Hey everyone, at the moment my little brother is trying to obtain a guitar because he wants to learn how to play (duh, I guess).

So we find something on craigslist, a Fender/Squier Starcaster, which I suppose would be a good guitar just for starting out.

But the guy who owns the guitar tells me that there is something wrong with the pickups, but supposedly it is an easy fix.

I don't know too much about fixing or maintaining guitars. I can play it, clean it, and change strings and not much else. I know you can only give me limited information on this, but has anyone had any experience with something like this? Some bolts to tighten or something?
Maybe pickup height?

If you play as well you might consider something a bit better. Usually you go for the cheap one to avoid wasting money if it doesn't catch on, but if you play it would make sense to use a guitar YOU would use if he didn't want it, so you wouldn't waste ANY money, know what I mean?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Cool that you want to get your brother a guitar. Nice gesture.

If at all possible i would stay away from the Starcaster. I hear they have shotty pickups and wiring and the body is actually made of stacked and glued pieces of plywood. What is your budget for this guitar because you can probably find a used MIM Strat or Squier for under $200. There was a picture floating around of Starcaster cut in half but i can't find it anymore. If someone has a different experience please let us know.

As far as stringing, tuning and set up there is good info on the fender.com web site under Set up or something and there is a Ultimate Guitar Set up thread run my jj1565 (sp?) where a lot of that kind of info is discussed.

Good luck and
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I'm going to be investing in a more expensive guitar soon though, so maybe I could give him my old Schecter, but I am broke right now so that might actually be a while. I might go check out the guitar and see, but yeah. Stuff.
I've got one of the HSS starcasters. I scratched away some finish in the tremelo cavity and it didn't look like plywood. The pickups stink, but for fun I put a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge, and aside from occasional tuning problems from the plastic nut (the trem actually ain't that bad) it's fairly useable.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
You can get Squiers new for >$150. If that's not too large of an investment, I would take that route.
I might just go new. No risk, and I could just take him to Guitar Center or something and let him try it before I buy it. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Yamaha Pacifica. Awesome guitars for starter guitars. Very reliable, and they're cheap.
+1 on the pacifica, but can you get them with a pack? Well, you can probably get a nice package deal on a microcube to go with it, and those added up should make for one happy beginning guitar player.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
+1 on the pacifica, those things kick ass.

the other thing is, assuming you haven't moved out or something, might it be wiser to let him use yours for a while first until he's sure he's going to stick with it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?