So I was thinking about checking out/making or buying a blackheart BH5. Anyone think it can give me some really heavy tones with a metal muff running in front of it?
theres a vid of that pedal being demoed and was getting metal metal tones out of a bassman so be ok for blackheart
the muff will sound great in front of it! i use one with my valve jr and it sounds great.
if you're playing primarily metal, you might want to get an american voiced amp instead. or if ur budget is not enough for a Randall RG just get a SS randall or microcube-that is if you're going for heavy metal as opposed to metal of the 80s.

slash_edit: after looking at ur username and sig, i'd say go for a Randall. this amp is not gonna be the shred sound you want unless you're going for a neo-classical shred sound. it's bright and marshally.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
if you're playing primarily metal, you might want to get an american voiced amp instead. or if ur budget is not enough for a Randall RG just get a SS randall or microcube-that is if you're going for heavy metal as opposed to metal of the 80s.

slash_edit: after looking at ur username and sig, i'd say go for a Randall. this amp is not gonna be the shred sound you want unless you're going for a neo-classical shred sound. it's bright and marshally.
Did you seriously just suggest that british amps are bad for shred?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
na, just that his sn implies he wants something similar to CoB sound. i believe a darker tone is what he is after opposed to a brighter one.

buying a 5 watt tube amp to throw a dist pedal in front of it...i'm still against that kinda thing if the majority of what the person playing is dark voiced metal.

w/ my amp dimed and OD on top pushin' it, i can get a shred sound out of it, but it's not like CoB. hard for me to describe but i figure you know what i mean.

but in HIS case, i'm thinkin' he's wanting a dark tone could be wrong, he hasn't clarified any bands that sound like what he wants.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Just because your amp is bright doesn't mean all British voiced amps are bright. There are dark british voiced amps. Not to mention that so much shred uses British amplification.

And yeah, you'd be right in saying it's bad to buy a 5w to stick a dist pedal in front of it - they're voiced completely wrong for metal.
The tone I want is Lamb of God crossed with shadows Fall. What's the best Super small amp / headphone amp that I can get for metal at a reasonable price. I can make it and I prefer tubes.
You should be looking at something like a Roland Microcube.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
you're not gonna have a small tube amp doing that for you. not w/o shellin' a good amount out.

get a microcube or 15 watt cube. you'll be satisfied.

mr. carrot,

i wasn't aware that all british amps weren't necessarily bright....of course the most popular ones that come to mind seem to be along the brighter spectrum. what do you mean when you say most shred uses british amplification?

anyway, not arguin w/ ya seeing as you know more than i do on this, but please clarify for me so i can be sure not to imply half-true knowledge upon further occasions!! i prefer to know everything about what i'm helping about, but there's so much to know!! thanks
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
What I mean when I say alot of shred uses british amps is that lots of shred artists choose to use british amps. Gilbert and Yngwie are two big examples. What you've done is generalise that all British amps are bright and aggressive, and all American amps are dark and smooth - they're not. American amps can be bright and aggressive and British amps can be dark and smooth. It's all in the application.
the current trend of up an coming metal/shred bands seem to favor the mesa/peavey amps over the marshally sounding ones out there. but then again what's popular and on the radio over here isn't necessarily the same as what's over in your area.

i'll try not to generalize that kinda thing, the majority of UG is guilty of the same assumptions as me lol. when i hear someone talk about wanting a shred sound on here, i usually assume they want a heavy dark metal lead type sound as opposed to the more aggressive sounding malmsteen type. ionno, soo much for this young grasshopper(me) to learn.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by ESP_Shreder
So I was thinking about checking out/making or buying a blackheart BH5. Anyone think it can give me some really heavy tones with a metal muff running in front of it?

go to guitar center get a metal muff if you don't like it take it back. look into a good reverb also.