Lately I've been feeling stuck with my guitar playing. I'm playing the same sort of stuff over and over and don't seem to be getting any better than I was before, in fact, I think I'm getting worse. At the moment I'm not really leaning songs, as I don't have the attention span , I'm just playing some bluesy improv stuff. At the moment I'm not taking any lessons, but will be starting again in September. At the moment I want to progress, but I find that I can barely motivate myself to play at all.

Any help/advice/ideas would be much appreciated.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Learn these songs:

-Master of Puppets
-Crazy Train
-Purple Haze
-Unholy Confessions
-Chapter Four

Those are the first few songs I learned. Not saying you're a beginner, but if you haven't learned to play these songs, I suggest them so you won't get any "worse" than you are already getting. x]

Want good music?
www.myspace.com/dodgingsusan
Dude, go to Adam Nitti's website, he has a thing in there for that. I'm gonna do some of that eventually, but it looks pretty good. Nevermind he's a bassist. He kicks most guitarists' asses.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
At the moment you should learn songs you like, that can be fun.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
At the moment, try some different genres (ambient, bluegrass, anti-disco), to spice up your life.
Your Signature:
I feel the same way sometimes, it really helps me to try and learn music from a new genre like if you always play metal then try some funk or some country. At the moment I'm trying to play jazz guitar which is becoming one beast of a challenge. Whatever you do dont stop playing.
More Gain!
i used to get that way all the time and still do occasionally. the best ways that i learned to deal with it was
1. if your feeling burnt out on playing the guitar then don't force yourself to play, your not going to enjoy it and therefore wont have the attention span or motivation to get better. just put it back in the case and forget about music for a little while and go do something else that you enjoy doing.
2. a good way to stay sharp instead of sitting in your room trying to learn all these other bands songs is to just get with a group of friends who play or just record yourself playing some chord progressions (boomerrangs work great for this) and just improv. over that, don't think about theory and this wont work because of that etc... just play, don't worry if you hit a wrong note, if you do then just bend the hell out of the string until it registers a tone that fits. very good way of getting out of a rut is by improv. with noone but yourself, sometimes you will surprise yourself by how much you've progressed and haven't realized it.
3.START A BAND!!! nothing motivates you more and makes you want to start learning as much as possible as being in a band. you wanna be the guy up on the stage everyone is staring at wishing they could do that right? everyone does...think about that and think about maybe you got a certain person or people in your life you'd like to impress. don't think about how boring practicing is or any of that stuff, look ahead at what your ultimate goal is. as long as you got that drive to reach the level you'd like to be at then you got nothing to worry about. everyone feels that way sometimes. ( i know i do ) and so have all the greatest players out there. one of the things that used to keep me motivated when i was just learning and at certain times wanting to quit was, slash clapton hendrix gilmour becker lee page hammett vai satriani malmsteen at one time in their lives they only knew just as much as you do......your only as good as you want to be, but start you a group or a band or something it will really lift your spirits and get you back into playing.

Hope that helps.
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
Line6 Spider lll 75Watt Combo
WAY too many effects to list
Quote by polaroidvision
Lately I've been feeling stuck with my guitar playing. I'm playing the same sort of stuff over and over and don't seem to be getting any better than I was before, in fact, I think I'm getting worse. At the moment I'm not really leaning songs, as I don't have the attention span , I'm just playing some bluesy improv stuff. At the moment I'm not taking any lessons, but will be starting again in September. At the moment I want to progress, but I find that I can barely motivate myself to play at all.

Any help/advice/ideas would be much appreciated.

That sounds just like me except for the lessons part, I am still taking lessons.I keep trying to play at least a little bit everyday hoping to stumble on something to reignite my interest. I talked to a buddy of mine about joining him and a couple of friends at their jam sessions hopefully I can pick up some inspiration and techniques but they haven't got together again yet
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal