Page 1 of 2
I saw this on the news a couple of days ago. Really impressive guy, it was very lucky that he didn't take any shrapnel, and only some of the shockwaves. Go commandoes, if I were to enlist I'd join up with them.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
He only got a headache and a nosebleed. That's an amazing story. I could only wish that I would have the courage to do such a thing. Props to that man.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I dont think I'd have the balls to do that. I might put my helmet on it and run away, but jumping on a live active grenade? No way.
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Helluva thing to do, specially damn near KNOWING you'd die.

He's a helluva lucky guy.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
He lived it too...amazing.

He deserves that award.
LARGE TEXT
ahh yeah, he's lucky he survived, I wonder why he got the George Cross instead of the Victoria Cross though? any Brits know the answer to that? Because IIRC correctly the George Cross is a civil distinction whereas soldiers would get the Victoria Cross.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well if i was in the same position and i was as couragous as him, i would of gone to the same measures to try and shield my comrades from the blast............if possible.
incredible that he survived without any serious injury, i guess thats the real reward for his bravery
he's awesome and fully deserves that award
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ahh yeah, he's lucky he survived, I wonder why he got the George Cross instead of the Victoria Cross though? any Brits know the answer to that? Because IIRC correctly the George Cross is a civil distinction whereas soldiers would get the Victoria Cross.

I think the Victoria Cross is rewarded for that extra more valour, and many are given posthumously. I'm not sure why he was given a George Cross, since - as you said - that is the highest civil decoration. Maybe it was because he didn't kill any Taleban is his actions, just endangered himself.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

The George Cross can also awarded to military personnel for acts of gallantry NOT in the face of the enemy. In this case it was a grenade rigged with a trip wire, rather than a grenade thrown by an enemy during a firefight etc...
i've not read the article yet, but i half saw the news with him on it last week, didn't he have his bag over his stomache, cause there was a picture with him and this torn up camoflage bag, it's an incredibly brave thing to do either way
Quote by Shodan
The George Cross can also awarded to military personnel for acts of gallantry NOT in the face of the enemy. In this case it was a grenade rigged with a trip wire, rather than a grenade thrown by an enemy during a firefight etc...

ahh, yeah that's a little different than the way the Medal of Honor is awarded then, thanks for clearing that up.

Last.fm
There was an american soldier while back who did the same but he didn't survive. I think he was awarded the victoria cross.
This guy must have elephant balls.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Good man. I would hope that I would have the balls to do that if I was ever in that situation, but I would end up running away screaming like a little girl.
Quote by GNR's Fan
There was an american soldier while back who did the same but he didn't survive. I think he was awarded the victoria cross.

He would've gotten the Medal of Honor, which is the US equivalent of the Victoria cross, I think the only US soldier to get a Victoria Cross was the Unknown Soldier for WWI (the British Uknown Warrior from WWI was given a Medal of Honor as well, same deal there)

Last.fm
Quote by GNR's Fan

The Victoria Cross is for members of the armed services in the UK and the rest of the Commonwealth (e.g Canada, NZ, Australia).

The American's probably have a similar medal.

As said the Victoria Cross is only arawded if they're in the face of the enemy.

The Victoria Cross and Geogre Cross are equal (One for the forces, one for civilians), but in the unlikely event of someone having both (never happened), the VC comes first.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
He would've gotten the Medal of Honor, which is the US equivalent of the Victoria cross, I think the only US soldier to get a Victoria Cross was the Unknown Soldier for WWI (the British Uknown Warrior from WWI was given a Medal of Honor as well, same deal there)

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Military/american_vc_recipients.htm
No active US service members have received it other than the unknown but several Americans have received it.
That dude is one lucky sob.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
This guy wouldn't have gotten anything in the U.S., which is ridiculous..at least the British government knows acts of bravery when they see them.

I read a story about a U.S. Marine who was shot in close-quarters when going house to house in Baghdad. He saw a grenade roll down the stairs, and knowing he that he had a minimal chance of surviving the gunshot would, he jumped on top of the grenade and saved 5 fellow Marines who were in the house with him, however, the blast killed him. And guess what? The U.S. government has yet to award him any sort of medal for his heroics. He saved the life of 5 other troops at the cost of his own, even though there was a chance he could have survived if he had done nothing.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Mlrc
This guy wouldn't have gotten anything in the U.S., which is ridiculous..at least the British government knows acts of bravery when they see them.

