Alright I got a guitar for christmas and have played since (about six months) and I still cant quite play a solo. I can play about half of the solo in sunshine of your love and I mess up the phrasing on the Tangerine by Zeppelin solo. I can play the beggining to Mississippi Queen. Also the first intro solo on Metallica's One. Is this normall. When will I get faster. I want to be able to play One all the way through within the next six months is this a reasonable goal. Comments will be appreciated.
I still can't solo properly (Alternate picking still stumps my poor old brain, and just sheer fitness lets me down), and I've been playing rather half-heartedly for 5 year plus now - It's perfectly normal, especially when starting out.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
One all the way through excluding the final solo is reasonable, however, the last solo will be impossible unless you do nothing but train. I've been playing for a little over a year now and I can't touch the last solo except the tapping part. But yeah, half a year for One's first solo is pretty good from what I myself experienced.
How quickly you learn it will depend on how much time and effort you put into it. It's different for everyone, just have fun and go for it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Korzack
I still can't solo properly (Alternate picking still stumps my poor old brain, and just sheer fitness lets me down), and I've been playing rather half-heartedly for 5 year plus now - It's perfectly normal, especially when starting out.

Thank God, im not the only one

Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Soloing and improvising? After year and half (my case)
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Thank all of you I was getting frustrated and just wanted to make sure I wasnt the only one. BTW when I do get one at least mostly down I'll post it on my profile.
Quote by jesus2nd
Thank God, im not the only one

+1
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Do u guys think I would be able to play the solo in you shook me all night long by acdc. It look pretty easy.
u should challange urself with solos, maybe get guitar pro if u dont have it, slow it down and proceed to speed it up as u get faster
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by sglover34479
Alright I got a guitar for christmas and have played since (about six months) and I still cant quite play a solo. I can play about half of the solo in sunshine of your love and I mess up the phrasing on the Tangerine by Zeppelin solo. I can play the beggining to Mississippi Queen. Also the first intro solo on Metallica's One. Is this normall. When will I get faster. I want to be able to play One all the way through within the next six months is this a reasonable goal. Comments will be appreciated.

Unlikely - it takes a LONG time to get good.

Try not to plan so far ahead, just set yourself realistic long term goals. Remember, your aim here is to "learn to play the guitar", not "learn to play specific thigs". As you get better and improve you'll be able to play more complex things, but you have to be patient and dilligent.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to play a solo after only six months, you're still firmly attached to your training wheels at that stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Unlikely - it takes a LONG time to get good.

Try not to plan so far ahead, just set yourself realistic long term goals. Remember, your aim here is to "learn to play the guitar", not "learn to play specific thigs". As you get better and improve you'll be able to play more complex things, but you have to be patient and dilligent.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to play a solo after only six months, you're still firmly attached to your training wheels at that stage.

+1
You gotta not try to compare yourself to others and put a time frame to how much you develop, just practice an hour a day or more and with time and practice you will be amazed how much you improve.
Thanks for your advice I knew that I was just wondering how I was doing compared to others.
Quote by sglover34479
Thanks for your advice I knew that I was just wondering how I was doing compared to others.

...and that's something that doesn't matter at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
At 6 months spend less time on lead and alot more time on rhythm. As your rhythm guitar improves so will your phrasing when doing lead work. And your wasting your time comparing to others. Everybody has different abilities some will progress faster than others.
depends on how much you want to solo, a lot of people get by just fine without soloing, others like me, cant do much other than solo. its best to try to be a balanced player.

but anyway check out Black Sabbaths first album, those were the first solos i learned and that was when iwas playing about six months,.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
check out Black Sabbaths first album, those were the first solos i learned and that was when iwas playing about six months,.

THX