At the moment I run a distortion pedal into the front of my amp, but I think now i'd rather sell that, or keep it in storage, and run a volume pedal instead, setting my amp to high distortion and using the volume pedal to back down to cleans.

I think the Boss FV-500 is my best option for this because of the minimum volume feature. I've read that people say these pedals have quite a negative effect on tone, and in one case that they didn't but only if they were run through the effects loop.

So basically i was wondering two things:

Does anyone have experience with these pedals and could comment on the tone sucking?

and

There are two FV-500s one has a high impedence imput and one a low. I understand that if my guitar was going directly to the input of the pedal i'd need the high impedence, but if I place the pedal in my effects loop, bearing in mind it's a 1.4 Volt Line Level signal going into it would i need the low impedence version?

Thanks
Matamp GT-120
Providence Stampede SDT-1
Gordon-Smith Graduate 60
(FOR SALE ) Schecter C-1 Exotic Star
(FOR SALE )
Volume pedals do suck. tone that is and create noise. if i were you i'd look into getting a Boost. I HIGHLY reccomend that you get the MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost/Line Driver. What that will do is boost your volume CLEANLY without sucking tone or creating noise and it is easy to just stomp on and off to reset to your original volume. what you have to do though is dial back the gain on the amp almost all the way, then run your distortion to the boost and the boost to the amp. not sure if this is what you would want to do, but just playing with volume pedals recently seemed like a royal pain in the ass.
LTD KH-602
Schecter Hellraiser C-8
Bugera 333X
Pedalboard:
Boss TU-2, HM-2
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Crybaby From Hell
Way Huge Swollen Pickel
DeviEver: Legend of Fuzz
MXR Phase 90 Script, Carbon Copy, MC-401
Why don't you use the volume on your guitar? It's cheaper, handier, a tad harder to get right, but it saves you a ton of money!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by MetalliKH-602
Volume pedals do suck. tone that is and create noise. if i were you i'd look into getting a Boost. I HIGHLY reccomend that you get the MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost/Line Driver. What that will do is boost your volume CLEANLY without sucking tone or creating noise and it is easy to just stomp on and off to reset to your original volume. what you have to do though is dial back the gain on the amp almost all the way, then run your distortion to the boost and the boost to the amp. not sure if this is what you would want to do, but just playing with volume pedals recently seemed like a royal pain in the ass.

Cheers mate but what I want to do is stop using my distortion pedal completely and use the pre-amp distortion. So basically my amp is distorted and I need something to lower the signal going into it to clean it up.
Matamp GT-120
Gordon-Smith Graduate 60
(FOR SALE )
Quote by BattleOfMice
Cheers mate but what I want to do is stop using my distortion pedal completely and use the pre-amp distortion. So basically my amp is distorted and I need something to lower the signal going into it to clean it up.

like was said before, you could allways use the volume on your guitar
if you find the sound cuts out too early, try "treble bleed mod" costs close to nothing, and really helps smooth out the volume controll
Quote by Lil Macker
Why don't you use the volume on your guitar? It's cheaper, handier, a tad harder to get right, but it saves you a ton of money!

I do already but it's too hit and miss for live situations. Last night using just the pre-amp distortion I had my bridge volume on 10 and the neck volume on 0.5 with the coil split and it was still a bit gritty.

I can use that but it means that the neck pickup is for clean and the bridge for distortion which isn't as versatile. Having said that the volume pedal would only be for use live and practice, for studio stuff i'll just track my clean and distorted parts seperately and change the amp settings.
Matamp GT-120
Gordon-Smith Graduate 60
(FOR SALE )