Hey,

I have a Peavey Valveking 112 and the other week there I was playing away as normal and then the sound/tone went really crappy low and **** then it just made a pop and stopped working, I could instantly smell smoke so I turned it off.

Ever since the thing wont even power on, ive tried changing the power lead on it incase it was that but still no luck.

I've been told 99% chance is that the valve tube has went on it and you would need to replace it.

Now I dont know anything really about tubes but ive been told the best for my music style and gear is the A7S or something like that.

I have a Schecter guitar with EMG 81 and 85's in it and also I play Metal and Rock like BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Maiden etc.

So what I need to know is:

1) What is the best tube to replace in my Peavey Valveking 112?
2) Where can you buy them in the UK?
3) Is it something I could change myself or is it really complicated?

Thanks,

Rowan
Whoever told you that "it's the tube" doesn't know what they're talking about, your amp probably has about 6 tubes in it, not 1.

It's possible a tube has gone, but it's more likely going to be that one of the components on the PCB has failed. It could also be something as simple as a blown fuse or it could be something horrendous like the output transformer blowing.

In short, unless you're a qualified electronic engineer take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How much would it cost you to check the fuse? If it doesn't even power on, it's most likely a fuse. Don't waste money getting it serviced, you could do it yourself for free.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
On the mains power plug on the amp, there should be a little compartment underneath or a separate fuse holder. Pop it open with a screwdriver and see if it's blown. As i've found with most amps, they actually have a spare in the holder anyway, so just switch them around and you're sorted.
OK ill take a picture of it and upload for your viewing, if its that that has blown then how much are the fuses?
Well like I say the fuse holder itself can contain a fuse and a spare so there's every chance you won't even need to buy one anyway. If you do, they're like 10p each. If you replace it and it continues not to work/blows again, then you know it's a more serious internal issue and will need servicing.
Ok heres a picture of the back of my Valveking, what section should I open, and what do I do then...

.... btw thanks for your help so far

The bit that says 'Fuse' looks like a good bet. There might not be a spare in that type of holder but you can still see if it's blown. Post a picture if you're unsure. They're meant to be clear. If it's clearly all broken and blackened then...
Yeh the bit that says fuse, where do I unscrew, is it just the little flat screw bit or do i need to take it all out etc?

Just need guidance on what im unscrewing etc lol..
OK I got this out I take it this is the fuse...

Does that look blown? If not then I take it it will need to be serviced.

If yes, where can I buy these in places like B&Q etc? What kind do I need?

UPDATE!!

I just looked inside the little tube, the wire is snapped, i take it thats a blown fuse?

Around it says F2AL250VP

So is that a size 2A and 250Volt
Last edited by .Rowan at Jul 29, 2008,
If the wire is visibly snapped then it's blown.

Umm.... You could buy 'em from Maplins? Maybe Wilkinsons would have 'em. May as well get a whole load of them.
Lol yeh only place so far ive seen is Maplins, but looking for somewhere a bit closer lol.

Yes you can physically see that the little hair strand inside is in 2 lol.

This should work man thanks for all your help you some guy

If it works then pops again like within a week or a month, is it worth taking into service?

I have a PODxt Live going through it , could that be the cause?

Its like this:

VK112 Input >>>>>> OUTPUT (Right)(Podxt) (>>>> is the wire)
INPUT (PodXt) >>>>> SCHECTER GUITAR

Is that setup right?

And is this the thing I should get from Maplins : (20mm A/S 2A 10 PK)
Last edited by .Rowan at Jul 29, 2008,
if it went pop and you could smell smoke then changing the fuse won't fix it, even if the fuse is blown.

unless you know what you are doing dont poke around in the back, there are some very high voltages which can be present even when the amp is switched off and unplugged (the capacitors hold a charge for hours or even days).
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Btw is it just a 2A fuse I need or does it need to definetly be 250V aswell...

Only place I can see that does them is Maplins, anyone know any other stores?
Maplins is the best bet, also make sure you get a "T" or time delay fuse - ask them for a

T 2A 250v fuse

If you get a quick blow one it'll do just that, blow quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

****!!

I just bought quick blow ones from eBay ... ill contact the guy and ask to change my order...
Maplins shall definately sell them. If your going in store, then take the original one with you, and make sure you get the correct value from the store. they have a reputation for getting the values wrong for componants like that.

Also, where about in glasgow are you? just an area will do, and I'll let you know if theres anything nearby. If you happen to be near any rehearsal studios or music shops, then they will most likely be able to help you out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Yup, those are the ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I should also have said that (in my experience of marshalls, no experience with valvekings) a burning smell usually screams transformer gone. Did it make any other noises apart from the pop?

also, from that pic above, the valves look fine. (from what i can see of them) of course, sometimes they fail without any visible signs, but frequently they get blackening/burnt on the inside of the glass. Cant see the ends of the valves because of the guard thats over them, but if the ends are white instead of silver, then the glass has cracked and they need replaced.

A mains power fuse blowing can be casued by something as simple as a one off power surge, or by something more complicated like a failing transformer or other componants so a simple replacing of the fuse may be all it takes to get it working again, or it might require more. either way, your going to have to replace that fuse at some point.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I dont honestly remember it to be honest but I just remember the sound kinda half died, then it fully died. So I went to turn it off and as I was over there I could smell some smoke, not alot or not seeing anything just smell burning.

Ive got a refund of the quick blow ones and ive purchased the ones from Maplins so when they arrive ill just give them a go and hopefully it will fix it.

If not then ill take it to a guitarshop for servicing.
cool. id recommend strung out guitars just behind the st enoch centre in the city centre. Not entierly sure if they still have the repair guy in store, but they'd certainly know who to contact. They've always been fair and well priced in my experience.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Well I got the Peavey from GuitarGuitar in the trongate area so I might take it to them but ill give your one a go aswell..

Have you been to the new Reverb store were SoundControl was?
yeah. I wasnt impressed. I was one of the few who got on with the guys from soundcontrol because we used to do business through work, but its really gone downhill. They had hardly any stock when I ws in the other day, and what they did have was mostly cheap plywood and marshall mg's and line 6 spiders. I walked out after I was asked for about the 5th time in less than 10 minutes if I needed any help.

They used to have the best repair man ever (jimmy egypt I think), but he's gone now.
Quote by Dave_Mc

It was Richard I used to speak to all the time, he sold me my baby Schecter

Btw the fuses just came in the mail there, fired one in and my amp is working again! WOOHOO!!

Now back to PROPER METAL TONES!!! lol

Speaking of which, does anyone know any good sites that give you good PODxt Live settings for different bands etc?

Im still learning it and I can get one like BFMV, crunchy lead distortion, but the higher notes sound too bright etc.
Quote by AndyPandy
yeah. I wasnt impressed. I was one of the few who got on with the guys from soundcontrol because we used to do business through work, but its really gone downhill. They had hardly any stock when I ws in the other day, and what they did have was mostly cheap plywood and marshall mg's and line 6 spiders. I walked out after I was asked for about the 5th time in less than 10 minutes if I needed any help.

They used to have the best repair man ever (jimmy egypt I think), but he's gone now.

can't see what's wrong with a bit of attention. the wankers at sound control in leicester all hang around nattering to each other, if you do want some service they come on like they are doing you a big favour by bothering to talk to you.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix