I want to begin to try to play some death metal / deathcore.

The bands i like, such as Nile, As Blood Runs Black, The Black Dahlia Murder, Animosity, All Shall Perish, etc. always use heavily dropped tunings.

Since i usually play songs in drop-d or standard tuning (i only mess with the low E string), and only have one guitar (so i can't have one for standard/drop-d and the other in drop-c, for example), i was wondering if there were any death metal bands that play in standard or drop-d tuning and have easy songs for begginers (i only started playing the guitar an year and a half now)...

Does anyone have suggestions?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 30, 2008,
no ABRB play in Drop C
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Possessed wrote songs in standard.

But get new strings, like gauge 10-52 and drop a bit. For what you like, it's funnier.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
If its drop b or c play it in drop D if its whole step down or whole and a 1/2 down play it in standard. You can change the tunings on guitar pro to match your guitar without transposing it so it doenst change the fingerings but the gp file still sounds in tune with you. If your playing to a cd or with a friend whos downtuned obviously this wont work. But solo or with gp it will. Then when you get an extra guitar to tune to your favorate bands common tunings you'll already know the songs.
Thank you for the suggestions so far.
I'm definitely going to try Mors Principium Est's "Sinners Defeat" and some Possessed songs.

Keep the suggestions coming! They are very much appreciated!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
All Opeth sons are Standard or Drop D

but really whats stopping you from tuning lower. i was always trying to avoid downtuning but when i just sucked it up and did it i never looked back. i now play in C# standard the majority of the time, and with the same string gauges i use for standard so no worries there.
Quote by ch715dallat
All Opeth sons are Standard or Drop D

but really whats stopping you from tuning lower. i was always trying to avoid downtuning but when i just sucked it up and did it i never looked back. i now play in C# standard the majority of the time, and with the same string gauges i use for standard so no worries there.

I already play Opeth songs, now i'm searching for something else...

It just bothers me to have to detune and then retune if i want to play The Black Dahlia Murder, for example, and then some Pearl Jam...
Most of the songs i play are in standard or drop-d, so it's just a matter of lazyness... I'm too lazy to keep switching tunings.

So, it's easier to ask people with more experience than me for death metal and deathcore songs in standard or drop-d tuning!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
If you haven't already, Burn In Hell - Dimmu Borgir.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
If you haven't already, Burn In Hell - Dimmu Borgir.

Thank you! I'll give it a try!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
just detune it. seriously, it's not going to sound extremely heavy in standard tuning. learning how to tune/detune your guitar is a worthwhile effort. you can expand the amount of songs you can play with multiple tunings.
Quote by jess2112
just detune it. seriously, it's not going to sound extremely heavy in standard tuning. learning how to tune/detune your guitar is a worthwhile effort. you can expand the amount of songs you can play with multiple tunings.

I know how to do it correctly, i even have a chromatic tuner, which makes it easier.

But i'm really too lazy to be going back and forth in tunings...

On other side, i don't believe that simply there aren't death metal / deathcore bands who use standard and drop-d tunings.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I know how to do it correctly, i even have a chromatic tuner, which makes it easier.

But i'm really too lazy to be going back and forth in tunings...

On other side, i don't believe that simply there aren't death metal / deathcore bands who use standard and drop-d tunings.

learning to tune by ear is even better.

but if you CAN tune/detune by ear, and you're just too lazy, then that's a different story.
Quote by jess2112
learning to tune by ear is even better.

but if you CAN tune/detune by ear, and you're just too lazy, then that's a different story.

By ear i can't. I have to use my chromatic tuner or my computer tuner software.

From standard tuning to drop-d and reverse are the only tunings i can do by ear.

EDIT: For example, if the guitar was in standard tuning and detuned itself, i can't get the tuning back without using a tuner.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
A lot of death metal bands use tunings that you need a special set-up for though. Drop B, C standard, sometimes even B standard and drop A.

D standard is pretty common in metal in general, but if you are to lazy most stuff in D sounds fine in E. Different notes, but the sound of the intervals makes it alright.
Quote by Linkerman

From standard tuning to drop-d and reverse are the only tunings i can do by ear.

EDIT: For example, if the guitar was in standard tuning and detuned itself, i can't get the tuning back without using a tuner.

If your 6th string is tuned can you tune the whole guitar? That's almost a must for guitar.
Quote by Linkerman

not very smart to rely on a tuner all of the time. like i said, tuning by ear is worth knowing how to do.

and what exactly IS a chromatic tuner?
Quote by Ze_Metal
A lot of death metal bands use tunings that you need a special set-up for though. Drop B, C standard, sometimes even B standard and drop A.

D standard is pretty common in metal in general, but if you are to lazy most stuff in D sounds fine in E. Different notes, but the sound of the intervals makes it alright.

