be for sale it will be given away at gigs and to various people so its not like wed be making a profit.

alternativlely could we record people pretending to be news presenters reporting on the news about the bombings and use those instead?
It's probably illegal but not enough to have any action taken against you. Look at the amount of obvious song stealing that goes on in rap. You can steal as much music as you want as long as you say it's "sampling". Stealing news clips would be less drastic than music IMO.
I doubt it would be THAT illegal just incredibly innapropriate (sp?)
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
Even if it is, it really shouldn't matter for a demo.

So long as you aren't making money from it it tends to be allowed. At least, I still haven't been sued for shamelessly ripping 1984 in one of my songs.
Quote by The_0thersid3
My band are recording a demo and want you use sound clips of the september 11 news footage, are we aloud to do this legally?

It's been done.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by GerGuam
It's probably illegal but not enough to have any action taken against you. Look at the amount of obvious song stealing that goes on in rap. You can steal as much music as you want as long as you say it's "sampling". Stealing news clips would be less drastic than music IMO.

You are aware that they have to get permission from the artist or the artists label before they can release anything, ANYTHING, commercially containing a sample from another artist?

Same for news clips. If you're just some kid posting it on a MySpace page, whatever, go nuts. If you ever plan on selling this stuff, you'll have to find out who the copyright holder for that particular piece of media is and get permission.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Lots of bands use sampling, such as Carcass and The Berzerker using Pathologist reports and stuff, I doubt they'll pay for them.
RULE BRITANNIA