Poll: What do you look for in music?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you look for in music?
Technicallity
9 9%
Breakdowns
4 4%
Catchy Riffs
43 42%
Good Vocals/Unique Singer
11 11%
Other
36 35%
Voters: 103.
Page 1 of 2
What do you look for in your music? Catchy riffs? Br00tal breakdowns? Technicallity? A good singer/vocalist?
A riff that stays in your head for days, an you have to sing/hum/whistle it all the time.

smoke on the water is a good example
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by Jaymz_515
All of them.

What he said.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
100 % riffs on the poll

COOL!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Catchy riffs for me. While listening to songs though, technicality also plays a role. Something might just jump up at me and just go Whoa.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
What I love about Rockabilly is the catchy riffs. A lot of improv when you come up with one.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
All of them besides breakdowns really. If I had to choose one though, it would be catchy riffs.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
I focus more on song structure, emotion and lyrics.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Melody is what makes music worthy to listen.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
What ever part in the song makes me say to myself "wow i wish my band could do something like that"...so pretty much for every song there is a different part for me
all of them.
Being able to write songs too, if you have great playing abilty but your'e crap at writing songs then it just won't be good
It's the sound that's important, man. If a band can only do one of the things you listed well, then I'd get bored of them, I think. But if their sound is unique and interesting, I'll listen to them.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I listen to different genres, and even within just the rock genre my music is diverse. Usually it focuses on rhythms, riffs, dynamics, or some combination of the three. I like bands with great riffs like Zeppelin, great rhythms like Tool, and even some bands which are built almost solely on the loud/soft dynamic like Deftones and Chevelle. But my favorite bands all have different qualities.

As for the other options, vocals generally don't matter as much to me, they just help guide the song and add meaning to it. Breakdowns are good in hardcore and metal music, but I listen to far more than just metal so they aren't as important either.
Last edited by Castlebravo at Jul 29, 2008,
If I'm left humming a riff I've written I know I'm on to something. Melody and catchy-ness is the most important thing for me.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
The vocalists range, tone and how the vocalist puts expression on certian words in the song.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
Why would you look for breakdowns? They're boring and over used as hell, seriously.

It depends what music I'm listening to. If it's jazz, it's technicality. If it's metal, it's speed and aggression. If it's punk, it's energy. If it's folk, it's catchyness and authenticness. The list goes on.

How everything works together goes well. My friend who isn't even a musician says it annoys her when she hears music being separate pieces rather than one big thing.
Technicality, intensity, melody, good singer and guitarists.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Talent... Technicality
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Ibanez RG550 Black, Maple Fretboard
Agile Pendulum Pro Dual 7 String
Ibanez Exotic Wood Quilted Maple Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 1x12 50 Watt Tube Combo
POD HD500 Multieffects and Amp Modeling Processor
I like strong, passionate vocals. Something that seems to have been unheard of until the 90's.
Mainly a good vocalist. Otherwise anything that just sounds nice, and not overdone.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
what matters most to me is how well everything blends together to create a song
I see no sign of fortress.
mine has to not involve hiphop.

so catchy riffs. Whens the last time you heard people hum hiphop beats.
I like music that does something different and takes you by surprise. I also like it when every member of the band has a prominent role in the sound.
Depends the genre.
Blues I go for melody and guitar chops/vibe.

Pop/Punk/emo as this board lumps together, then probably lyrics.
Technicality, good riffs, memorable melodies and decent vocals. I like good lyrics, since I'd feel like an arse singing along to bad lyrics, but that is less of a priority. I do rate technicality most of all, I just like to listen to the skill exhibited in the music.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Technicality, good riffs, memorable melodies and decent vocals. I like good lyrics, since I'd feel like an arse singing along to bad lyrics, but that is less of a priority. I do rate technicality most of all, I just like to listen to the skill exhibited in the music.

Jack Black and Kyle Gass don't feel like asses singing their lyrics! And neither should you! *sigh* If only more people in the world were like Jables and Kage...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
riffs and breakdowns.... how do i choose both of em?
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
I only know that instrumental technicality is the least of my priorities in my music. Seriously, no one gives a shit how fast you can play or how many 7 string sweeps you can do in a second.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
all of them are very very important, but if i had to choose, i would say the singers voice. not the lyrics, the voice itself. it determines the tolerability (word?) of the song, thus how much it is eventually played.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Page 1 of 2