I read a story about a U.S. Marine who was shot in close-quarters when going house to house in Baghdad. He saw a grenade roll down the stairs, and knowing he that he had a minimal chance of surviving the gunshot would, he jumped on top of the grenade and saved 5 fellow Marines who were in the house with him, however, the blast killed him. And guess what? The U.S. government has yet to award him any sort of medal for his heroics. He saved the life of 5 other troops at the cost of his own, even though there was a chance he could have survived if he had done nothing.

Uh hmmm. Go be mad at somebody else.
http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/iraq.html
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Amazing thing to do. Some one who has the guts to sacrifice themselves for others deserves to live and deserves a medal.
Quote by Jackal58
Uh hmmm. Go be mad at somebody else.
http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/iraq.html

The guy I was talking about wasn't listed.........He was a Hispanic immigrant from Mexico, who came from an impoverished family. This man wasn't even born in America, and yet he gave his life to defend his fellow Marines. Besides, you think there were 4 acts of heroics in the entire war? So many men and women have gone unrecognized for their valor in such an unnecessary war. I remember reading about Paul Smith though, what he did was amazing.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
That's brave. Nice. I saw this on the news.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Mlrc
The guy I was talking about wasn't listed.........He was a Hispanic immigrant from Mexico, who came from an impoverished family. This man wasn't even born in America, and yet he gave his life to defend his fellow Marines. Besides, you think there were 4 acts of heroics in the entire war? So many men and women have gone unrecognized for their valor in such an unnecessary war. I remember reading about Paul Smith though, what he did was amazing.

The MoH is awarded very slowly. Much like the VC sometimes it takes years for it to happen.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by bannanaman
i've not read the article yet, but i half saw the news with him on it last week, didn't he have his bag over his stomache, cause there was a picture with him and this torn up camoflage bag, it's an incredibly brave thing to do either way

I saw the interview with him today, he said he jumped on his front at first, but then quickly turned over on his back, his bag was full of equiment so it took most of the blast.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Jackal58
The MoH is awarded very slowly. Much like the VC sometimes it takes years for it to happen.

It's been quite some time since it occurred (I believe it happened at the beginning of the war) and they ignored his commander's requests for him to be put into consideration for the award. I know it takes, sometimes, even decades for something as prestigious as that award to be given to a usually deceased soldier, but it's the fact that they are not even considering him for the award is what really got to me.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
"He acted to save his comrades in the most certain knowledge that he would not himself survive."

-Sir Jock Stirrup

LOL

Hope I'm not too late with that. But anyways, what luck!! This reminds me of on Band of Brothers when they're fighting in the entrenched 88's and the grenade goes off like right against Joe Toy, like TWICE, and he just crawls out of the trench with no injuries lol.
We're only strays.
Quote by QuebecMetal
This guy must have elephant balls.

more like Rhino Skin

/Tom Petty reference
You are now blinking manually
I knew a guy who done something like this,he didn't survive.

A real hero.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
I knew a guy who done something like this,he didn't survive.

A real hero.

What makes this guy not a hero?
Quote by meh!
What makes this guy not a hero?

This guy is a hero too, but in my book there's still a small difference between almost giving your life and actually giving your life for your comrades. Not that this guy isn't an awesome guy who deserves the highest of honors, but had he died it would not only have been his greates, but also his last action, which... i dunno, kinda adds something tragicly heroic to it. This guy survived, that's awesome ballsy heroic. Ah I dunno. I've never been in battle.
Quote by Mlrc
It's been quite some time since it occurred (I believe it happened at the beginning of the war) and they ignored his commander's requests for him to be put into consideration for the award. I know it takes, sometimes, even decades for something as prestigious as that award to be given to a usually deceased soldier, but it's the fact that they are not even considering him for the award is what really got to me.

You got any links to this. It intrigues me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by CoreysMonster
This guy is a hero too, but in my book there's still a small difference between almost giving your life and actually giving your life for your comrades. Not that this guy isn't an awesome guy who deserves the highest of honors, but had he died it would not only have been his greates, but also his last action, which... i dunno, kinda adds something tragicly heroic to it. This guy survived, that's awesome ballsy heroic. Ah I dunno. I've never been in battle.

I don't agree, but it's not a big thing. They were obviously both willing to give their life, seems kind of petty to draw distinctions.

meh
Quote by meh!
I don't agree, but it's not a big thing. They were obviously both willing to give their life, seems kind of petty to draw distinctions.

meh

I concur. Being lucky doesn't diminish his actions in any way.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by CoreysMonster

There's nothing heroic about dying. Why would someone who dies be any more heroic than someone who lived, if they went through the same thing?
Page 1 of 2