I decided to pick up my first guitar and try to turn it into a decent one. It's a fat strat copy(made by Condor), made of agathis which I reckon is not a very nice wood. I plan on changing it's pickups to try to make it sound good enough so it can stand nicely next to my main guitar, which is a real versatile godess.

Now, I'm torn between turning my Condor into a heavy metal machine(HSS or HSH), or a blues strat(SSS). Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm thinking that the quality of the wood might be more important on a blues guitar than on a heavy metal one.

So the question is, just by changing pickups, can I make a better blues or a better heavy metal guitar out of a bad wood body?

Thanks
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

well... the wood might have some effect if you weren't playing through an amp... but the pickups are gonna hear the strings and not care about the wood...
I vote for METAL. I put a set of Duncans (SH-4 & SH-2) in a strat rip off and it sounds great for metal & hard rock.
I vote you turn it into a wangcaster
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
metal FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

Ahahah, well, i would do that if I wasn't just going to change the pickups. Oh, and the guitar sounds bad(yet) but it's pretty good looking. It's has translucent dark green finish on a white pickguard, and i plan on putting all black pickups, switches and stuff. Gonna look great.

Thanks for the replies so far!
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Good to hear agathis is good for metal.. lol. I'm a hard rock player really but I'm going to drop some Duncans in my ibanez thats made out of agathis..
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

Should we just start an official wangcaster club then?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You could make a guitar that is good for metal and blues. I'd get a medium output humbucker (around 14K with an alnico magnet) in the bridge and then get a medium output single in the middle (around 7K) and then put a vintage output (6K) single in the neck. This will make a guitar that is good for blues, rock, or metal from the bridge and middle pickups and it'll be good for blues and rock from the neck.
Not taking any online orders.
haha no i was kidding. throw some super distortions into it and chug away!

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
not to hijack the thread, but what pickups would be good for an Epi LP standard in the metal genre?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
super distortions (dimarzio) are good, the hot rodded seymour duncan's can be good, you know anything above like 13k output for the bridge.

Also, new pickups may make your guitar sound better, but it's not gonna be your dream just because of new pickups, the neck and body wood as well as the feel of the neck havn't changed, although if you liked those in the first place, it will probably turn out satisfactory.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
What about a duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
not to hijack the thread, but what pickups would be good for an Epi LP standard in the metal genre?

Thats something worthy of it's own thread. Start a thread that states what amp you have, what the guitar is, and what tone you are trying to get and give examples if possible.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by injected
Good to hear agathis is good for metal.. lol. I'm a hard rock player really but I'm going to drop some Duncans in my ibanez thats made out of agathis..

Don't get me wrong man, no one said agathis is good for metal, it's just that i can make a better heavy metal than a blues guitar out of an agathis body. It won't be a dream heavy metal guitar, of course, the wood is still quite important for the sound, but it will be a pretty decent guitar, which is better than a ****ty starters guitar, right? That said, put those duncans on and rock man.

For the pickups i'm probably going for some national brands(i live in Brazil) because of the price. I don't want to spend too much money into it, and want to hear them for myself, cause our national pickups are quite good from what i heard.
Do you think I should go with a noiseless single coil or a single coil sized humbucker for the neck? For the middle i'm going for a single coil sound.

And yeah, i'm going for a heavy metal guitar.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Chug Chug Chug Chug

i've dug out my old megadeth CDs lately and ive been chuggin away