I've been thinking of adding a 2nd guitar player to be in my band, and have 1 of the guitarists playing punk rhythm and the lead playing surf / blues leads

It's come down to either a 2nd guitar player, or a musician that can play keys / violin / guitar or one other instrument

Anyone know of any bands that would sound like this.....Anyone know if this would work at all?

I'm pretty sure the bluesy part will....My band will just be sounding a little more Mudhoney influenced.

Yeah so, if you know of any bands that play these styles (besides mudhoney I guess..) please post them
Quote by Swap-Meet
I've been thinking of adding a 2nd guitar player to be in my band, and have 1 of the guitarists playing punk rhythm and the lead playing surf / blues leads

It's come down to either a 2nd guitar player, or a musician that can play keys / violin / guitar or one other instrument

a second guitarist can be useful, though it´s not so necessary for punk, sometimes he´s just in the way. Playing Blues leads would create a void to vomit. Really, then you add walking bass and have a Rockabilly band, that´s ****.

If you add a second guitar let him play octave chords or octaved chords of the ones you do, if you have a nice lead it´s fine, but leave out the Blues. If you´re are not the Stooges or Sham 69 leave out the keys too, keyboards don´t belong into music. They´re part of the worst time in the pop history!
Quote by lavazza
a second guitarist can be useful, though it´s not so necessary for punk, sometimes he´s just in the way. Playing Blues leads would create a void to vomit. Really, then you add walking bass and have a Rockabilly band, that´s ****.

If you add a second guitar let him play octave chords or octaved chords of the ones you do, if you have a nice lead it´s fine, but leave out the Blues. If you´re are not the Stooges or Sham 69 leave out the keys too, keyboards don´t belong into music. They´re part of the worst time in the pop history!

Hmmm...It was just a thought, I wrote one song, wrote the guitar, bass, and drums, played it and I liked how it sounded.

It was a bluesy lick with distortion and it sounded really good, and then the chorus was rhythm
I do recall having a thread like this a year ago, and I also recall it containing this useful nugget of information: blues is meant to be played slowly and mournfully. Playing it fast will make you sound like a tool (i.e. Cream) and should be avoided. However, you will most likely ignore this information and think "hey I'm punk I can do it because I'm punk and I like innovate stuff" at which point I will ask you to stop playing music all together.

EDIT: A bluesy lick is fine, seeing as how most of Rock and Roll is a form of a bluesy lick. But once each and every single one of your songs contains a guitar solo like Black Sabbath please note that your music with either need to slow down or stop being bluesy.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
This is an old post of mine that features an alright list of garage bands, which are largely blues influenced, and some of them surf influenced. So yeah, there's a few bands besides Mudhoney that are bluesy.

The Oblivians
The Gories
The Reigning Sound
The Compulsive Gamblers
The New Bomb Turks
Wreckless Eric
Thee Milkshakes
Thee Headcoats
Thee Mighty Caesars
Les Sexareenos
King Khan & BBQ Show
The Space****s
The Untamed Youth
Guitar Wolf
Teengenerate
Jack Oblivian
Jacko and the Tennessee Tearjerkers
Cool Jerks
The Limes
Supercharger
Speedball Baby
The Knights of the New Crusade
The Royal Pendletons
The Makes
Dan Melchior
Holly Golightly
April March
The Revelators
King Louie Bangston
John Schooley and his One Man Band
Red Aunts
Gas Huffer
Quadrajets
Pagans
Lyres
DMZ
Satan's Pilgrims
The Neptunes
Man Or Astro-Man?
Mystery Girls
Mr. Airplane Man
Detroit Cobras
Mika Miko
The Makers
The Little Killers
The Lazy Cowgirls
The Lamps
Knoxville Girls
Clorox Girls
Jack O' Fire
The Hexxers
Greg Oblivian and the Tip-Tops
The Greenhornes
The Mummies
The Exploding Hearts
The Dirtys
The Dirtbombs
Black Time
Black Lips!
The Deadly Snakes
The Cynics
Clone Defects
Cheater Slicks
The Bloody Hollies
Rip Offs
Blacks
Reatards

Those bands are mostly 90s and later but there's a few from the 70's and 80's. Also, some of those are not strictly garage, but they fit well with those bands.

As for the 60's, you should check out the Nuggets Compilations as mentioned above. Other good compilations are Back From The Grave, Pebbles, and Beat Happening. As for specific bands, you must listen to the Sonics, Los Saicos, the Kingsmen, the Fabulous Wailers, the Seeds, 13th Floor Elevators, and the Brogues.