Ive got two years guitar experience so i have a reasonable idea of what brands are good and what arent, but I need help deciding what the best bass is i can buy.

I have £130 (around $200 i think) saved up, and enjoy playing rock/metal (80's stuff).

thanks
Check out the FAQ, there are some good options in that price range.

And you do know you are going to need to get a bass amp as well? There's some nice suggestions for those in the FAQ as well.
Quote by Adz2706
Ive got two years guitar experience so i have a reasonable idea of what brands are good and what arent

Not entirely true, Marshal and Line 6 bass amps and Gibson Basses all suck balls. Just because some one makes a good guitar, doesn't mean that they make a good bass.

Your going to have a bit of trouble finding a bass and a bass amp for £130, my suggestion is to look at the FAQ and check out the bass starter packs at GAK:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=48
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Not entirely true, Marshal and Line 6 bass amps and Gibson Basses all suck balls. Just because some one makes a good guitar, doesn't mean that they make a good bass.

Your going to have a bit of trouble finding a bass and a bass amp for £130, my suggestion is to look at the FAQ and check out the bass starter packs at GAK:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=48

yeah, thats why i said reasonable
Don't buy a stagg. They may be cheap and some of them sound really good (like the BC300) but they are so poorly made, the wiring is faulty, just looking too hard at the body will cause permanet scratches and the pickups stop working if they get knowcked about: you have to take it apart to rearange the magnets and resolder everything. Get a Squier (not affinity though), Epiphone or Ibanez.

DO NOT GET A BASS + AMP PACAGE FOR LESS THAN £100

The bass I wish I'd got first was this : Ibanez GaxB150 I think, but I couldnt find it in any shops. I've had the BC300 for nearly a year and there is not a single thing on it that hasnt been broken or needed serious adjusting. The E tuner got somehow sheared and was impossible to fix because they are sealed! It's spent at least a tenth of its life in the shop being repaired.
Quote by Adz2706
yeah, thats why i said reasonable

You will learn that bass gear often is more expensive, due to the fact less people buy it. I would say save up around £25 more and get the Yamaha starter back for £155, at least. I would go higher if were you though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!