All this information on here is good and helpful, but where does a beginner start if he wants to start learning to make his own gear, or repair stuff. I'm more interested in the electronic aspect, effect pedals and amps and such.

Any good advice?
start taking your guitars apart!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
start taking your guitars apart!

srsly

If you are curious enough, just take stuff apart. I do it all the time, usually when i need extra parts.
Quote by dogismycopilot
srsly

If you are curious enough, just take stuff apart. I do it all the time, usually when i need extra parts.

+1

I take nearly everything apart, whether I need to or not. I just like to know how things work.
I got started because whenever the wiring in my guitars broke, I had to pay £20+ for someone to fix it, and usually be told some bull**** story as to how they had to replace all the pots or something like that. Now I fix my own guitars for free!
read read read read read. google.com.

take **** apart, wreck things, fix them. learn to solder.

anyone feel the mintsauce idea of a wiki page to be a really good idea at this point?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
read read read read read. google.com.

take **** apart, wreck things, fix them. learn to solder.

anyone feel the mintsauce idea of a wiki page to be a really good idea at this point?

Whatever happened to that?

But I'dsay learn to solder, that is the most basic skill of anything electronic wise, you don't need to be able to solder micro electronics or anything, but PCBs, wires, perfboard, and components are pretty basic things. Also learn how schematics work and learn how electricity works in general. Start modding small stuff, like I did, I stared on an old gamecube monitor that I modded to be able to accept component cable input instead of just gamecube cable input and the I took an old guitar cable and chopped off one end and attached a cell phone headphone adapted to it so I can plug in my ipod and stuff into my amp from ten feet away instead of being right next to the amp with it. Be creative and try challenging stuff, like switches and stuff, I just wired a piezo and switch into my guitar which was easy except my soldering iron had a **** tip that wouldn't melt the solder unless it was near the base so that made it a pain in the ass. and take stuff apart and put it back together and learn how to salvage parts form old stuff.
Thanks, I'm lookin at this Fuzz Face kit here at: http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=130&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Anyone know if I would purchase that, would it have everything I need to get started (minus a soldering iron and solder)?

Or if that's too complicated to start with lemme know.
i started accidentally by breaking a lot of **** i didnt want broken. so i learned how to start fixing them, which led to performing upgrades which led to wanting a garage to turn into a shop.
Quote by rossjohnson87
Thanks, I'm lookin at this Fuzz Face kit here at: http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=130&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Anyone know if I would purchase that, would it have everything I need to get started (minus a soldering iron and solder)?

Or if that's too complicated to start with lemme know.

Fuzz faces are a great start that are usually recommended for first time pedal builders. Also a good start is the LPB-1 (Electro-Harmonix's Linear Power Booster), or the Dallas Rangemaster (a treble booster). Good to start with a kit because it includes everything. Later you're going to have to buy parts seperately and use perfboard (or make your own PCB's), but a kit is great for starters.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Fuzz faces are a great start that are usually recommended for first time pedal builders. Also a good start is the LPB-1 (Electro-Harmonix's Linear Power Booster), or the Dallas Rangemaster (a treble booster). Good to start with a kit because it includes everything. Later you're going to have to buy parts seperately and use perfboard (or make your own PCB's), but a kit is great for starters.

So if I shell out $55 bucks or so for the kit, I'll have pretty much everything I need, minus assembly tools?

Also, how hard would the following items be to make:

Electric Mistress Flanger
Binson Echorec 2
Big Muff (Older late 60's model)
Vox Wah-Wah
Quote by -MintSauce-
+1

I take nearly everything apart, whether I need to or not. I just like to know how things work.

Spoken like an engineer... ever consider a career path? lol
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Spoken like an engineer... ever consider a career path? lol

PM that stuff man, try and keep it on topic if you could please.
Quote by rossjohnson87
PM that stuff man, try and keep it on topic if you could please.

^ looks like someone sat on the wrong side of the stick this morning

i'm not trying to recruit him so why would i PM that? this is a message board - not a communist country... freedom of speech FTW

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
BTW. if you want some advice. check out projectguitar.com, buildyourguitar.com, stewmac.com and just wander around the GB&C board (like you're doing now). you can pick up a lot of info. But it's one thing to have mental knowledge and another to actually DO it.

Case in point, a router is a power tool used to cut pockets and shapes in wood. Now you know what it is... but do you know how to use it? probably not...

learn info, buy tools, have fun and dont lose a finger

Quote by rossjohnson87
So if I shell out $55 bucks or so for the kit, I'll have pretty much everything I need, minus assembly tools?

Also, how hard would the following items be to make:

Electric Mistress Flanger
Binson Echorec 2
Big Muff (Older late 60's model)
Vox Wah-Wah

Those would be pretty difficult to build, even for an intermediate-experienced pedal builder (especially the flanger and echorec). The Big Muff wouldn't be so bad because it's similiar to a fuzz face with a tone stack. The Vox would take some time if you didn't know what you were doing, but I wouldn't recommend it. Stick with the kits marked as beginner kits on websites that sell them.

Also you might try buying a kit and modding the Epiphone Valve Junior. The Bitmo mods are pretty good and they come with instructions. If you buy the EVJ used you can get it for pretty cheap, so you don't feel too bad if you royally screw it up. But before you do any amp work, be sure to read about voltages and how circuits work, tube amps contain voltages that can seriously hurt you and sometimes even kill you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

muffs in general are complicated... as are the girls that use them

How do you get started in Gear Building and Customizing?

To gain respect around here?

.... oral sex.

At least thats what they told me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
every time you have a question about something, try finding the answer. Between google and all the other search sites and results, I figure with the wide range of things I research for fun, I can learn about anything I want at my own pace. Like free school with no awards or certifications lol.

but actually doing things is where everything is learnt.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by jedilley
every time you have a question about something, try finding the answer. Between google and all the other search sites and results, I figure with the wide range of things I research for fun, I can learn about anything I want at my own pace. Like free school with no awards or certifications lol.

but actually doing things is where everything is learnt.

That is why I have an official Professor Bull**** Degree !

What about devry? you get certs from them lol!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ looks like someone sat on the wrong side of the stick this morning

i'm not trying to recruit him so why would i PM that? this is a message board - not a communist country... freedom of speech FTW

Don't overreact to that comment, it wasn't said in annoyance or anger, just didn't want to see this thread get derailed. And thanks for the advice from everyone so far, it's been quite helpful.