I know, and i'm fine in going from standard to drop-d (only have to retune the low E string, and i can do that by ear).

What i need is suggestions of death metal / deathcore bands that play in standard or drop-d tunings.

Because i know the most famous bands (like the ones i like the most) use heavily dropped tunings. I'm just too lazy to do the same.
So, i prefer to play different songs than the ones i listen to, just so i don't have to mess with the tuning!

EDIT:
Quote by Ze_Metal
If your 6th string is tuned can you tune the whole guitar? That's almost a must for guitar.

Yes.

Quote by jess2112

A chromatic tuner is a tuner that tells you EXACTLY what note you are playing at that time.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 30, 2008,
Well, My favorite band "Blood tsunami" uses D standard but their 2 songs on this site sound just as good in E.

Try "Devoured By Flames". You can listen to the recording on their myspace (they aren't signed, but they are better then a lot of metal bands I heard) It's not a very easy song, but it will jsut take some practice.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Well, My favorite band "Blood tsunami" uses D standard but their 2 songs on this site sound just as good in E.

Try "Devoured By Flames". You can listen to the recording on their myspace (they aren't signed, but they are better then a lot of metal bands I heard) It's not a very easy song, but it will jsut take some practice.

Thanks, i will!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
you can always do what i do. just detune the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings for altered tunings. with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, just move the notes down however many frets.

for example, in D standard/drop C, for notes on the 1st-3rd strings, move them down 2 frets. drop B 3 frets, drop A# 4 frets, Db 1 fret, etc.
Quote by jess2112
not very smart to rely on a tuner all of the time. like i said, tuning by ear is worth knowing how to do.

its a tuner that you can tune to any note in the chromatic scale as in A A# B C C# D D# etc

that is better than some which only tune into the standard tunings.
Quote by jess2112

Will my tuner tell me lies?
Emperor until Prometheus.
Mayhem
Immortal until Damned In Black.

Not death metal, but all these bands have heavier, more pseudo death/black songs.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
being death metal its usually not super easy... well just mostly cause u have to know how to alt/economy pick fast and your set

Necrophagist songs are in D tuning... i have some that arent on ug... and i have the tab book for the epitaph cd... hit me up if ya want some

Muhammed Suicmez is one of the greatest sweepers youll ever see... especially in the solo of Fermented Offal Discharge... ya wanna get into metal, then just come talk to me

AIM: XiphosShr3dd3r
Quote by /-\liceNChains
If its drop b or c play it in drop D

NO.

What in the blue hell is the point of PURPOSELY learning to play a song wrong? That defeats the entire purpose of learning.

Also, whenever anyone makes a statement like this, I can't even fathom how that person doesn't realize how horrible their playing sounds when they do that.

Quote by SinisterScythe
*GASP* Dimmu borgir plays in Standard for there newest cd, check them out. Literally i think they play in standard all time.

B standard, so you're half right. At least, that's what Progenies is in because that's one of their few songs I can stand.
Last edited by Survivalism at Aug 11, 2008,
i happy to learn and listen that. i was always trying to avoid down tuning but when i just sucked it up and did it i never looked back. i now play in C# standard the majority of the time, and with the same string gauges i use for standard so no worries there.
Sculptor Of Flesh - 1349
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by JubeiTHPS
Will my tuner tell me lies?

no. what i meant was to learn to tune all the strings with at least one string tuned with no tuner.

and yes, my tuner doesn't register the notes of the low E string correctly sometimes. it tunes all the other strings fine, but not that one.

Quote by likhary
i happy to learn and listen that. i was always trying to avoid down tuning but when i just sucked it up and did it i never looked back. i now play in C# standard the majority of the time, and with the same string gauges i use for standard so no worries there.

+1
Quote by 08L1V10N
Sculptor Of Flesh - 1349

Is Black Metal.

Ermm. Yeah. Death Metal in Standard? You wont find much. Psycroptic play in Drop D though. Opeth play in standard. Death plays in D.

Cynic and I think Atheist play in Standard, but they're really hard to play.

EDIT! If you can tremolo pick, you should be able to play black metal pretty well. Try learning some black metal (lots of bands play in standard).
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote:
Originally Posted by /-\liceNChains
If its drop b or c play it in drop D

NO.

... YES.

what the **** is wrong with playing such stuff in drop d? it will sound JUST FINE (unless you're stupid enough to play it along with the actual song) just use guitar pro to play along and set the tuning in there to drop d instead of drop c/b/a#.
The Black Dahlia Murder plays in 2 steps down -.- crazy shit.
Try playing some lamb of god they are in dropped D alot.
Songs from lamb of god like 'Laid to rest" and contractor shouldnt be to hard after a year and a half.