Hi again,

This post maybe more useful to n00bs, but could also be beneficial to someone who's been playing a while but doesn't use this technique very often.

I don't see too much talk about playing counrty music on MT, I realise there's another forum for it, plus I don't really see it as an advanced technique, but wanted to share it with the MT reg's, and for anyone who wants to add something a little different to their playing. Moreover, it'll do your hybrid picking some good.

A quick note on hybrid picking.

As we're jumping strings, you should still hold the pick as normal, but keep another finger (I use the middle) free to sound the other string. Do this by plucking the string from underneath, it'll give more of a snap to the note depending on how aggressive.

So I was messing around last night with this technique and some sixths, essentially it's a bit like an intervallic pattern, ascending and descending in sixths.

Let's take an example using the G major scale

------------------------------------------------3-----------7---7-s-5--
-------- 5-------- 3--- -----7--- -----5-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------4-s-7------7- s-5--
-4-s-5-- 5-s-4-- -4-s-7- --7-s-5---------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a short idea of what I'm getting at. Obviously I'd encourage you to take this sort of idea all over the neck.

Basically you take your major scale (in this case G), and find the sixth intervals from each note. Some people who are 'up' on their theory will realise that to keep the sixths diatonic, some will be minor and some will natural intervals. I'll give the intervals below for anyone who's unsure:

G-E - 6
A-F# - 6
B-G - b6
C-A - 6
D-B - 6
F#-D - b6

In all honesty I don't play Country that much at all, but I tend to use this technique every so often. Amongst many other chops such as Cascade Licks, Double Stops and the like, sixths will help you get that 'Country' flavour and feel.

Hope it's helpful.