Hey guys i want to get some decent results with some cheap gear. So basically i want to record from the amp into the computer through a mic.

i got a supercheapo chinese dynamic mic recording into audacity and it sounds terrible. i don't know if it's the mic or audacity that's causing the poor quality.

should i try recording with adobe audition?

someone please help

cheers!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
the poor quality is from a poor quality sound card, And partly from your cheap mic...
I suggest getting yourself an audio interface.

The Line6 Toneport GX with an XLR-TRS adapter will work but I suggest going for the M-Audio Fast Track USB if you have a little extra cash set aside.

In the recording field, Crap in = Crap out
Dont cheap out, save your money and get fair gear from the start. You'll save money overall doing this.
Well, if you don't need more than one microphone, a good USB microphone could do the trick. Blue's Snowball and Samson's CO3U are good choices. I've suggested the latter here, since its pad should help accommodate louder sources like guitar amps, and you can listen to the results.

Of course, if you plan on using more than one microphone, an interface like the Art Dual Pre is a must for simplicity's sake. Then look into SM57s, the normal CO3, or e609s.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
my friend recommended me a behringer xenyx mixer. will that do the job?

i just wanna record some stuff for youtube and seldomly do some pro recording for the band.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Mixers, unless they have a USB or Firewire output, will do jack to improve sound quality, as it ultimately depends on whatever they plug into. Save your money, and decide whether you need more than one microphone at a time. If not, get a nice USB one. If so, interface.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
i'll need only one mic, so if i get a usb mic, i just plug it into the computer via USB and record using audacity?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer