I recently was given a classical guitar that belonged to a friend of the family. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it and its still not perfect The neck bows when I put strings on it, (It has no truss rod) and I cant get a note after the 12th fret. I think the major problem is the fact that I have steel strings on it ( all i could find ) Would it be better if I ordered some nylon strings online? would this possibly fix the problem or would it just have new strings ? I love the sound of a classical guitar and am happy to own one now, just hope I can fix it all up.
Proud member of the r0k 4 Chr15† club, PM christianbassis oe teh raven to join
My guitars-
Ibanez RX-40 (Had it since I was six lol )
A spanish classical guitar
Nylon will reduce the stress on the neck and probably fix the problem. I also suggest ordering some nylon strings if you want that authentic classical sound
ok thank you very much . I look into that right now.
My guitars-
take the steel strings off ASAP, that can permanently damage the neck, there's a good chance you've already damaged the bridge.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The number one no no to a classical guitar is to put Steel Strings on it, even if its all you had, your lucky you didnt snap the neck! Get those steels off ASAP!
Goddamn Electric
*Loosens strings and runs for wire clippers*
My guitars-
Ok strings are gone, what do I look for in terms of possible damage?
My guitars-
Well, steel strings produce much more tension than nylon strings so the most common problem is neck bow. I'll get you a few links to similar threads so you can see.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752970&highlight=steel+string+classical+guitar
Last edited by confusius at Jul 29, 2008,